Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 49,943 times

Advertisements

Trust me - even when you live in the house and have to move your own trash bin to park it's a BIG pain in the ass - but where I live it comes down to selfish neighbors running business' out of their homes and not caring about their own neighbors, let alone their own neighbor's rights - I guess some people just feel more chosen than the rest of us right! it would just be nice if the City of Los Angeles did their job and ENFORCED all laws, like zoning codes which would not make the trash bins necessary for anyone to deal with! Now the City has an excuse "budget cuts", but its been the same ol' S*%* in LA forever, they just ignore things and hire incompetent lazy people who just collect their paycheck and benefits and do nothing - so that's how it gets out of hand! You know there's those people who get away with something then have to keep pushing the envelope!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 11:36 AM

3 posts, read 49,943 times
Trust me - even when you live in the house and have to move your own trash bin to park it's a BIG pain in the ass - but where I live it comes down to selfish neighbors running business' out of their homes and not caring about their own neighbors, let alone their own neighbor's rights - I guess some people just feel more chosen than the rest of us right! it would just be nice if the City of Los Angeles did their job and ENFORCED all laws, like zoning codes which would not make the trash bins necessary for anyone to deal with! Now the City has an excuse "budget cuts", but its been the same ol' S*%* in LA forever, they just ignore things and hire incompetent lazy people who just collect their paycheck and benefits and do nothing - so that's how it gets out of hand! You know there's those people who get away with something then have to keep pushing the envelope!

Old 07-16-2010, 11:51 AM

245 posts, read 585,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGuy View Post
Hi! i have a neighbor that uses their trash bin to prevent other people from parking in their spot on a public street. And no, it is not trash pick up day. Is this illegal?

They even told me to move my car, but i told them i have a right to park anywhere i please and that they don't own the street.

What recourse do i have with this neighbor hogging public parking spaces?
I'd let the police handle the matter.
They get paid to resolve issues;let them resolve it.
It's probably a violation of local ordinances anyway to place objects in the road w/o a valid reason,anyway.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:12 PM

40 posts, read 153,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banevader View Post
I'd let the police handle the matter.
They get paid to resolve issues;let them resolve it.
It's probably a violation of local ordinances anyway to place objects in the road w/o a valid reason,anyway.
How about a twist on that problem. For 18 years now I have put out my trash containers in front of my house. My neighbour's kid has decided to park her vehicle in that spot now. Consequently I have to move the containers over in front of someone else's house. Even when she leaves for a few hours and I am able to put the containers out in front of my house, she will come back later in the evening and move the containers back away from the curb so the trash people will not pick them up.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 7,590 times
you are just like my neighbor here who takes someone else parking space. it's not our fault that you can't park on your own spot or garage because you have tons of stuff in it or you have 8 cars for 1 house. think of it as personal space, unless you are from europe...you don't know what it means...so make room in your own spot!

Old 09-07-2011, 11:34 PM

497 posts, read 1,503,616 times
If this is in the City of Los Angeles:

Trash Containers cannot be placed/left on the street 24 hours before/after pickup.

If someone is doing this and you complain about it, they will inspect:
1st offense is a warning letter.
2nd offense requires a mandatory meeting at the dept of Sanitation office.
3rd offense: Trashbins are taken away from the residence/collection service is suspended. That address will have to hire a private collection company.

Reason: Trash bins are city property and pose a liability hazard to motorists if left on the street. City doesnt want to be held liable because their property is in the street and causes and accident/injury.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:26 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,857,456 times
It's annoying and yes, it is illegal as it's an obstruction in the road. When I lived in Koreatown, parking was super-bad and people would do this... they'd also all pitch in as a family, buy a beater that barely ran and often didn't have tags, and then park it across two spaces after the main breadwinner(s) left for work so they had a spot later.

After months of asking, negotiating, demanding, and moving trash cans (and even once, an old sofa!), I got fed up after looking for parking for over two hours and placed about ten calls to the city. They went up and down the street during the day and ticketed people, towed cars, etc.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:06 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,323,616 times
My two neighbors have 13 cars combined. They both have 8-10 people living there each. It is not fair to inconvenience all the other neighbors because you have so many f'ing cars and people living in such a small house. When it's trash day there is no place to put our trash cans outside but of course they always find a spot in front of their house.

The funny thing is when visitors come and park in front of their house, you should SEE how upset they get!

Old 09-08-2011, 06:22 PM

497 posts, read 1,503,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
My two neighbors have 13 cars combined. They both have 8-10 people living there each. It is not fair to inconvenience all the other neighbors because you have so many f'ing cars and people living in such a small house. When it's trash day there is no place to put our trash cans outside but of course they always find a spot in front of their house.

The funny thing is when visitors come and park in front of their house, you should SEE how upset they get!
That Really must be a drag. 13 cars for one house? How many bedrooms? 2?

Old 11-01-2012, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 7,059 times
I have the opposite problem. My neighbor moves my trash cans on the day you put them, and then doesn't put them back; therefore, the trash man bypasses my cans because they are not on the street. What do I do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles