Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2023, 07:15 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,706,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
What about "The Royal Santa Monica Motel" at Santa Monica & Overland?
There is another motel across the street.

If you drive around, there are other rundown motels that don't advertise anywhere.

Check Skid Row hotels on 7th St. They may ask only $50 per night. The bus #720 goes directly to Santa Monica from there.
Yes, thank you, I did find the Royal Santa Monica. There used to be several in that strip, and that may be the last remaining one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2023, 07:19 PM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Well I guess if you brought antibacterial wipes and a dustbuster you'd be ok. OP, please keep us updated on what you find. More than a few of us are curious. Best of luck.

Old 07-07-2023, 08:02 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
De facto minimum wages are $20 and hour(IE while the legal min wage is lower, basically no one will work for less than $20/hr).

Times change.

You aren’t finding a motel room for under $100 a night(inclusive of taxes) anywhere in LA. Not even the worst of the worst. Even motel 6 in hood areas are over $150 a night. Not even notels are under $100.

Old 07-07-2023, 08:22 AM

I just checked the Motel 6 that I stayed at in late April 2022. As I recall it came to just under $100. Today's price is $63 (on a deal) add in taxes and you might get away with paying $80.

It's not that far from things. It's close to Knott's Berry Farm and the beach. It's on Valley View Boulevard in Buena Park. It was a little bit far from my peeps in Long Beach but Long Beach has much higher prices so I did the extra 10-15 mile drive, especially since I was only there for one night.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/BwTLahQpNzS9MTmu8

Old 07-07-2023, 08:51 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I just checked the Motel 6 that I stayed at in late April 2022. As I recall it came to just under $100. Today's price is $63 (on a deal) add in taxes and you might get away with paying $80.

It's not that far from things. It's close to Knott's Berry Farm and the beach. It's on Valley View Boulevard in Buena Park. It was a little bit far from my peeps in Long Beach but Long Beach has much higher prices so I did the extra 10-15 mile drive, especially since I was only there for one night.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/BwTLahQpNzS9MTmu8
Yeah, that's not at all what OP is looking for, unfortunately.

FWIW, you can definitely find cheap (under $100 and in many cases under $70) hotels everywhere in this country, even in California. But you'll pay for them in other ways - primarily, gas and time it takes to get you places you want to go.

Old 07-07-2023, 09:06 AM

Why is it not at all what OP is looking for? OP's looking for something close to $50 which is impossible these days. The closest thing is what I linked. It's a decent place, I parked right in font of my door and no one messed with my car (and yes, there was a lot of visible stuff in it because I was traveling). This type of place and location is going to be the best OP can find under current circumstances.

I understand from another thread that you are from, or highly acquainted with, Whittier. No way is OP going to find anything for $80 in Whittier. I am from the Inland Empire (Claremont area) NO WAY is there anything under $100 in that area. More like $150/night unless it's a flophouse on Holt or Mission in Pomona. Even then, the cost is likely at least $70 and more like $80-90. (I have not checked.)

OP is going to have to pay to be close to sites they want to see, or pay less and drive or take public transportation. We all know what public transportation is like in L.A. There is no way I would want to try and get around via public transportation, especially as a tourist who doesn't know my way around!

Old 07-07-2023, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Why is it not at all what OP is looking for?
Because he's clearly stated which areas he was looking for and your example wasn't even remotely near any of them.

Old 07-07-2023, 09:44 AM

The point is, what OP is looking for is not possible and therefore OP will have to compromise or sleep in the rental car. That's not such a bad idea. People do it all the time for various reasons.

Old 07-07-2023, 09:49 AM

Quote:
This type of place and location is going to be the best OP can find under current circumstances.
Be that as it may, it's still irrelevant. Do you know that (s)he will have a car at their disposal?
Quote:
I understand from another thread that you are from, or highly acquainted with, Whittier.
I really wish people would stop drawing far-reaching conclusions from single forum posts. I am not "either from, or highly acquainted with Whittier". I've been there a few times. Either way, since Whittier is also nowhere remotely near OP's intended geography, it, too, is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.
Quote:
No way is OP going to find anything for $80 in Whittier. I am from the Inland Empire (Claremont area) NO WAY is there anything under $100 in that area. More like $150/night unless it's a flophouse on Holt or Mission in Pomona. Even then, the cost is likely at least $70 and more like $80-90. (I have not checked.)
All of this is true (especially about Claremont - having gone to school at CMC for three years, that is an area I'm familiar with). But, again, none of this helps the OP any. Mainly because, as I've said before, what he's looking for doesn't exist.

Old 07-07-2023, 09:50 AM

Quote:
The point is, what OP is looking for is not possible and therefore OP will have to compromise or sleep in the rental car. That's not such a bad idea. People do it all the time for various reasons.
Again - how do you know they will even have one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles