Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:51 AM

37,473 posts, read 61,423,512 times

Advertisements

I am glad they passed this law.

Generally I am against making new laws, as we already have plenty in existence. But this one I like.

I am no longer employed, so I have no bone in this employee-employer dog-fight.

I do not have a CC permit, though I did have one many years ago in a different state. It was a state where I needed a CC to transport a firearm from the store to my home, and again to transport it from my home to a pistol range. Transporting could not be done without a permit even if it was disassembled in a locked lock-box and in the locked trunk of your car. Had to have a CC, which first meant you had to convince a local that you should be allowed to have a permit.

Living here I do not see the need for a CC permit, other than to simply bolster the numbers of Mainers who do have CC permits.

I do believe that we should have a 'basic right to self defense', and that our nation's founders desired us to have a 'right' to bear firearms. However with the passage of time and the accumulation of laws this 'right' has became a privilege instead. Many American citizens do not have any 'right' to bear firearms, it has been taken away with additional laws. Many can only have this kind of firearm, and not that kind of firearm. Many can only have a firearm if they first get a permit, or first convince a bureaucrat that they deserve one; such is not a 'right' but a privilege.

Anything that can be done to moving firearm ownership from being a privilege toward being a right, is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 10:51 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,468 times
A better legislative priority, in my opinion:

(1) Revocation of CC necessity, putting the state in the very exclusive club with only four other states.

(2) Complete elimination of any law that could otherwise land a person in trouble for having either a weapon (of any type), or ammunition, or both, inside of a vehicle. No more necessity to have the ammunition and firearm separated, no necessity to have one or both locked away, and no privileged exclusions which allow CC holders to do this, but not everyone else. Equal parity among all gun owners. Not sure if Maine has this problem, most states do.

(3) Elimination of any law restricting possession and carry in private places where it might otherwise be restricted (varies by state - not sure what Maine currently prohibits... e.g. churches, restaurant, bar, private school), except where the owner withdraws consent otherwise.

(4) Elimination of most [though I would prefer all] laws restricting possession and carry in public places (again, not sure what Maines state specifics are, but commonly restricted public places in other states include: all town, county nd state "lands" and parks and refuges, police stations, town halls, all manner of other town and county buildings, community colleges and state universities and colleges, and I would even go so far as to include courthouses.

Or at the very least, I might entertain a compromise wherein there exists absolute citizen-parity with police officers. No double standards allowed. Wherever officers can carry, citizens can. If they don't like citizens carrying somewhere, then they have to likewise revoke LEO's ability to carry in that location, as well.

(5) "Felons" (a term which has been rendered into a complete absurdity nowadays) cannot even use pellet or BB guns to subsistence live, I'd eliminate that one just because of its inherent idiocy.

BB guns and air pistols are purportedly categorized as "firearms." I am sure the state law is replete with this kind of idiocy, through-and-through.

And then, a complete streamlining of fish and game laws. I'm sure that could be its own extensive list. I might start with the excluding all private property hunting from almost all game statutes or regulations, except a very limited few that are very clearly for safety reasons (of persons) [or animal humane reasons] only (e.g. no shooting across a highway, if one happens to own property on both sides of the highway, etc...).

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 06-22-2011 at 11:22 AM..

Old 06-22-2011, 12:18 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,668 times
I'm not arguing the law or the aspect of using a gun for hunting... But I was wondering if people really feel that threatened that you all feel carrying a gun in your car at all times is really needed?

I'm asking objectively, not judging anyone. I can see if you live in a really rough area and this law pertains but if you live relatively rural.... what is the threat/need?

Old 06-22-2011, 12:47 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I'm not arguing the law or the aspect of using a gun for hunting... But I was wondering if people really feel that threatened that you all feel carrying a gun in your car at all times is really needed?

I'm asking objectively, not judging anyone. I can see if you live in a really rough area and this law pertains but if you live relatively rural.... what is the threat/need?
I'll answer this one. It is not that I feel like I'm in threat all the time. It's not like I think something is going to happen to me every single day. I do, however, realize the reality that something COULD happen no matter where I live be it rural OR city.

For example, if I'm in my car, driving home from work at 2 in the morning and I break down, or slide out or whatever, the chances are that a) I'll be out there waiting for someone to come get me after I make a call or b) someone will drive along, see me out there and stop to help. I'd say that is exactly what will happen about 99% of the time.

However, there is also a chance for c) some idiot will take this as an opportunity to rob me, threaten me, whatever. Will it happen? Probably not. But if it ever were to happen, I'll be d*mned if I just sit there and LET it happen. If I have a way to protect my life, I'm going to protect my life. It only takes one time, one person to destroy your world. Why give them the chance?

Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:49 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,987 times
Quote:

Illegal drug use is rampant in most of rural America, including Maine: Tighter Lid on Pain Pills — Maine Opinion — Bangor Daily News

Home invasions and burglaries are on the rise.

Just this week an 81 year old woman was murdered during a home invasion: Autopsy: 81-year-old Farmington woman died of stab wounds — Maine News — Bangor Daily News

And earlier this month, Plymouth man was charged with Class B robbery Thursday for forcing his way into a woman’s home and threatening to give her an electric shock before stealing some of her possessions: Plymouth man charged with robbery after threatening to shock woman, police say — Maine News — Bangor Daily News

And, AUBURN, Maine — Police are investigating a report of a home invasion during which a man was beaten by a trio with guns while he was coming to rescue his daughter: Auburn woman, father say they were assaulted by 3 men with guns in home invasion — Maine News — Bangor Daily News

Plenty of stories out there. Read the newspapers.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:31 PM

37,473 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
In my mind, I do not connect 'feeling threatened' with firearms.

There is a convenience issue, that if you desire to do some target shooting before and after work; you can if it is okay to bring a firearm with you to work.

During hunting season if you wanted to go spend a couple hours in a duck blind, or tree stand before or after work; you can if it is okay to bring a firearm with you to work.

Twice I have had to stop my vehicle because a beaver had blocked the road with a log. Both times the beaver was there slowly dragging the log across the pavement. Hitting the log would have wrecked my car. In one case the beaver was so big that I was concerned that hitting it would have likely totaled my car. So both times, I ended up grabbing the log and helping the beaver to drag it across the road.

Now I dislike beaver. I routinely have beaver on my land building dams and flooding my land. If I had been carrying a firearm, in both of those instances I would have likely dispatched the beaver.

People in high crime areas may easily think of carrying firearms because they feel threatened. I do not.

We have a 'right' to carry arms in this nation to protect us from the government, not primarily for hunting, and not for protection from common crime; but from elected criminals.

Quote:
... I'm asking objectively, not judging anyone. I can see if you live in a really rough area and this law pertains but if you live relatively rural.... what is the threat/need?
I guess this may count as a 'threat' or a 'need', commonly I see fisher-cats and other large rodents making moves on my poultry. A few times it has been fox. Sometimes it is weasel. I keep firearms handy, and I use them routinely.

This is not a 'threat' to me personally but a 'need' for my livestock.

During my Active Duty military career, I served 6 years doing Law Enforcement. I daily carried a loaded firearm then, but now I think that I may actually fire a weapon more often now. This includes my service in combat.

I retired 10 years ago. I live at home and I tend our gardens and livestock. So I am not a person who needs to store a firearm in a vehicle at an employers parking lot. However the culture where I live is one in which people do freely use firearms. Hunting is common place, target shooting is common place, and in my small town we have one store front business.

Can you guess what it is?

What comes before a grocery? before a gas station? before a feed store? If you only get one store-front in a small town, what is it?

We have a gunsmith.

[now before anyone gets upset at me, there are plenty of other small towns that went first with a gas station or a grocery, I know. But in this town we got a gunsmith first]

Old 06-22-2011, 01:59 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,170,950 times
http://bangordailynews.com/2010/12/1...-in-eastbrook/

Eastbrook is a tiny town near Ellsworth. IMHO, it's in the middle of nowhere, but maybe others will disagree.

This homeowner was lured out of his house in the early morning hours by a female who claimed she got into an accident.

He was then assaulted using a type of pepper spray, and some sort of baton/pipe, I'm not sure what, but he managed to shoot the man who assaulted him dead (even through bad vision).

I know this is about carrying to work, but even so, people have the absolute right to defend themselves by any means IMHO - whether at home or work.

Actions have consequences. Until we decide we aren't going to tolerate bullying of epic proportions by making a few examples out of criminals and locking them up (not just slapping them on the wrist and giving them time served) this will continue and grow worse IMHO.

It'll be interesting to see the motive behind the latest stabbing in Farmington. I have my suspicions. I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by cebdark; 06-22-2011 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: Bad link

Old 06-22-2011, 02:15 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,870,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I am glad they passed this law.

Generally I am against making new laws, as we already have plenty in existence. But this one I like.

I am no longer employed, so I have no bone in this employee-employer dog-fight.

I do not have a CC permit, though I did have one many years ago in a different state. It was a state where I needed a CC to transport a firearm from the store to my home, and again to transport it from my home to a pistol range. Transporting could not be done without a permit even if it was disassembled in a locked lock-box and in the locked trunk of your car. Had to have a CC, which first meant you had to convince a local that you should be allowed to have a permit.

Living here I do not see the need for a CC permit, other than to simply bolster the numbers of Mainers who do have CC permits.

I do believe that we should have a 'basic right to self defense', and that our nation's founders desired us to have a 'right' to bear firearms. However with the passage of time and the accumulation of laws this 'right' has became a privilege instead. Many American citizens do not have any 'right' to bear firearms, it has been taken away with additional laws. Many can only have this kind of firearm, and not that kind of firearm. Many can only have a firearm if they first get a permit, or first convince a bureaucrat that they deserve one; such is not a 'right' but a privilege.

Anything that can be done to moving firearm ownership from being a privilege toward being a right, is a good thing.
forest---beekeeper has identified the problem.
Shortly after the Civil War the gun control movement in the United States began in earnest. Many of the citizens of the time feared groups such as Blacks and Native Americans. Laws were passed to prevent select classes of people from owning firearms. Native Americans were not even recognized as citizens until late in the nineteenth century. After a few decades of using gun control laws to control the behavior of groups of law abiding citizens seen as a "threat", politicians knew they had an effective tool to administer power over their SUBJECTS. Eventually the masses began to believe that firearm ownership was indeed a PRIVILEGE when it is actually a right.

At sometime in the future the elitists that have the power will make a real push to disarm the general public. Our citizens have been brain washed in to believing that firearms ownership is not necessary and must be curtailed. It is happening bit by bit. The only thing stopping these elitists from banning firearms ownership by citizens now is the KNOWLEDGE that even if there is only five percent of the population that actually believes that firearms ownership is a RIGHT and that just half of that 5% own a weapon and are willing to use it that would still be five or six million people. A number larger than ALL of the members of our armed forces.
Ironic that one of the biggest tyrants of the last century (Chairman Mao) knew that "power came from the barrel of a gun". He used that knowledge to subjugate millions of Chinese. But that has been what has kept us free since 1776 in the United States.

GL2

Old 06-22-2011, 02:45 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,668 times
I understand the need/want for firearms in the home in case of home invasions. Oh and I do read the newspapers.... gee thanks for that tip.

Not talking about that.... read my original reply.

It is about the need to carry it in your car at all times. Yes, I see if you happen to be alone at 2am or feel the need to stop and hunt after work.
but how often can/does that happen? So, really it is done because you can do it. That seems to be what really drives most people.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:10 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,547,807 times
Quote:
You lost me on "you all." Are you really lumping 1.3 million people into one? Why do you think everyone wants to be able to keep their gun in the trunk while they're at work? Where did you come up with that? I didn't get that out of this conversation.

Quote:
It is about the need to carry it in your car at all times. Yes, I see if you happen to be alone at 2am or feel the need to stop and hunt after work.
but how often can/does that happen? So, really it is done because you can do it. That seems to be what really drives most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine