Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 11:46 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,329,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keknoob View Post
Also, anyone that thinks AZ has better tacos than LA is on some serious drugs.
Anyone who thinks AZ has better tacos than LA doesn't know a thing about tacos. I hired a boy just out of grad school (U of Oklahoma MBA & undergrad) who kept complaining about "LA" Mexican food compared to OK. I asked him where he was going and he named three places in Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach (where he lived). I embarked on a three month journey with him of a once a week lunch at a real LA Mexican place, hitting multiple regions of Mexican cuisine. He was blown away by how little he understood about Mexican food, especially tacos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2020, 12:27 PM

13,741 posts, read 9,830,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamo View Post
A studio in a nice part of Brentwood is going to be infinitely better for your quality of life, safety and wellbeing than a 3 bed house in like East LA.
Highly contentious, to say the least. That 2-bedroom house in East LA will partake of the general regional appreciation, improving your bottom-line. The studio in Brentwood will be costly... and ultimately is still only a studio.

In diametrical opposition to your post, I'd say, that one of the advantages of LA is that even the dodgy and "undesirable" neighborhoods enjoy good real-estate appreciation. And it's possible to buy a house that "needs work".... proceeding to do no work whatsoever... and later sell it for a profit, anyway.

Old 12-19-2020, 01:44 PM

6 posts, read 7,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Highly contentious, to say the least. That 2-bedroom house in East LA will partake of the general regional appreciation, improving your bottom-line. The studio in Brentwood will be costly... and ultimately is still only a studio.

In diametrical opposition to your post, I'd say, that one of the advantages of LA is that even the dodgy and "undesirable" neighborhoods enjoy good real-estate appreciation. And it's possible to buy a house that "needs work".... proceeding to do no work whatsoever... and later sell it for a profit, anyway.
Agree - I didn't say you'd make any money living in Brentwood. It sounded like the OP is renting for now and that seems like safe, desirable well-connected place for them to be.

Agree with you that there definitely was an opportunity to make some money buying in some of the dodgy areas a few years ago. An ex of mine made $300k on a place in Highland Park in just 2 years. It was great financially but having his car broken into multiple times a year and living alone in a place with bars on your windows is simply not for me. Another couple we know have made about $250k in Leimart Park but they can't even take their baby to the park down the street.

The days of making a big profit on cheap property in bad areas is numbered. It's all so overinflated now.

We own a condo in Playa Vista and are making our plans to move out of LA - and we're not even in a bad or dangerous area.

Old 12-20-2020, 01:26 PM

545 posts, read 518,274 times
Now would be a good time to plant your roots

The city takes a while to get to know. And with traffic down and so forth, you can spend a few months exploring without the huge traffic hassle

When things open back up, it's going to be madness

Old 12-21-2020, 01:59 PM

52,456 posts, read 53,001,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csonka View Post
Now would be a good time to plant your roots

The city takes a while to get to know. And with traffic down and so forth, you can spend a few months exploring without the huge traffic hassle

When things open back up, it's going to be madness
I'm noticing that afternoon traffic on the freeways is starting to build back up again. It's not as bad as before, but I can definitely tell that more and more people are out driving around now.

I think people are getting covid fatigue and are basically blowing off the stay at home orders.

Old 12-21-2020, 04:32 PM

13,741 posts, read 9,830,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm noticing that afternoon traffic on the freeways is starting to build back up again. It's not as bad as before, but I can definitely tell that more and more people are out driving around now.

I think people are getting covid fatigue and are basically blowing off the stay at home orders.
This is true, and this is precisely the result of protracted, intense restrictions.

What sort of a teenager rebels and causes mayhem? It's the kid who gets beaten for any minor offense, who is forced wake every morning at 5 am to milk the cows (without thanks or compensation), who is belittled and stymied and prohibited from having any fun. That is the kid, when finally escaping the parental yoke upon going off to college, who is going to get plastered-drunk, who is going to get mired in drugs, who is likely to end up with a teenage pregnancy and so forth.

Too much of a heavy-hand, will backfire. People are only human, and can only take so much. That holds for Los Angeles, or any other city, or any other country. It is not some blight against Los Angeles, as somehow being flighty, inconsiderate, vapid or selfish. It is a blight against our leadership, but that's a topic for another thread, and another sub-forum.

Old 12-22-2020, 02:50 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,526,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keknoob View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking too.

Also, anyone that thinks AZ has better tacos than LA is on some serious drugs.

you need to go to Yuma then and have some tacos.

I had DARE. I don't do drugs.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:05 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,329,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
you need to go to Yuma then and have some tacos.
Yuma is barely AZ. One shift of the Colorado River and it could be Mexico or California. It still isn't as good as LA. It is more akin to San Diego, which is okay for tacos, but less diverse than LA. Most of what you get in SD and Yuma is Sonoran.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:14 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,077,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Tacos and margaritas were better in AZ.

whoa whoa whoa, home boy. You just lost all credibility, there.

Old 12-22-2020, 01:32 PM

6,622 posts, read 4,936,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I'd say you don't really understand "Los Angeles". There is the City of Los Angeles, County of Los Angeles and the generic "Los Angeles" which can include parts of Orange County.

There are not any wildfires in urban LA. Malibu and the outlying areas can get them, but it certainly isn't every year. The high rates of Covid are in specific zip codes. I'd look at maps to see where that is. The homeless are not "everywhere" they are in select areas too.

It depends on where the job is and where you'd commute from. Los Angeles has many great neighborhoods and other cities, lots of great food and many unique opportunities for recreation.
The homeless are almost everywhere. Visibly, in large groups, no, but they are there, sometimes quietly living in not-derelict vehicles you pass by.

Also, the virus is arguably common enough to be a threat in every part of the county. This is new map the mayor was patting himself on the back about on TV yesterday. Of course it isn't good and leaves out % of residents and other important data points.
https://corona-virus.la/Map

Without a strong, specific reason to, don't move to Los Angeles soon. I'm not a bitter resident, but lately it's bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles