Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 12:57 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,770,204 times

Advertisements

So, basically, you want to bring east coast politics, east coast cities, and east coast homes to the west coast. Good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 03:45 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,281,260 times
Stay in New York! You're not going to find NY in LA and vice versa.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:00 AM

13 posts, read 74,408 times
Can't Relocating for work. BUT, based on what we're hearing about Silver Lake, it sounds like we'd find at a least a similar-ish crowd enough to be comfortable. We said we'd aim high and bargain! Silver Lake wins. Who knows? Maybe we'll end up loving it.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:16 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,281,260 times
Sure you can. Just decline the offer. Baddaboom?

Old 05-12-2010, 08:00 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Sinclair View Post
having to move to Los Angeles
near future
neighborhood that is as un-"LA" as possible
can afford up to $3.5 mil on our house

need to live in a neighborhood that -- if not diverse in and of itself -- is at least close to black neighborhoods.
where our kids can go to a black church or be immersed in the black community

a neighborhood that has a higher population of, I don't know, professors or more serious-minded types than,

a neighborhood that has a lot of trees and shade, that has homes that could be mistaken for the East Coast, and that doesn't look as shiny and new as so much of LA.
Are you familiar with CA property taxes and what they would be on a home approaching $3.5M? Just want to ensure your estimate of affordability is realistic.

Not sure if your description of geographic separation of classes/demographics is accurate. There aren't many four mile radii in Los Angeles that the poorest don't live with the wealthiest or the Hispanic or the black or the white don't live with each other. There are exceptions (Malibu, Ventura County, Orange County come to mind - but they aren't Los Angeles), but poor neighborhoods are not much farther than four miles from wealthy neighborhoods. Black neighborhoods aren't too far away from white neighborhoods - this is only within the City of Los Angeles. Ventura County and Orange County couldn't be described this way.

Finally, there really aren't too many "shiny and new" neighborhoods in the City of Los Angeles. There are outside the city - but not too many within a commuting distance of motion picture employment or legal community hubs (downtown, Century City, Beverly Hills, etc).

Where are your jobs going to be? That is probably the first thing the forum needs to know.

What does "near term" mean? One month, six months, one year?

Might you consider renting first?

Is it required that both of you find employment prior to moving? Prior to buying a home?

Old 05-12-2010, 09:30 AM

Location: San Fernando Valley, CA but desperately hoping to move back to New York
74 posts, read 350,152 times
I lived in silverlake for a while, just above Glendale blvd. Loved it, but didn't think I would at first. Always lived on the westside so the vibe was new to me. We lived in the hills, great workout. I'm sure alot has changed since I lived there.

I agree with the op, perhaps rent in an area and explore the city. With that kind of investment, you don't want to rush.

I personally would live in Venice or Santa Monica if I had that budget. I lived in Venice and rollerblades every day. Nothing like the ease of beach life.

Was also thinking of culver city near Sony studios. Nice homes back in that area.

I would love to be able to move back to ny but hubby is a tv editor so that's what keeps us here. We are thinking about it though.

Good luck.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,137 times
Hey Catherine,

I'm from the East Coast as well so I definitely can relate to some of what you're saying and Silver Lake does sound like a good choice. I really like it here for the most part and I seriously could not imagine living in many other parts of the city. It's really diverse, safe, has good food and walkability, and I believe some of the schools are pretty decent. You could probably get a really great house too; the architecture is really cool in a lot of spots. Highly recommended.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:27 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Sinclair View Post
our children will be
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcl256 View Post
I believe some of the schools are pretty decent.

With the exception of Ivanhoe Elementary, most schools in that area are Great Schools 5 or below out of 10. Not good.

http://schoolperformancemaps.com/ca/...3%2C14%2C1%2C2

Last edited by Charles; 05-12-2010 at 03:50 PM..

Old 05-12-2010, 06:19 PM

364 posts, read 991,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay100 View Post
stay in new york! You're not going to find ny in la and vice versa.
thank you!!!

Old 05-14-2010, 07:33 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
Please, everyone, keep it polite and try to answer the question.

To the OP: your vision of LA is totally the opposite of mine, but then again, I didn't live in Brentwood. It sounds kind of like someone living on the Upper East Side and then expecting that that one neighborhood represented all of NYC.

I love Pasadena, but it's a long trek from the westside. Silverlake is nice, although I prefer Los Feliz, but that's partly because Los Feliz has easier public transportation connections and to me seems more overall walkable in useful ways. SIlverlake sounds like it could be a decent match for you, though, although it does feel like LA. (not the stereotypical myth LA that you were describing in your first post, but not like NYC)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles