Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 08:59 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,237,365 times

Advertisements

Whittier certainly has the vibe, but I agree with the posters who recommended Silverlake, Larchmont (alittle more upscale, I suppose but rather quaint), parts of Echo Park are great, especially up against Elysian Park and the area up on Mohawk, Waterloo above Alvarado. Los Feliz is nice as well. There are tons of 'palm-tree' free zones here. That's such a stereotype, at least when you travel further north and east.

I like South Pasadena as well, but keep in mind that Pasadena is alittle hotter (and smoggier). No shortage of nice tree-lined streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 07:09 AM

26,746 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I'm not that familiar with Whittier but was there the other day and the architecture and trees gave me an East Coast vibe. There is a liberal arts private college within the vicinity (Whittier College) so maybe it is a liberal-leaning area?
Whittier is far too conservative, although the area you are speaking of is beautiful. And the part of Whittier that would appeal to them would be Friendly Hills, which is even more conservative than the rest of that area.

Silver Lake sounds perfect for the OP; especially since it sounds as if the kids will attend private schools.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:31 PM

60 posts, read 123,704 times
Default From NY to Cali?

Ahh Yeah that was what I meant about walking to the water. Probably should have said "Walk Into" lol. Well things that are fun, would be more like social events, Not really into the nightclub scene so to speak, though the occasional bar run wouldn't be bad. I figured LA was huge. Santa Clarita looks like a good place, but I don't know the nuances of what would be a good neighborhood or not (like the different sections in LA. I know to stay away from East LA and Compton.

Oh I know that acting is ruthless. I enjoy it actually. I have a unique difference so I won't fall into most mainstream such.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:16 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
Looking for a place that has east Coast looking cities? Imagine that, so are the people who make TV shows and Movies. Many of those East Coast shows are filmed in the LA area. Imagine that. I would think that if film crews can find places that remind people of the East Coast you should have no problem.

Looking for a mix of races? We have that all over the place. I was thinking that Segregation ended years ago. The only kind we have now is economic segregation. Sure some people can not afford to live on the beach in Malibu or over in the Hills. But no one is keeping anyone out of those areas. Most people you meet are not in the market for $3.5 million homes like you are. Most people wish that they could be in the market and have the means to pull it off though.

You want politics? We have you covored. This is not a Liberal or Conservative state. We are a moderate state and many within the state seem to be able to hold educated conversations with those that sit on the other side of the political aisle and can still have a drink together as freinds when they are done.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:10 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
Based on your criteria, I'd say you want to live near Crenshaw.
I know, I know, that sounds scarry already but what a lot of people don't know is that Crenshaw has very posh neighborhoods in their hills and those neighborhoods are full of well to do black folks.

There is also Culver City.
There are some hills off of La Brea (I think it's called Northride-not to be confused with the Norhridge in the Sand Fernando Valley) that are also full of well to do black folks, mostly in the music industry, and it is near the major black communities (which will mean black churches) of what I call "old LA".

I wouldn't want to live in those areas because of the congestion and the closeness to "questionable" neighborhoods and would have suggested Woodland Hills in the San Fernando Valley but you made it clear you want your children to go to a black church without having to take a freeway.

I'm not an east coaster but, contrary to popular belief, some of us here in LA do make good neighbors.
A well-to-do neighborhood with many black professionals is Baldwin Hills - that's the one that borders Crenshaw.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:22 AM
R66

145 posts, read 419,948 times
Please stay in New York. We got enough of you uptight people in CA and FL. And with your income, why not relocate to Idaho and and retire on the Snake River?

My 0.02

Old 07-05-2010, 04:26 PM

60 posts, read 123,704 times
Just to turn this thread back on track: What does everyone here love about Los Angeles? What does everyone do for fun (Of course I expect a wide variety of answers). Even though I have been through and stayed at Los Angeles for a few. I really don't know the "in's" and "Out's" of the area. For me, I would just like a nice safe area. With good people, and good weather, life can be easier. Even though I am from NY. I do not really fit the NY mold, so it's a moot point either way (and those that are anti-NY. I just say Meh. Most people in NY complain about NY anyways lol so its not an issue).

Old 07-07-2010, 11:53 AM

22 posts, read 108,329 times
Catherine - You'll have to let us know what you decided to do!
I am not an East Coast native, but I lived out there for seven years sans car (college in MA, work in DC), and saw LA very differently when I came back here as an adult. I certainly hope you wound up looking in Larchmont, Silver Lake, Los Feliz AND in Hollywood. I think you'd like the vibe and you'll discover that there are definitely a lot of people who are very politically active but not so dogmatic that they're opposed to change. Los Feliz and Hollywood are proximate to the subway, which I love riding because I always get this feeling of thinking that I'm back East -- and then I feel very lucky that I get to be back in LA!

Old 07-08-2010, 01:56 PM

95 posts, read 275,267 times
Sorry I'm late to the conversation, but you should take a look Downtown. We recently moved here from the East Coast, and we LOVE downtown living. It's definitely the closest thing to an East Coast vibe that you'll find in LA.

Of course, there are no single-family homes here. But you can get several thousand square feet of living space space in a multi-family building with amenities like a rooftop pool and fitness center.

Good luck!

Old 07-08-2010, 02:04 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,958,238 times
Why do people come West looking for East?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles