Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 08:06 PM

656 posts, read 1,356,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post

There is a program in LA to assist teachers in buying a home. That's how most of them buy these days. The program allows teachers (and police officers) to biy a home for 50% of the asking price.

What areas are these homes in? I know back on the east they have programs for police officers to buy homes for discounts, however many of the houses are in not so desirable areas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 08:12 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
To ebuch: The areas are all over LA. But they will predominately be in poorer neighborhoods, but those neighborhoods are not necessarily bad. Check the HUD website for listings.

To the One: I rode public transportation for 15 years and still use it on occaision. I am more than qualified to comment on its effectiveness and it riders. And if you read what I wrote, I very clearly wrote MOST. Just because you and your friends fall out of the norm, doesn't mean what I wrote isn't true.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:18 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
Yeah I don't know of any programs like that.

I know there are tons of weird things like differed loans, interest only, ARMs, no down, over 100% financing, lower rates and perhaps a relocation "discount" to teach in a rough area of a certain amount of years, but 50% off, I've never heard of that.

If your local school is in "program improvement", has a low API score or if a certain number of students are on reduced or free lunch you get some savings perks as a teacher/staff as well.

Even without a discount or help, first year teachers could come very close to buying a house on their own. And if the government doesn't do anymore stupid to bail out people who are in trouble, owning a house on a teacher's salary without any help can be, once again, a reality.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:24 PM

656 posts, read 1,356,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
To ebuch: The areas are all over LA. But they will predominately be in poorer neighborhoods, but those neighborhoods are not necessarily bad. Check the HUD website for listings.
Just checked them out, actually had a decent house in the Santa Clarita area which I have heard is a pretty good area to own a home in.

Well, if I end up coming out there and working for LAPD it looks like I picked a great time to start saving and buying a house in the next couple years compared to what the home cost were a few years back.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:57 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
What areas are these homes in? I know back on the east they have programs for police officers to buy homes for discounts, however many of the houses are in not so desirable areas...
According to the LAUSD website:

"The Teacher Next Door program offers HUD-owned, single family homes located in designated revitalization areas, to teachers at a 50 percent discount."

So yes, the program does exist (or it DID, anyway -- the link no longer works), but when I hear the term "revitalization areas," I have to think that the properties aren't in the best parts of the city. More details are available at the HUD website.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:00 PM

81 posts, read 367,410 times
Its not that bad. Its just what people like and dislike, I love O.C! and Parts of L.A and even S.L.O, EJ from Ladera

Old 12-18-2008, 10:30 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
According to the LAUSD website:

"The Teacher Next Door program offers HUD-owned, single family homes located in designated revitalization areas, to teachers at a 50 percent discount."

So yes, the program does exist (or it DID, anyway -- the link no longer works), but when I hear the term "revitalization areas," I have to think that the properties aren't in the best parts of the city. More details are available at the HUD website.

Wow, didn't know it actually existed. Or at the very least I didn't actually think it'd be 50%.

I know a lot of programs now, as probably mentioned earlier, have been kicked to the curb for the time being. At least until the credit crunch is over.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:39 AM

147 posts, read 383,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
ok ill bite.

LA is great. i dont make more than 100K or 150k(the minimum for a family )

i do more than survive, i thrive in LA. as do the kids.

the weather is great, altho we could have more rainy days.

the pollutions is dreary sometimes. but windy and rainy days take that all away! (but its still not as bad as the 80's)

the traffic is a mess somedays, but if you can navigate the city on surface streets you will be fine.

and mass transit does exist. except if you live 20+ miles out of DT. then its hit and miss.
but i rely on PT for a lot of things(live within 5mi of DTLA). its possible.

as for regular people living here... lots do. my LAPD folks do live in the city. in up and coming areas, in established neighborhoods. i got teacher friends and they are able to have their own apts. some even have their own homes.

its is possible. it all comes down to money mngmnt. thats it really.

dont beleive the hype, there are plenty of people who live in LA and dont need to stack themselves 12 deep to a garage.

there are a lot of myths.

the
thriving
one
Either you are totally out of touch with reality or you haven't been gentrified.

Southern California use to be nice, but the traffic always sucks, rarely do you see a pristine day, the beaches are overcrowded, the housing costs are not inline with the actual median incomes. Houses going for over $500,000 in El Monte, get real.

The only thing L.A. has going for it is it's underground economy where you can always find a job and rent a room during hard times, but then again most people have been living through hard times in L.A. making $15 a hour. You just don't hear about it very much in the media or sites like this. Who would want to move here if they really knew the truth?

The quality of life in L.A. even when compared to Texas a state of 24 million sucks.

BTW, things are going to get much worse, especially for those who have to adjust, after prospering on the back of the largest ponzi scheme in the history of mankind which has just collapsed on a global scale.

Enjoy your posh overvalued homes while you can, I may end up buying it.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-20-2008 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: Offensive

Old 12-20-2008, 01:28 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,055,527 times
You know, the funny thing is... everyone who has answered this thread is telling the truth - even though they seem to be contradicting each other. LA is all these things and more. It isn't some teeny tiny town where a blanket generalization will work for the whole place.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:31 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
You know, the funny thing is... everyone who has answered this thread is telling the truth - even though they seem to be contradicting each other. LA is all these things and more. It isn't some teeny tiny town where a blanket generalization will work for the whole place.
So true. You really can find whatever you want someone in the L.A. area.

I'm reminded of this as I'm having a discussion in another category about public displays of affection. The small town people are all having a tizzy about people who display affection in public. Can you imagine living in L.A. and getting upset about two people kissing in public?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles