Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 02:05 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,207,343 times

Advertisements

Absaf*******lutely nothing except authentic Mexican food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 12:25 AM

14 posts, read 76,328 times
Awww....
I'm probably leaving within the month and I know I'm going to miss ALOT about Long Beach. I'm going to miss:

-Spontaneous wine sodden evenings on the deck with all my wonderful neighbors
-2nd Street
-Taco Surf
-Walking on the beach path
-Christmas lights on the marina
-the Boat Parade
-Hell, all the parades, even the ones where they dress up the dogs
-all the good looking men(sure they're cocky, but fun to look at)!
-Stroll n Savor in the summertime
-an AMAZING number of great sushi restaurants
-the city skyline
-Dodger games
-Rosie the English Bulldog who rides around 2nd in that little red wagon
-wearing flip flops in the dead of winter
-palm trees

I could go on and on. But I know that there will be things I'll like about the place I'm going. Hopefully I won't die of misery before I figure out what those things are! : )

Old 12-26-2007, 06:38 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
My family! My friends! Being able to visit my grandmothers, mothers and fathers graves often! The familiarity of CA/LA.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,416 times
What do I miss about L.A.? Gee, I guess the gunshots in the distance, the smog; getting all my minerals in one breath, having to get up and close the curtains and lock the doors when the helicopters are overhead, the brown water in the Santa Monica Bay with its’ 152 chemicals, the new diseases brought in from all over the world, the cons. The 405 freeway (named because it takes 4 or 5 hours to get anywhere). No stars in the sky. I came to the conclusion that half of L.A. is terrified of the other half but will never know who is who because no one ever looks or speaks to anyone they don’t know. It didn’t used to be that way in ‘67. It really was peace and love and kindness.
I took Spanish for two years at Santa Monica College because I went on tour with John Lee Hooker & Canned Heat 1979-1984 every year to Mexico city, Puebla and Ixtapa. It's so beautiful in the mountains between those cities, a little over an hour apart by the band tour bus. NOBODY speaks English in Mexico City. I love speaking Spanish in L.A. and laugh at the Spanglish - [a truck in not a "trucke", it's a camion]. I always get praise for learning the language so well. I discovered that it is a key that opens a lot of doors to a lot of very nice people. I had help from my compadres in Venice Beach with my grammer. If you don't use it, you lose it - that applies with everything, right? So I use it whenever I can. Fun!
Besides that, the pros to L.A. are long-term friends (who have not moved, married and/or disappeared), the concerts at The Greek/Hollywood Bowl, great bands - like Fleetwood Mac, Who, Zep, Gazzarri’s (gone now), The Rainbow: which is THE best restaurant in L.A., & guys I used to hang out with like Jim Morrison (he was NOT like the movie in '67 & '68 - that was to sell tickets. He loved to play little tricks and get attention in a crowd, but walking the srtreets until 4:000 A.M. in Hollywood just talking about things was cool.), Ozzie, Alice Cooper, and many other musicians like me in the old days. Many of us pro musicians are still alive, I know them [even though the L.A. music scene has fallen apart since the greedy Pay-to Play promoters came to town. What happened to house bands where you could count on that same great group being there any night for 2 - 6 months? Now it’s a different band every night - usually bad ones].
The beach; as I “Escaped from L.A.” 2 months ago to nice, clean north of L.A. where the folks are nice, you can see the stars in the sky, and the music scene is alive and well, I guess this is the best, the way L.A. was in the Love Summer of 1967. Nice people, mostly. Clean air and green water. No gunshots nor helicopters every night.
So what if I have to drive an hour to go to L.A. for business? It’s worth it.
So wherever you are going, just try to stay away from SNOW! It’s for skiing, visiting. Man was not meant to live in it. I spent my first 12 years going to school in 6 degrees below in the countryside outside of Cleveland. I don’t miss it a bit. But that’s just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Last edited by VenturaRockStar1; 12-05-2009 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: add remarks

Old 12-06-2009, 03:59 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,357,901 times
I'm planning on leaving LA when I go to college next year. I'm hoping to either go to the Bay Area, NYC, or Upstate New York. Maybe Seattle. Mainly I just want to try something new. I might not like it though, and if I don't, then I can always move back to LA after school.

I think the one thing I will miss most about LA is the people. Everyone is always in a good mood. It's very easy to talk to strangers, strike up a conversation with anyone walking down the street. I imagine in NYC if you just said hi to a random stranger, they would think you are creepy, ignore you and walk away. Me and my friend always say to random people while walking around. We have some pretty simple conversations and just talk for like a minute, but its still fun. I just made new friends Friday night whom I had never met in my life. They're really cool and funny and we might be hanging out Tuesday night and going mini golfing soon. LOL.

For some reason, I just don't imagine many other places having these types of friendly encounters.

Another thing is the Mexican food. OMG...Upstate New York might kill me. If I go too long without a good burrito and chips and guacamole, I actually start getting a little depressed. At one point I even settled for Taco Bell!!

Also, the people of SoCal are some of the most attractive people in the world, IMO.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:03 PM

174 posts, read 488,581 times
my parents
my ex co-workers
south coast plaza
king taco
trader joes
mountains
weather
carls jr
kmart
rite-aid

Old 12-06-2009, 04:55 PM

252 posts, read 961,178 times
Decent Mexican food, cosmopolitan vibe, pleasant weather.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:02 AM

260 posts, read 768,998 times
I moved to Seattle and I love the cool cloudy days and rain. That said, I miss the sunny dispositions of most Californians. I miss hearing laughter.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:37 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,480,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcalgal View Post
I miss hearing laughter.
I notice that too, here in the midwest people seem scared to laugh or have a good time. It's so serious here and somber.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:44 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I notice that too, here in the midwest people seem scared to laugh or have a good time. It's so serious here and somber.
I guess midwesterners (and southerners) think that if you are laughing, then you aren't praying. Or tithing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles