Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2012, 06:37 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
I won. You lost. Hilarious that you, a Californian, thinks you're fit to talk to someone else about food.

Don't get made at me because your hometown hero burger joint is overrated and lousy. Try getting out of California so you can see what a real burger tastes like.

Delusional? You? Dont be mad because I brought in ACTUAL opinion polls and quotes from actual chefs that point to In N Out being at the very top, its ok, you may rebound from this epic failure. Maybe not....

Old 06-08-2012, 08:30 AM

583 posts, read 884,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Delusional?
What, u mad, bro?

Proof's in the opinion. You think INO is the best burger in America. We all know your opinion is worthless.

Here's a great expert opinion discussing why INO is horrible and the free pass it gets in California:

http://www.dmagazine.com/Home/D_Maga...ut_Burger.aspx

Last edited by GregHenry; 06-08-2012 at 08:48 AM..

Old 06-08-2012, 09:05 AM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
"Hey guys... you know what I'm thinking?"
"... Double Double?"
"yyyyYYYYYYEEEEEEAAAHH!!!"
"Oh my god... ME TOO!"
"OHHHH I LOOOOOOVE IN N OUT!!"
"I know - isn't In N Out THE BEST THING IN THE WHOLE WORLD?"

That seems to be what some people think it's like in California.
They are right to think that. Sounds exactly how younger kids talk.

You forgot "YEEEAAAAHHHH!!! Dooooooood! Animal style is the BOOOOOOOMB!!"

Old 06-08-2012, 09:12 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
In-n-Out's fries suck though. They used to be sliced fresh for each order. Now they come out of a bag.
The one Five Guys I went to seemed to brag about the fact that their fries came out of a bag -- I mean, they had them piled up right next to the line.

Quote:
Yeah, I mean, at no point in my time here have I been with a carload of Californians when all of a sudden someone goes:

"Hey guys... you know what I'm thinking?"
"... Double Double?"
"yyyyYYYYYYEEEEEEAAAHH!!!"
"Oh my god... ME TOO!"
"OHHHH I LOOOOOOVE IN N OUT!!"
"I know - isn't In N Out THE BEST THING IN THE WHOLE WORLD?"
"DUUUUUUUUDE LET'S GO PLAY VOLLEYBALL AND SURF!!"
"YEEEEEAHH CALIFORNIAAAA!! We're SO COOL!"
You just described my high school experience.

Quote:
The mythology around it really is kept alive by people visiting California.
Whenever I see somebody wearing an In-N-Out t-shirt, I always want to ask them if they're some sort of tourist.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
I don't get why anyone in L.A. would ever go to an INO when there are two Portillo's there.

That's fast food that receives ratings so high they embarrass INO. Instead of wasting time with INO, head over to Portillo's, and get a beef with hot peppers. You'll feel a little humiliated that you wasted your dining experiences at INO.

As for fries, Portillo's fries are so far and beyond better than INO that they should really send scouts to Portillo's to learn how things are done in a real food town.
ok, you like beef with hot peppers, does that automatically make the place better than fast food joints that don't use hot peppers? Are we talking about burgers under $2.00? Do you realize even on the food channels most of the chefs have voiced opinions on the qualtiy of InandOut, placing them at the top of the chart for fast food burgers? You have an opinion, we all have opinions but to make comments like you are making based on your opinion only is a little one sided. I will be honest, I have never heard of Portillos so I have no idea how good or bad they might be. I will say, if you Google and check for ratings of fast food hamburgers, in every case In&Out is at the top or near the top of the list, thus I guess I would have to ask, where are you getting your information about the ratings being so much higher than In&Outs?

Nita

Last edited by nmnita; 06-08-2012 at 09:33 AM..

Old 06-08-2012, 09:52 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,547,429 times
Quote:
I don't get why anyone in L.A. would ever go to an INO when there are two Portillo's there.

That's fast food that receives ratings so high they embarrass INO. Instead of wasting time with INO, head over to Portillo's, and get a beef with hot peppers. You'll feel a little humiliated that you wasted your dining experiences at INO.

As for fries, Portillo's fries are so far and beyond better than INO that they should really send scouts to Portillo's to learn how things are done in a real food town.
Do you even know where Moreno Valley and Buena Park are? Or did you just look at Portillo's location finder (like I just did)? They are not in L.A.. They're in far-flung suburbs and in that place its not worth the drive for most people (just to get a burger). Again (as has been pointed out a bajillion times to you but seems to be flying over your head), In-N-Out is a good quality fast food place. Is it the best burger in California? No. Its it a better than average fast food place? Yes. I'm not from SoCal and its not been in NorCal for decades so I don't have any misty memories of growing up eating there. Still, I'm not going to berate the place or the people who like it because there are small local chains and individual restaurants in the Bay Area I like better. I'd especially not get so wound up about the subject if I lived a couple thousand miles away and really didn't even have a dog in that fight.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:21 AM

583 posts, read 884,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Do you even know where Moreno Valley and Buena Park are? Or did you just look at Portillo's location finder (like I just did)? They are not in L.A..
L.A. people are perhaps the most tripped-up on this basic aspect of urban life of all people I've ever encountered. Moreno Valley and Buena Park are L.A. If someone from Buena Park were in Boston and picked up the USA Today to check the weather back home, to which city would they direct their eyes? Phoenix? Seattle?

Quote:
They're in far-flung suburbs and in that place its not worth the drive for most people (just to get a burger).
The suburbs are still L.A., and I didn't say get a burger there, although their burgers are very good. I said to go there and get a beef, and since a beef beats anything else in L.A., it is worth the drive.

Quote:
In-N-Out is a good quality fast food place. Is it the best burger in California? No. Its it a better than average fast food place? Yes.
I'm fine with how people keep walking this back.

Quote:
I'd especially not get so wound up about the subject if I lived a couple thousand miles away and really didn't even have a dog in that fight.
But that's not really relevant to whether INO is overrated, is it? Further, most places in this country have many escaped Californians who annoy you with boasts of homeland excellence, and occasionally, restaurants will spring up that try to copy INO and appeal to these Californians and those who have been influenced by the Western emigres. The annoying Californian INO cheerleading well crosses its borders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
ok, you like beef with hot peppers, does that automatically make the place better than fast food joints that don't use hot peppers?
I don't know any beef stand that doesn't have both the hot and the sweet.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:25 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
I'm not a big fan of fast food. Sure freshness counts, but I am also a fan of flavor. Flavor seems to be lacking. Fries with skin takes like dirt, and the burgers are bland.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:26 AM

65 posts, read 134,951 times
I agree that the fries are nothing to write home about (skinny and dry), but if you think their burgers taste like McDonald's either you have a very nondiscriminating palate or have not had McDonald's in a very long time. Seriously, get one of each, and take a bite of both. Not even close. You may like McDonald's better, that's completely your prerogative, but they are nothing alike.

A Wendy's burger would be a closer comparison. I don't find In-N-Out to be orders of magnitude better than Wendy's (which always taste fresh and meaty to me, unlike McDonald's), but I do think that In & Out are among the juiciest, tastiest and freshest tasting burgers I've ever eaten. Fatburger is of a similar quality IMHO. I am not really a burger person but I find In N Out to be tasty enough that I get occasional cravings for them. But I also like Wendy's, and weirdly, Jack in the Box is pretty good too (though I hate everything else they make). McDonald's though doesn't even taste like beef to me.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:32 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,911 times
Quote:
L.A. people are perhaps the most tripped-up on this basic aspect of urban life of all people I've ever encountered. Moreno Valley and Buena Park are L.A. If someone from Buena Park were in Boston and picked up the USA Today to check the weather back home, to which city would they direct their eyes? Phoenix? Seattle?
Buena Park and Moreno Valley are not in LA--not even the same county as LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles