Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:07 AM

95 posts, read 431,353 times

Advertisements

My sense is that a lot of posters are feeling not so great about LA. I moved away about a year and a half ago (native to the east coast, but in So. Cal. on/off for about 10 years), and I have to say that I miss it more than I thought I would. I am happy to have seasons again, but there is something to be said for the weather and I really miss my car. I thought I would be super happy to get back to an area with better public transportation, but there is something to be said to leaving work whenever you want and just hopping in your car and going. I miss driving with the top down through the canyons, my little spainish bungalow in studio city and my favorite restaurant place. There are a lot of drawbacks (traffic, earthquakes, pollution), but take some time to appreciate the positives of LA too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 09:04 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
I love these threads that are trying to force people to say nice things about LA. It reinforces my belief that the toursim board is hard at work in this forum trying to keep people from knowing how horrible life in LA is. There are other places besides LA where one can have a car so one can "jump in and go" after work. In fact, the last time I checked cars weren't banned in New Jersey or anywhere on the East Coast. Go buy a car, thank your lucky starts you escaped LA and Enjoy!

Old 07-31-2008, 09:16 AM

236 posts, read 789,355 times
I think it's all a matter of matching your needs to what a city has to offer. LA is perfect for some, a hell hole for others.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:27 AM

4 posts, read 40,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesallimc View Post
I think it's all a matter of matching your needs to what a city has to offer. LA is perfect for some, a hell hole for others.
Exactly! To each his own. Hell some Iraqis even missed Iraq

Old 07-31-2008, 11:54 AM

95 posts, read 431,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I love these threads that are trying to force people to say nice things about LA. It reinforces my belief that the toursim board is hard at work in this forum trying to keep people from knowing how horrible life in LA is. There are other places besides LA where one can have a car so one can "jump in and go" after work. In fact, the last time I checked cars weren't banned in New Jersey or anywhere on the East Coast. Go buy a car, thank your lucky starts you escaped LA and Enjoy!
Not from the tourism board, and trust me there were a lot of things that bugged me about L.A., but also trust me while my car is not banned in the tri-state area, I would have to be crazy to try and drive to work every day. The rush hour traffic rivals L.A., the parking rates in midtown Manhattan are nuts and, unlike my employer in Century City, employers here are unlikely to pay for your parking because you can take public transportation. No attempt to pain L.A. as a shangri-la, but just a suggestion that you don't always appreciate the positives about a place while you're there.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:05 PM

236 posts, read 789,355 times
Maybe you should consider looking for a place that has all the qualities you are looking for. I think a valid point was made in that there are many cities (not just LA) where you can drive...

Old 07-31-2008, 12:26 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
thanks NJ girl for your perspective.

some people are so bitter with their experiences they cant trully appreciate another persons happiness.

i am very happy here. and im not part of the tourism board either.

come back and visit.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:41 PM

640 posts, read 3,075,417 times
The same thing happened to me NJ girl. I moved back to Philly after 14 years in California. I couldn't wait to get out of there, I actually thought I hated California. It took quite a few years of reflection that made me realize it wasn't California but other things going on in my life that made me want to escape. I've been back many times over the years and each time I go, I love being back there. Now that my life is completely different from those times, I can absolutely see myself moving back. Maybe one day...

Old 07-31-2008, 01:34 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times
That's what i've been telling people that having to drive everywhere really isn't that bad,because it gives you a sense of freedom and your also able to explore so many new places as you drive around,and it's always nice to have your own vehicle as it defines your sense of style and personality.

Their are lots of positives of living in L.A or in California,but so many people are too busy focusing on the negatives,and no I don't work for the tourism board either

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGirl12 View Post
My sense is that a lot of posters are feeling not so great about LA. I moved away about a year and a half ago (native to the east coast, but in So. Cal. on/off for about 10 years), and I have to say that I miss it more than I thought I would. I am happy to have seasons again, but there is something to be said for the weather and I really miss my car. I thought I would be super happy to get back to an area with better public transportation, but there is something to be said to leaving work whenever you want and just hopping in your car and going. I miss driving with the top down through the canyons, my little spainish bungalow in studio city and my favorite restaurant place. There are a lot of drawbacks (traffic, earthquakes, pollution), but take some time to appreciate the positives of LA too.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:39 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
But I'm sure you just love the threads that are started to hate on LA and say negative things about it. Did you ever think for one minute there are people who like it and love it here and not all people hate it like you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles