Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 11:20 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times

Advertisements

If you're going east-west, between the Maritimes and central Cananda, then northern Maine is right "on the way". Many Canadian truckers enter at Houlton and head south on I-95 too. But other than those two exceptions, you have to be going to northern Maine because that's where you are headed, pretty much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 03:32 PM

538 posts, read 2,457,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I wouldnt be so quick to jump to this conclusion- Ive seen signs west of bethel "the great north woods" and this means 26 million acres (see below)

from bethel to .. colebrook nh is one of the prettiest rides-all mountains and "notches"
and if you've ever travelled this, you would believe the great north woods has so much land to it

last week, I drove to rangeley , then rte 16 (18miles) to stratton another beautiful ride- mostly trees and mountains

The Great North Woods of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and New York make up the largest and wildest forest left in the eastern United States. Twenty-six million acres of spruce, fir, beech and sugar maple are dotted with thousands of silver lakes and streams. Loons call across the ponds, moose browse in dense thickets, and Canada lynx pad unseen through the trees.
Northern and Western Maine is pretty darn remote, as are the Adirondacks. But I'd still have to say that there are lots of places out west that are far larger and even more remote. I know that the Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness area in Idaho has a 3.3 million acres roadless area. I believe that means no logging or even unmaintained dirt roads. I don't think anything east of the Mississippi has anything even close to that. That's pretty darn remote. I'm not sure about desert areas out west either, but I remember driving hours through Central Nevada off the interstate and seeing absolutely nothing but desert.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:30 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,240,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
Northern and Western Maine is pretty darn remote, as are the Adirondacks. But I'd still have to say that there are lots of places out west that are far larger and even more remote. I know that the Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness area in Idaho has a 3.3 million acres roadless area. I believe that means no logging or even unmaintained dirt roads. I don't think anything east of the Mississippi has anything even close to that. That's pretty darn remote. I'm not sure about desert areas out west either, but I remember driving hours through Central Nevada off the interstate and seeing absolutely nothing but desert.
You must have missed the title of this thread...

Old 11-08-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
You must have missed the title of this thread...
Read the thread- I was responding to someone who was making the claim that parts of Maine are just as remote as parts west of the Mississippi

Old 11-08-2011, 06:15 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
I know that the Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness area in Idaho has a 3.3 million acres roadless area. I believe that means no logging or even unmaintained dirt roads. I don't think anything east of the Mississippi has anything even close to that. That's pretty darn remote. I'm not sure about desert areas out west either, but I remember driving hours through Central Nevada off the interstate and seeing absolutely nothing but desert.
Actually the River of No return area is only 2.37 million acres and has 296 maintained trails that run 2616 miles through it. Not to mention the 32 national Forest Service roads that lead to 66 trailheads. The trail-less area is around 1.5 million acres.

If you are going to argue something you should at least use honest numbers. The real numbers are still impressive as hell, no need to fudge them.

As for east of the Mississippi, I don't believe there is any place as remote as the North Maine Woods in the US.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Actually the River of No return area is only 2.37 million acres and has 296 maintained trails that run 2616 miles through it. Not to mention the 32 national Forest Service roads that lead to 66 trailheads. The trail-less area is around 1.5 million acres.

If you are going to argue something you should at least use honest numbers. The real numbers are still impressive as hell, no need to fudge them.

As for east of the Mississippi, I don't believe there is any place as remote as the North Maine Woods in the US.
Frank Church

"At 2.3 million acres (9,300 km²), it is the second largest contiguous area of protected wilderness in the continental United States, after Death Valley.[1] Together with the adjacent Gospel Hump Wilderness and surrounding unprotected roadless Forest Service land, it is the core of a 3.3 million acre (13,000 km²) roadless area. It is separated from the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness, to the north, by a single dirt road (the Magruder Corridor)"

So, now explain what I stated that wasn't honest?

Old 11-08-2011, 07:05 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,081 times
Cool pic....I agree that the North Woods of Maine is the largest area of nothingness in the east.

2.3m acres isn't all that big considering the Adirondack Park is over 7m acres. I also think there are several places out west that have larger areas of nothingness in Nevada, Wyoming, Montana and North Dakota. Look at the size of Wyoming with less people than Vermont.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:15 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Cool pic....I agree that the North Woods of Maine is the largest area of nothingness in the east.

2.3m acres isn't all that big considering the Adirondack Park is over 7m acres. I also think there are several places out west that have larger areas of nothingness in Nevada, Wyoming, Montana and North Dakota. Look at the size of Wyoming with less people than Vermont.
Quote:
... Is Northern and Western Maine the most remote part of the US, east of the Mississippi?
Where is Nevada? In relation to the Mississippi river?

Old 11-08-2011, 09:07 PM

1. I think we can all agree that there are places west of the Mississippi that are more remote than northern and western Maine.

2. While there are certainly remote areas east of the Mississippi, such as the Adirondacks, parts of Pennsylvania, and West Virginia, I think northern and western Maine take the cake.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:56 AM

393 posts, read 981,872 times
Anyone wishing to read an excellent book about Northern Maine and its remoteness should take a look at "The Wilderness from Chamberlain Farm: A Story of Hope for the American Wild" by Dean Bennett.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine