Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 06:13 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,997,351 times

Advertisements

Gotta agree with more rain. (But not on weekends)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 10:05 PM

13 posts, read 46,872 times
Well I don't live in Cali but am visiting in May (that's why I stopped by this Climate topic - looking for tips on what type of clothing to bring)! And I can't believe what I am reading lol I have to tell you that for those of you wanting rain, snow, gloom, and gray come to (just north of) Boston! We'd love to have you visit, and hey it's pretty much this way year round so you can visit anytime and get the same great experience. It can be a tad chilly (-20) in the winter which gives you several months of frost bite weather so dress warm but not as bad 20-30 degrees during November nights, even better temps 35-50 October dep. day/nite. The best part is wearing sweaters/jacket, even in July, or everyone wearing a sweatpant suit at the beach for July 4th fireworks! You'll only see the sun for about 3 weeks usually in August with scorching 85 degree temps but fairly breezy in the day less 15 degrees at night unless you're by the coast, then it's much cooler and more wind. Oooooh but on those scorching days you can take a dip in the 60 degree water just be sure there are other people around so when your toe touches the water and your heart stops beating there is someone there to shake the life back into you. It's great to have snow as late as April and as early as October - keeps you on your toes. The spring brings icy rain pretty much every day - fun to drive in and during the "fall" - late sept, brings a whole 2 weeks of not hot/not cold weather with lots of colors - it's my favorite 2 weeks of the year. But what can I say, oh the arthritis... the aches, the pains, the injuries due to falls on the snow or winter sports -- keeps me employed.

I'm sorry but I am sooooo looking forward to my visit. 60-70 degree weather is well beach weather here lol So I know I have no business giving my 2 cents but I would take your weather any day over Boston's...

Old 04-23-2010, 10:42 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,393,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustStoppingBy View Post
Well I don't live in Cali but am visiting in May (that's why I stopped by this Climate topic - looking for tips on what type of clothing to bring)! And I can't believe what I am reading lol I have to tell you that for those of you wanting rain, snow, gloom, and gray come to (just north of) Boston! We'd love to have you visit, and hey it's pretty much this way year round so you can visit anytime and get the same great experience. It can be a tad chilly (-20) in the winter which gives you several months of frost bite weather so dress warm but not as bad 20-30 degrees during November nights, even better temps 35-50 October dep. day/nite. The best part is wearing sweaters/jacket, even in July, or everyone wearing a sweatpant suit at the beach for July 4th fireworks! You'll only see the sun for about 3 weeks usually in August with scorching 85 degree temps but fairly breezy in the day less 15 degrees at night unless you're by the coast, then it's much cooler and more wind. Oooooh but on those scorching days you can take a dip in the 60 degree water just be sure there are other people around so when your toe touches the water and your heart stops beating there is someone there to shake the life back into you. It's great to have snow as late as April and as early as October - keeps you on your toes. The spring brings icy rain pretty much every day - fun to drive in and during the "fall" - late sept, brings a whole 2 weeks of not hot/not cold weather with lots of colors - it's my favorite 2 weeks of the year. But what can I say, oh the arthritis... the aches, the pains, the injuries due to falls on the snow or winter sports -- keeps me employed.

I'm sorry but I am sooooo looking forward to my visit. 60-70 degree weather is well beach weather here lol So I know I have no business giving my 2 cents but I would take your weather any day over Boston's...
Well it isn't cold here at all but it can be quite cool [esp at night anytime of the year]. Even in the valleys night temps drop into the cool range [below 70F] within 1-2 hours after sunset during summer. The warmest nights are when the santa ana winds occur but the humidity is so low that it is comfortable. Don't count of doing much swimming in May unless 60-65F water is comfortable to you. And it generally doesn't get much warmer than 70F in the Pacific ocean.

I think when a person lives in a very dry climate you begin to long for rain. This year is has rained quite a bit [even some storms this month]. But the rain season is pretty short [Nov-March] and never reliable. By autumn the hillsides are dangerously dried out & when the santa ana winds hit it becomes prime wildfire time. Not very pleasant when the smoke moves into the basin & coastline. If it rained more often and during summer we wouldn't have these fires.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:31 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,952 times
More variety. It's very boring weather. I'd like more rain, but LA wasn't built for rain hence why the freeways and roads flood horribly. A little snow in December/January so it actually feels like winter. Being able to wear t-shirts and shorts in February is just weird.

I've been loving the weather we've been having these past few days. I actually almost turned on my heat this morning. It was 62 inside and chilly! It's a nice change and I wish it happened more often.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:10 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,948,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
I can NOT believe some of you want MORE RAIN and even SNOW!!! To me that is making things WORSE....NOT BETTER. Why not move to Denver, Cleveland, or Seattle if you desire more misery?
I did move to Denver, and I don't consider the weather miserable at all. It keeps things interesting. It's snowing as we speak. I think most people that have never been here before would be surprised at how nice the weather is most of the time.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:06 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,393,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I did move to Denver, and I don't consider the weather miserable at all. It keeps things interesting. It's snowing as we speak. I think most people that have never been here before would be surprised at how nice the weather is most of the time.
I've heard good things about the climate of Denver. Drier than the Midwest & less humid. Mile-High city so snow in April is still possible, as you point out. The closest to that kind of climate in California is the mountains like Lake Arrowhead or Yosemite.

This week feels like Denver. Yesterday there were places that stayed below 60F during the day [and 40's at night] - more like an occasional cold day in January [10-15 degrees below normal]. It has been cool this month but the rainfall makes it all the better.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:22 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,080,424 times
Default What would I change about LA's climate?

Make it more like San Francisco's. I enjoy May gray and June gloom. The cold snap the other day was a perfect addition to the climate for me. I abhor late August and September -- hot, sticky, smoggy.

"Santa Ana" Winds. Hmm.... Isn't it Santana (Devil) Winds? Don't like 'em.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:21 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,948,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I've heard good things about the climate of Denver. Drier than the Midwest & less humid. Mile-High city so snow in April is still possible, as you point out. The closest to that kind of climate in California is the mountains like Lake Arrowhead or Yosemite.

This week feels like Denver. Yesterday there were places that stayed below 60F during the day [and 40's at night] - more like an occasional cold day in January [10-15 degrees below normal]. It has been cool this month but the rainfall makes it all the better.
Re: First paragraph, right on all counts.

This must be one of those colder winters in Southern CA. I remember times growing up when Mt. Baldy would still have snow in June.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:37 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post

"Santa Ana" Winds. Hmm.... Isn't it Santana (Devil) Winds? Don't like 'em.
Santana doesn't mean devil in Spanish, "diablo" does. Santana is a surname (think Carlos Santana, or Ervin Santana, the Angels pitcher). The name was associated with the nasty Northeast winds because of a ranch (Santana Ranch) in Santa Ana Canyon back in OC's early days. Since Santa Ana Canyon is the primary funnel for the winds that blast across the Santa Ana River Valley, both the name of the canyon and a ranch that was once located there have given their names to the winds.

They could just have easily been called the Cajon Winds, as Cajon Pass is the birthplace of the winds that find their way to Santa Ana Canyon and OC. In fact, I wonder why they aren't called the Cajon Winds? Unfair. OC elitism was apparently rampant even back then.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:20 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Mile-High city so snow in April is still possible
The Front Range motto: "April Showers Bring May Blizzards"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles