Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 09:27 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,806,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
I wonder if we just don't have other priorities than major league sports, and I wonder if that's really a bad thing.
Exactly. I really don't think it is necessarily a good thing for a small market city to beg and plead major league franchises to come there. They pay for the stadiums through taxes and give them every incentive they can muster. Then what happens if the team has a few bad years and attendance is down? They pack up and move to another city, leaving the city with a vacant arena and nobody to fill it because of course no self respecting major league teams would play in a "used" arena/stadium. Perhaps Louisville just has a little common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 03:20 AM

257 posts, read 881,698 times
i guess some people are missing my point. i agree that we are too close to other markets to be "awarded" a pro team, but i still think we could support one if we got one. there is a difference. there is definitely money in louisville.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:11 PM

209 posts, read 739,443 times
I know it’s tempting to think Louisville won’t be validated as a real city until we have a major league team, and basketball is a logical choice. An NBA team would be like getting a Saks or an Ikea…

But I’ve been thinking: Sports is story. It’s character, conflict, climax. We want teams so we can enter a narrative. We want to care about the story, feel charged and driven, engaged and delighted. And you know, most of us who are sports fans already are. After this weekend’s upset of Georgetown by UL, I got to thinking. Here’s this wildly engaging coach changing clothes at halftime. Here’s a big-hearted kid living with pain for his team, coaching his team in the middle of the mess. Here’s a tremendous human being who loves basketball, who loves people, who loves his own incredible talent. Here’s another talented kid who loves the spotlight the way a little kid loves to be loved, and will do any crazy thing to please. And here’s a dark, troubled, troubling kid fighting demons, having his demons exposed and exorcised by his coach… and on and on…

It’s story enough for me. The pulp fiction of professional sports pales in comparison. It’s like following Brittney and Linsay and Paris instead of reading a good book. The NBA drama is Entertainment Tonight. Who cares about those rich, self-important *******s? The NCAA is Melville, Faulkner, and Twain… I don’t care about being a ‘big city’. I like being a real one.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:13 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
An MLB team is a little more likely than a NFL team, but I think an NBA team could happen before an MLB team for sure. Why not shoot for an NHL team??? That could before any of them. Yes, unfortunately in this day and age in America you need a major sports team to really be put "on the map." Hope you guys get one.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:45 AM

96 posts, read 616,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
An MLB team is a little more likely than a NFL team, but I think an NBA team could happen before an MLB team for sure. Why not shoot for an NHL team??? That could before any of them. Yes, unfortunately in this day and age in America you need a major sports team to really be put "on the map." Hope you guys get one.
The Louisville Panthers AHL team (NHL equivalant of triple A baseball) folded after two years. If minor league teams can't survive how can a NHL?

There is a slight chance an NBA team could come. I personally don't think it's going to happen but I do think there is a chance. Everything else is out of the question, it's not going to happen anytime soon. In the year 2030 who knows, but as for the next 10-15 years it's not going to happen.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 8,290 times
Look at this:

[URL=http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=926214]SSRN-NBA] NBA Expansion and Relocation: A Viability Study of Various Cities by Daniel Rascher, Heather Rascher[/url] Expansion and Relocation: A Viability Study of Various Cities by Daniel Rascher, Heather Rascher Expansion and Relocation: A Viability Study of Various Cities by Daniel Rascher, Heather Rascher
An examination of possible expansion or relocation sites for the NBA is undertaken using a two-equation system requiring two-stage probit least squares to estimate. The location model forecasts the best cities for an NBA team based on the underlying characteristics of current NBA teams. The results suggest that Louisville, San Diego, Baltimore, St. Louis, and Norfolk appear to be the most promising candidates for relocation or expansion.[/FONT]

[url=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13946446/]Commentary]Commentary: Sonics’ move could be first of many - NBA - MSNBC.com[/url]: Sonics move could be first of many - NBA - MSNBC.com Sonics move could be first of many - NBA - MSNBC.com
Here's another article that mentions Louisville as one of the top options for an NBA team looking to relocate. Obviously, from this article, there are quite a few relocations that might occur within the next few years.

Bring the NBA to Kansas City: Seattle: Sonics Finally Unveil Arena Plans (http://nbainkc.blogspot.com/2007/02/seattle-sonics-finally-unveil-arena.html - broken link) Bring the NBA to Kansas City: Seattle: Sonics Finally Unveil Arena Plans[/url] Bring the NBA to Kansas City: Seattle: Sonics Finally Unveil Arena Plans
Here's a blog that mentions some possible NBA teams looking to relocate. The possible relocation cities are mentioned. The cities mentioned: Anaheim, Las Vegas, Louisville, Oklahoma City, San Jose, St. Louis.

Obviously, I've done some searching on this topic. There is talk in various media outlets that Louisville is ready for an NBA team. Louisville was a major contender for the Hornets when they left Charlotte, and that was before all of the excitement and development in downtown (Museum Plaza, Center City, Iron Quarter, and, most importantly for this situation, the downtown arena). Also, remember that Humana is expanding, UPS is adding thousands of jobs, and the redevelopment of the Haymarket block will bring in thousands of high-paying medical research jobs.

Isn't this interesting?

Last edited by loudent; 02-13-2008 at 04:23 PM..

Old 02-13-2008, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 8,290 times
sorry about the web addresses...this is my first post, and those didn't really come out right.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:17 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,751,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMover08 View Post
The Louisville Panthers AHL team (NHL equivalant of triple A baseball) folded after two years. If minor league teams can't survive how can a NHL?

There is a slight chance an NBA team could come. I personally don't think it's going to happen but I do think there is a chance. Everything else is out of the question, it's not going to happen anytime soon. In the year 2030 who knows, but as for the next 10-15 years it's not going to happen.
Here's how. Noone gives a dam abiut minor league teams that are not high quality. Louisville's high quality minor league team, the AAA Bats baseball, is perenially among the attendance leaders in the minors. Besides, another minor league hockey team is coming back and will play in the renovated Louisville Gardens. An announcemet on this will come soon in the next year.

Louisville can EASILY support a pro sports team besides MLB...the money and corporate support is there...its just a matter if it can GET one and if Cincy and Indy dont block one.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:12 AM

37 posts, read 124,957 times
my wife and I are new to the louisville area . We love it, Louisville is a great city. If a NBA team would come to louisville it would be the icing that tops the cake for us. We grew up in WV so are ties are with WVU In college sports (big
rival of U of L ) and the Pittsburgh pro sports teams . So to make a long story short our ties are with all rivals of the teams that get the media attention in Louisville area. I would like to have a team to follow that I can watch on TV, get media coverage , and be able to talk to co-workers about. I know that a NFL team wouldn't work here , because the locals have a lot invested in the colts and bengals and mlb the Reds. But I haven't notice any media coverage or local support for any NBA team. The only question I would have is , would the part of Indiana that is in the metro area support a team in Louisville or would they support the Pacers ? You would need their
support to fill the stadium and support the team. I haven't been in Louisville long enough to know the demographics well enough to know if it would work , but I do know that the people I work with and came across in public are great sports fans.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:04 AM

257 posts, read 881,698 times
I would like to say something on the matter of support for a pro team. The above posted asked if So. Indiana would support a Louisville team or the Pacers? I frankly do not care. I'm a big Pacers fan and it makes me so mad that Pacers games are not broadcasted in Louisville. Most games are on FSIN and that is not shown on a standard cable package in Louisville. I'm also a Cincinnati Reds fan and I can see almost every one of their games on FSOH. When a Pacers official commented several years ago about Louisville getting an NBA team and how it would hurt the Pacers, I got so mad. They need to do a better job at marketing their team if they want to draw from Louisville. I check attendance records also, and the Pacers have some of the worst attendance in the league. They can't even sell out a Pacers/Pistons game. WTF?!

Props to the guy who commented about minor league teams not working here because who wants minor league when you live in a city as big as Louisville. The bats are an exception, but other than that, I'd agree it's gonna be hard for anything to work. Why just eat the cake when you're good enough for the icing too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area