Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 06:19 PM

242 posts, read 402,987 times

Advertisements

OK looking in everybody's logic for putting a NBA team here how come the Charlotte doesn't support one? That entire area of NC is definitely basketball country and Charlotte itself is larger than Louisville not counting the population that's within driving distance to attend games. There also isn't another NBA team less than 2 hours away. They already had one team go bankrupt and move and are on the verge of losing another one. Why does anybody possibly think that Louisville would support one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 03:07 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,486,476 times
I'll have to say watching Oklahoma City's NBA team excel after only 4 years in that city it makes me wish Louisville had landed an NBA team a couple years ago. I think Louisville would be a great NBA city with a great hinterland of basketball fans. It would have the potential to be one of the top small markets (like San Antonio or Salt Lake City). One of the best arenas in the USA is now located there, hopefully a way to share the arena with U of L could be negotiated.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:22 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,751,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I'll have to say watching Oklahoma City's NBA team excel after only 4 years in that city it makes me wish Louisville had landed an NBA team a couple years ago. I think Louisville would be a great NBA city with a great hinterland of basketball fans. It would have the potential to be one of the top small markets (like San Antonio or Salt Lake City). One of the best arenas in the USA is now located there, hopefully a way to share the arena with U of L could be negotiated.
I have been wanting to write a letter to the Courier about it....OKC has passed up Louisville in the national spot light and now considered a "major" city. It is ashame to see some of Louisville's political mistakes reproduced over and over again. Part of the fault lies at the agrarian minded state level in Frankfort, but giving a 350 million dollar arena as a gift to a college team is one of the largest political and financial blunders I have seen in a city...and I have lived in many.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:28 PM

970 posts, read 1,873,750 times
Who cares about an NBA team??? Ick! Personally, I don't like basketball at all, but the Pro games compared to College....well, no comparison. You have a rich college basketball history and a great in-state rivalry, why pursue it? Doesn't make sense moneywise either. Play on your college-level strengths. Pro teams are not "everything".

Old 06-13-2012, 11:10 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,751,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
Who cares about an NBA team??? Ick! Personally, I don't like basketball at all, but the Pro games compared to College....well, no comparison. You have a rich college basketball history and a great in-state rivalry, why pursue it? Doesn't make sense moneywise either. Play on your college-level strengths. Pro teams are not "everything".
In one respect yes....but do you not think that OU doesn't have a great sports history? And over there, their rivalry with KU and OSU is just as big as UofL and UofK. Thinking a metro of 1.3 million with a spaaking new basketball palace should not have an NBA team is absent minded. The only way the city makes its money back and avoids huge taxpayer losses is if an NBA team lands in Louisville and they quit giving all profit, scheduling rights, and revenue streams from Yum to UofL. N. Olikee, with all due respect, it sounds like you do not have enough knowledge of the debt service on the Yum center and the sweet deal with no risk that it gave UofL.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:26 AM

970 posts, read 1,873,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
In one respect yes....but do you not think that OU doesn't have a great sports history? And over there, their rivalry with KU and OSU is just as big as UofL and UofK. Thinking a metro of 1.3 million with a spaaking new basketball palace should not have an NBA team is absent minded. The only way the city makes its money back and avoids huge taxpayer losses is if an NBA team lands in Louisville and they quit giving all profit, scheduling rights, and revenue streams from Yum to UofL. N. Olikee, with all due respect, it sounds like you do not have enough knowledge of the debt service on the Yum center and the sweet deal with no risk that it gave UofL.
Peter, with all due respect................I have plenty of knowledge about the hole that was dug and the "junk" status of the stadium that was pushed through. However, I don't think a Pro team is going to happen, nor do I believe it will solve the problems of an ill-conceived money-pit.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:30 PM

46 posts, read 219,036 times
Well, since this old 2007 topic was brought back up and I wasn't a member then, I must say put me in the camp that does not want a NBA team here. I am just fine with college sports and the money we invest in them goes right back into the community. Bring an NBA team here, and all our money EXITS the community to some rich bubs pockets.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:34 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,486,476 times
I see a couple problems with Louisville getting an NBA team.

1. The most vocal proponent of the idea, it's face, is Bruce Miller; his anti U of L outbursts tend to jade the half of the city that loves U of L sports against supporting an NBA team. Miller has since called for bringing a team to a renovated Freedom Hall, which is ludicrous when a brand new top flight arena is 5 miles away. That hurt his credibility big time.

2. U of L's head coach has repeatedly voiced displeasure at the idea of sharing an arena with an NBA team. By comparison OU supported OKC's bid for the Thunder and Calipari was supportive of Memphis landing the Grizzlies and shared the city with them for for 8 years. (His UM teams improved in that time span)

Bottom line is a house divided against itself won't stand and Louisville is not united on getting an NBA team, as much as I think it would be an awesome thing for the city and entire region

Old 06-15-2012, 06:12 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,698,985 times
Call the team Louisville Colonels and be done with it.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:27 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,339,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
Apparently, many, many people in Louisville care. And millions around the nation. No need to be demeaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area