Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 01:19 AM

636 posts, read 2,644,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
As of now I earn around ~$200k in TX. Don't know if the jobs in LA pay as much as Houston, at least in my field. I could certainly make $70k though.

I don't see how money avoids those problems though.
Money doesn't avoid the problems of LA. The rich pull out of their Beverly Hills driveway in their jags and get caught in the same traffic as the rest of us. They breath the same smoggy air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
My opinion.
After taxes your take home pay is about $62,000.
An average 1bdrm apt can cost $1,500 to $2,000 per month, figure $20,000 for the year. You are down to $42,000. Food, car, insurance, entertainment, a vacation, incidentals can easily take another $25,000.
You now have $17,000. That much should be saved for a future home purchase and retirement.

The man is attorney, they can make that easily here. But making $200k in Texas is nice. If you like it there and you like your job you should consider staying. Attorneys here do make that much too.
Most people in LA live paycheck to paycheck. Eliminate the fancy vacations and savings and you can make it on a smaller paycheck. And folks making a decent salary (let's say 50K and above) with large families take home more than 62% of their pay.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
Most LA cops live outside of LA.
Jose and his brothers live in 10 people in a garage and dont pay for healthcare.
I'm talking about normal people living in normal accomadations.
Most LA cops have a working spouse. Folks with names other than "Jose" live in multi family units.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
That $20k will definitely help. I guess what it all comes down to is what lifestyle you want. Some people are happy renting a room in someone's house, eating mac and cheese every night, and watching their 13" TV with rabbit ears every night. But if you want a place of your own and have a few nice things, it gets expensive. Hobbies and friends are expensive too and can really blow your budget. Someone always wants to go somewhere and do something, its always someone's birthday, baby shower, etc and all that takes money. Even when it feels like I'm not spending anything on myself, it feels like money disappears quicker than it should. I'm not saying $100k isn't a good salary for a single but its not the life of luxury many might think.
Driving in LA is expensive with maintenance, insurance and gas. NOT having a car has a major impact on your quality of life.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthursChoice View Post
I think the post was speaking to the idea if you want to live a DECENT life in LA. Those people that you mentioned aren't living they are just surviving. You can SURVIVE in Los Angeles with much less and live next door to Jose and his twelve brothers and sisters and the the two grandma's, but but if you want a stab at a quality life in Los Angeles...you need some bucks, and that's the truth!
Goodness. Stop picking on poor Jose. If you are using Jose to represent an undocumented immigrant, his life in LA, while not as luxurious as yours, might represent an improvement to him and his family.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
Well, as I mentioned, the link no longer works -- so it's possible that the program has been (at least temporarily) discontinued. Dunno .....
I heard that some of these housing subsidy programs became too popular and are on hiatus.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:26 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALady View Post
Goodness. Stop picking on poor Jose. If you are using Jose to represent an undocumented immigrant, his life in LA, while not as luxurious as yours, might represent an improvement to him and his family.
And that's the basic problem with LA and the people flooding in and lowering its standard of living. No matter how big of a slum LA turns into, as long as its still just a little better than the life he had south of the border, Jose sees no problem with it. I don't want to live like someone at the bottom of the economic scale in a third world country. Why would I want to surround myself with it here?

Old 12-28-2008, 07:14 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,929 times
Jose the Plumber..??

If we don't want illegals, or those willing to endure no healthcare, pension, benefits, prevailing wage protections, et al then perhaps we should hold their employers accountable. Sadly, I don't see that happening. In fact, I have NEVER heard a single employer bemoaning immigrant labor, much less proposing immigration reform. Why should they? They can pay (or not pay) whatever they want.

These employers are lowering our standard of living by failing to pay a living wage. The bar just gets lower and lower. And it isn't just L.A.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:22 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
Jose the Plumber..??

If we don't want illegals, or those willing to endure no healthcare, pension, benefits, prevailing wage protections, et al then perhaps we should hold their employers accountable. Sadly, I don't see that happening. In fact, I have NEVER heard a single employer bemoaning immigrant labor, much less proposing immigration reform. Why should they? They can pay (or not pay) whatever they want.

These employers are lowering our standard of living by failing to pay a living wage. The bar just gets lower and lower. And it isn't just L.A.
The scumbag employers love illegals because they're cheap. The honest businessmen who try to run a legitimate business, pay their taxes, pay a fair wage, carry insurance, and comply with laws and regulations are in a tough spot because their costs are so much higher than the scumbag who's hiring illegals. I agree that the solution to the problem is with the people employing them. If business owners and managers had to spend 5 years in Federal pound me in the ash prison for every illegal they hired, things would be a lot different.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:00 PM

142 posts, read 273,051 times
when did this become an immigration discussion?
you all sound like new yorkers when all the irish showed up and lowered the wages and working conditions but hey it worked out all by itself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles