Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 12:35 PM

514 posts, read 1,441,473 times

Advertisements

Thanks,I tried my best to behave and not have to go into details considering most everyone complains about the same stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clnconcpts View Post
Since i have moved,I dont miss a darn thing. Its too each their own.Cali is a great place compared to other locations,Their are just some issues that one has to deal with.If you are ok with it,then great for you.
That's a pretty good way to put it.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:14 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,146 times
Quote:
Whatever you have in whatever smaller city in whatever state you are coming from, you are NOT escaping it by coming here.
Yes because LA is not different than a small city in say...hmm...the South. Have you actually visited some of these small cities? There are all sorts of things they could escape (blatant racism, discrimination against your religion or lack thereof etc etc).

Old 07-20-2008, 02:24 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
Its what you are most comfortable with. If life in LA is too stressful\ incomplete than the individual should move; who wouldn't?

For some living in Los Angeles is near perfect. Personally I can't think of a better city for me [excluding other cities in California]. When I fly from back East into LA I feel like I am home safely in California. Because of where I live in the foothills I grow some of the rarest\ exotic palms in California. No frost & some winter the lowest nights are in the 40's [maybe upper 30's in some colder winters]. I love winter in LA since the hills are green & lush with growth, the air is clean yet it is nearly always comfortable every day [average winter maximums: low 70's]. You can be outside every day playing sports. Summers are also great but a little too warm some days. My view of the LA basin & San Gabriel Mts is fantastic & visual every day except when it is very hazy/smoggy [that isn’t very often..

If I couldn't live in an area of LA that was comfortable for me, then I would likely move to another area of California. I know the state quite well & have lived in northern Sacramento valley\ Chico, also the San Joaquin valley \Fresno [where I was born] as well as the Bay Area\ Oakland & Vallejo & later I lived in the Salinas valley. None of these areas are particularly exciting but close to wonderful mountains\ Sierra-Lake Tahoe or close to San Francisco\ Monterey bay\ Big Sur.

There are so many interesting & less interesting places to live in both Los Angeles & California. Life is too short to be unhappy where you live.

But for those who leave California, there is a longing to come back & many people complain that their new home state is boring & not particularly impressive. To each his or her own.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:46 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Yes because LA is not different than a small city in say...hmm...the South. Have you actually visited some of these small cities? There are all sorts of things they could escape (blatant racism, discrimination against your religion or lack thereof etc etc).
Apparently you haven't traveled through LA: I experience blatant racism several times a week and discrimination on religious basis anytime I wander into the Jewish section of town. I repeat: there's nothing in LA that doesn't happen everywhere or anywhere else in the country.

There beaches on the east coast as well as the west coast. There are snow covered mountains in other states that have great skiing, in fact Vail, Colorado is a skiing hot spot. There are concrete jungles (cities) in almost every state and there are green areas (parks) in other states. But the green in in much more abundance outside of LA. There's nothing special about LA, it's just another overcrowded city in the USA.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:01 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,146 times
Quote:
Apparently you haven't traveled through LA
I have lived in and around LA for more than 20 years.

Quote:
I repeat: there's nothing in LA that doesn't happen everywhere or anywhere else in the country.
Dude, are you serious? I mean seriously? Some small towns don't even have movie theaters. If you are just talking about racism here, then sure it happens everywhere but not all the same scale. There are many small towns where someone who isn't white simply can't live peacefully. The race relations in LA are pretty good in comparison to other metro areas.

Quote:
There's nothing special about LA, it's just another overcrowded city in the USA.
There are many things special about LA, after all if there wasn't this thread wouldn't exist. The question is whether the "special things" about LA matter to you.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:03 PM

87 posts, read 411,320 times
I love LA

Old 07-20-2008, 05:05 PM

21 posts, read 36,639 times
If you're from Los Angeles your the one degrading the city by not knowing how to spell degrading! ...and really! ...and forum! It's all opinions calm down.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:41 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
I have lived in and around LA for more than 20 years.

Then you should know better. You should understand that blatant racism does exist in LA or you are white and rich and have the priviledge of not having to deal with the realities of racism.

Dude, are you serious? I mean seriously? Some small towns don't even have movie theaters. If you are just talking about racism here, then sure it happens everywhere but not all the same scale. There are many small towns where someone who isn't white simply can't live peacefully. The race relations in LA are pretty good in comparison to other metro areas.

Having a movie theatre doesn't make LA special. Tell that to Jamal Shaw's family. He was killed simply for being Black. A man having a bachelor party at a strip club was killed by police who were acquitted simply because he was Black. A 16 yo was beaten by Inglewood (LA) police and acquitted simply because the kid was Black.

There are many things special about LA, after all if there wasn't this thread wouldn't exist. The question is whether the "special things" about LA matter to you.

No, the OP wants everyone to say that LA is a great and wonderful place and ignore all the things wrong with and not acknowledge the bad things. I will NOT mislead people into thinking this is paradise when it is not. There is nothing special about LA. It is simply a sprawling concrete jungle. Once upon a time it was the movie capital. Mobies are now made all over the country and other countries becasue LA is not as film friendly as it used to be. There is a reason most production companies, record labels and radio stations moved out of LA.
The truth isn't always pretty.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:39 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,204,833 times
May I suggest that if you want to make L.A. appear to be an appealing place to live, at least do spell check before you post

Old 07-20-2008, 09:09 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
That picture is taken from a post card, Done in a pro. photo lab. with the snow on the mountains shows the picture was taken right after a storm. And after a storm is the only time it will be clear, The rest of time you can't see the mountains because of the smog. It is not a true picture of Los Angeles. A true picture would be LAPD, jail and La county jail. The gangs and trash and the smell of the cesspool. Come on get real.
Actually I can see the mountains from my window most days. It ain't always clear, but there they are, big as life.

And equating Los Angeles with a cesspool means we Angelenos are little more than sewage. I got WAY too much pride to let something that asinine go by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles