Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 05:51 AM

740 posts, read 1,882,499 times

Advertisements

This is sad to hear. I remember going to the airport mall Mr. Paperback as a kid. I would get all of my greeting cards from there. When I was a teen I worked at Weeks restaurant that was the next business over and would go over and look at all of the dirt bike and snowmobile magazines during break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 07:36 AM

399 posts, read 854,988 times
In the past I have been the circulation manager for 125 weeklies at a major newspaper in my area. Although sales did start to decline we were always able to increase circulation with a little effort. That was several years ago and now it seems that for the up and coming generations life is too fast paced for them to sit and enjoy a newspaper as I do. They are more interested in headlines it seems and that's it. They then feel "informed". My contention is that there are so many stories and interesting articles that you don't find on the front page worth reading. That's why I like newspapers. I still read them every day and there's a lot to talk about. I find that most people these days cannot discuss much at all about current events and can only say that they have heard of something that transpired but no real depth of understanding. I have a kindle but keep putting off reading the books. The screen is small. My wife can read a book a day and would never consider using a kindle. She wants the hard cover or the paperback. Sad to hear of Mr. Paperback closing, especially the one in Dexter. More commerce disappearing and less taxes for the town.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:21 AM

118 posts, read 283,952 times
So now there is no modern bookstore in ellsworth? eek...

I have two kindles though... I dunno bookstores are just sort of not needed anymore... the technological age is sweeping away many institutions of old... I'm not really sad about it, I've been able to read all kinds of old public domain 1950's sci-fi stories on my kindle for free I don't even remember the last time I went to a bookstore... commerce isn't really disappearing, it's just shifting to new competitors and outlets.

Last edited by redgoast; 02-29-2012 at 05:35 AM..

Old 02-29-2012, 08:07 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
I like getting the books from ebay. I just like holding the book, I don't have to recharge a paperback.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:59 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I like getting the books from ebay. I just like holding the book, I don't have to recharge a paperback.

I get a lot of good books from Goodwill and other thrift stores. Sometimes you can get newer ones.

The rest (if I don't buy them in areas that still sell them that is) I go to the library for. If I really want to have a copy and I can't find it here, I'll order it online. If libraries disappear, I'll truly be sad. Thankfully, I don't think it'll be in my lifetime that they disappear though.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:41 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times
Just thought I would mention that for those that live in the Bangor area the Antique Mall on Maine Street has several vendors in the downstairs with hundreds of used books at great prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine