Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 03:31 PM

122 posts, read 587,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Why do people come West looking for East?

In the 20th century, East eclipsed West as T.S. Eliot prophesied in The Waste Land.

London Bridge is falling down falling down falling down

These fragments I have shored against my ruins
Why then Ile fit you. Hieronymo's mad againe.
Datta. Dayadhvam. Damyata.

Shantih shantih shantih

Or, as W.B. Yeats envisioned, the twenty century flip has occurred, inverting and reversing everything. And as such, East has become West and West become East here in Century One.

The rough beast is dizzy and disoriented under the new sun of his new morn. He arises from his slumber. He traverses the land, criss-crossing, snaking through desert sands. Slouching, subconsciously oriented towards Bethlehem, the place of rebirth.

Last edited by Laocoön; 07-09-2010 at 03:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 04:08 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,958,238 times
That's a very short post for you. Congratulations on your newly-found brevity.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:09 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,281,260 times
OP: We're bigger than you. Get with the program.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,209 times
I came to Los Angeles 30 years ago from Kansas City, MO. I lived in Culver City (Fox Hills) for 18 years and I recommend Culver City because it is surrounded by everything. Beverly Hills to the north, airport southwest, beaches four miles straight west, black churches east and south of the city. You can go to all these places without getting on a freeway. It's very cool in the summer with ocean breezes flowing through the city, and sea gulls walking around some of the parking lots. Culver City schools rate very high in the state. It's high school rating is number one. If you are looking for other mixed couples like yourself, do what my husband and I used to do. We hug out in Santa Monica. That is a beach city west of Culver City. You might even consider living in Santa Monica also if you like being very near the water.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:43 AM

9 posts, read 10,791 times
Silver lake or los Feliz. But really, with the attitude you've got, just do us all a favor and stay there. I don't think you can handle it here, and I hate to hear the screams "I'm melting! I'm melting!"

And I love it, successful protesters, a lawyer and a producer, angry at the system. You're joking because you can't be so obviously oblivious right? BTW you sound like east coast racists to me.

Last edited by Adelle_Sharp; 01-09-2011 at 02:03 AM..

Old 01-09-2011, 01:55 AM

9 posts, read 10,791 times
I wish New York City people would try to be a little more sophisticated about understanding that when they leave their town that means *Suprise* they are in a new place. The lack of charm and rudeness from some NYers is tedious and borish. Please learn to develop some sense of decorum before you travel elsewhere.
In NY speek: Don't just open your mouth and let crap fall out off it.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:56 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latinovelvet View Post
Dear Catherine,
I don't know if you are truly naive about Los Angeles or if your comments are as backhanded as I suspect them to be as you feel the need to CAPITALIZE all of your stereotypes of Los Angeles and have your "high demands" about a neighborhood you'd live in, which Los Angeles cannot possibly satisfy as opposed to New Yawk.

But to answer your question, ther are plenty of neighborhoods in Los Angeles that may fit your "criteria" if you are willing to leave that New Yawk mentality in the subway.
1) LA is probably the most diverse city in the nation. Maybe in the "Upper East Side" there are only three shades of color: Black, White, Brown. But in LA, there are many shades of Brown, and Black, and White. Oh yea, lets not forget our few Persian, Phillipine, Korean, Armenian, etc. friends. No need to separate them by highway. I know thats nothing compared to the different shades of pasty white your used to.
2) A couple of us Angelinos are a little more "politically interested" than your snob New Yawk "blacksuitwhitetie" mentality may be. You may want to give a second glance at your neighbors who may look like they're on their way to "Jamba Juice."
3) If you find LA's image so "depressing", I suggest maybe moving back to New Yawk since it is blatantly obvious that you are choosing to pick out any of the typical LA stereotypes and dwell on them, rather than accepting the area you will be living in and seeing that LA has alot more to offer than your willing to give it credit for. Either that, or maybe you should check out the local pharmacy for Zoloft, Prozac or "kush"! But maybe you just might want to go back to New Yawk since it is obvious that you will snicker every time you realize that you are living here instead of the eastcoast.

I'm sorry, I'm just a stereotypically "politically uninspired" Los Angelino that drinks Jamba Juice and am very undiverse. But at least if I ever move to New York and don't see the sun often, smell everyones stank in the subway, and see that the women are tier 2, I won't be complaining on a forum about it.

I think the OP is a troll. She despises LA but she HAS to move for work.

Is someone putting a gun to her head? The boyfriend is an attorney so he isn't limited to where he lives, and she inherited a lot of money, so why move somewhere you hate?

She lived in LA for more than a decade but doesn't know the various areas???? Makes no sense.

Why would you buy a house in a place you despise?

You would rent a house for a year, and if you found once again that you disliked it you would leave.

I call BS.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltartist View Post
I came to Los Angeles 30 years ago from Kansas City, MO. I lived in Culver City (Fox Hills) for 18 years and I recommend Culver City because it is surrounded by everything. Beverly Hills to the north, airport southwest, beaches four miles straight west, black churches east and south of the city. You can go to all these places without getting on a freeway. It's very cool in the summer with ocean breezes flowing through the city, and sea gulls walking around some of the parking lots. Culver City schools rate very high in the state. It's high school rating is number one. If you are looking for other mixed couples like yourself, do what my husband and I used to do. We hug out in Santa Monica. That is a beach city west of Culver City. You might even consider living in Santa Monica also if you like being very near the water.

Someone who claims they lived in Brentwood for 11yrs would know all this.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:10 AM

I just looked at her posting history. Total troll.

She only has 13 posts over a two day period asking a about a major move????. This post was designed to "stir the pot".

Funny on one other thread she is answering a question about Southern CA...LOL.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:16 PM

7 posts, read 11,189 times
Be very careful, I would get a real estate agent and tell them exactly what I want.If you want to be far from the city Pasadena is nice.I prefer to be closer to the city, but with all the gangs and the illegals that can be very challenging.I am not prejudice any race but illegal immigration brings with it a lot of extra problems that you can't even imagine unless you live very close to or in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles