Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 11:09 AM

837 posts, read 1,710,728 times

Advertisements

Anyone considering a move to Maine who is thinking it might be better to move somewhere else? Maine is beautiful!!! But, at the rate people are deciding (wanting) to move there--I'm wondering if it will soon be too full. Ever hotter summers are influencing a lot of folks to try Maine.

Other factors are high crime and housing costs--but don't high crime and housing costs follow large influxes of people. Fifty years ago, (and forty, and thirty) everyone was moving to California. I love the California I grew up in, but when I go back it's completely different. Nothing affordable, rich people with strange plastic values, houses all over the once beautiful oak-filled mountains.

I do believe people have the right to live wherever they want--just wondering what Maine will be like twenty years from now. How is the Portland/southern Maine coast different now from 20 years ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 11:40 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Personally, I don't think that Maine is for everyone. It seems like an ideal state to retire to, but not such a good state to move to if you are trying to escape what ever social ill is driving you out of where-ever-and that's just it, it's just an escape. Yes, you can buy an awesome home here for half the price as in other states, but then what are you going to do? There is a job market here, but it is not that strong (although I hear that bio-tech might be booming here in the relatively near future) and last I checked Maine is still a pretty damn poor state.

With a population increase, you will also see a raise in crime, but I think that Maine is safe from a population explosion. Portland itself doesn't really seem to grow-as in for every one person who moves to Portland 3/4 of a person moves out-if you catch my drift. Although, the area surrounding Portland will probably increase over the next 15-20 years in what I predict will be in a southernly direction.

Auburn/Lewiston will also increase in population, but outside of that, I think that the rest of Maine will remain relatively the same.

I also predict in influx of out-of-staters buying up these cheap homes for use as seasonal rentals or summer homes. Must be nice to live on the Maine coast during the summer and Florida in the winter.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:42 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,022,184 times
treeluvr

you make many valid and interesting points. Remember the Eagles Song from Hotel California, 'The Last Resort' ....some of the lyrics said, 'you call some place Paradise, Kiss it goodbye'........

Maine's population and all of New England's population are growing slower then the national average. New Hampshire has seen the fastest population growth especially in the southern part of the state- and some residents are none too happy about the new sub divisions, shopping centers, big box stores and sprawl.

Southern Maine, metro Portland has grown slowly over the last 20 years. I would not be too unduly concerned-yet.

Over here in Connecticut, the states eastern part, known as the 'Quiet corner' Tolland, Windham and parts of New London county are currently the fastest growing in the state. Small towns, little traffic, farms, forests, low costs, high quality of life.

But growth from now till 2011 is seen from about 1-2.5% in most towns. And the zoning is very strict (As it is in Maine)

My visions are this for New England, steady but unspectacular growth in the next 5-10 years. With Vermont growing the slowest. Changes to this scenario are mostly predicated on climate change, and how well the economy performs.

Weather that is growing increasing hotter and drier in the middle of the nation and far west, could possibly see many coming to New England as 'climatic refugees'. Florida's problems with climate change are just beginning.

Time will tell. In eastern CT we are seeing some come from the gulf coastal states, California, Florida, Texas the Washington DC area, northern NJ and Long Island. For now only those from Florida and the gulf coast might be considered 'climate escapees'. The others are wanting out of a hectic lifestyle, traffic, crime, rude people and high costs.

In the future if the weather continues to heat up, all of New England may see growth in population from people wanting out of these hot areas. Florida in years to come will have issues with sea rise- high costs, and the amount to insure a home is staggering.

The middle of the country was an inferno this summer-if these climatic trends continue- New England could be considered a desirable place to live.
With far milder winters, but also problems with hotter summers. Portland and southern Maine in 20 years could see faster growth, if the weather heats up elsewhere in an alarming manner.

Last edited by skytrekker; 10-15-2007 at 11:53 AM..

Old 10-15-2007, 11:44 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post

Fifty years ago, (and forty, and thirty) everyone was moving to California. I love the California I grew up in, but when I go back it's completely different. Nothing affordable, rich people with strange plastic values, houses all over the once beautiful oak-filled mountains.
I agree, which is why I hope to never live in that state again unless it is up by the Oregon border or Truckee. For the record, even though there has been a shift in the California migration patterns (more people moving out of the state) there are still tons more that flock to it.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:31 PM

323 posts, read 993,025 times
While Oregon is beautiful it is full of people and expensive, few of the reason to get out of the West. While I love the west, it is to hot, to many people and the crime is so bad. News is nothing but murders and rapes and seriel killers and I am sick of it. I know there is crime everywhere but I don't want to raise my kids in this. Like Elcarim I don't go to many places at night by myself because I am afraid and I live in a nice, middle class neighborhood but there is still a security guard in the grocery store parking lot during the day!! I had a garage sale the other day and when finished I bagged stuff up for goodwill to pick up and set it in my driveway, 1 hour later it was stolen. Even if I was giving it away don't steal from me!! Knock on my door and ask for it and I would have given it to you. It just stinks, we want a better life for our kids even if it costs more and is cold, we can deal with that. Hope I don't sound like a troll

Old 10-15-2007, 03:34 PM

[quote=K-Luv;1737366] but I think that Maine is safe from a population explosion. Portland itself doesn't really seem to grow-as in for every one person who moves to Portland 3/4 of a person moves out-if you catch my drift. Although, the area surrounding Portland will probably increase over the next 15-20 years in what I predict will be in a southernly direction.

Auburn/Lewiston will also increase in population, but outside of that, I think that the rest of Maine will remain relatively the same.

I hope you are right. When I read the forums for other states, there is always some who want to move in to a particular state, but it seems that interest in moving to Maine forms a larger percentage of Maine Posts.

I've thought about northern CA also. Some beautiful country and many places are not yet so expensive--I think employment (for me) may be even more of an issue there than Maine

Old 10-15-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
treeluvr

In the future if the weather continues to heat up, all of New England may see growth in population from people wanting out of these hot areas. Florida in years to come will have issues with sea rise- high costs, and the amount to insure a home is staggering.

The middle of the country was an inferno this summer-if these climatic trends continue- New England could be considered a desirable place to live.
With far milder winters, but also problems with hotter summers. Portland and southern Maine in 20 years could see faster growth, if the weather heats up elsewhere in an alarming manner.
I agree with what you say. Some don't believe the weather is really changing, but it won't take many more years like the last couple to convince folks. If the warming trend does continue, the population distribution is going to change in some very interesting ways and affect a lot of things that we are not even thinking about yet.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:06 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkaye View Post
While Oregon is beautiful it is full of people and expensive, few of the reason to get out of the West. While I love the west, it is to hot, to many people and the crime is so bad. News is nothing but murders and rapes and seriel killers and I am sick of it. I know there is crime everywhere but I don't want to raise my kids in this. Like Elcarim I don't go to many places at night by myself because I am afraid and I live in a nice, middle class neighborhood but there is still a security guard in the grocery store parking lot during the day!! I had a garage sale the other day and when finished I bagged stuff up for goodwill to pick up and set it in my driveway, 1 hour later it was stolen. Even if I was giving it away don't steal from me!! Knock on my door and ask for it and I would have given it to you. It just stinks, we want a better life for our kids even if it costs more and is cold, we can deal with that. Hope I don't sound like a troll
You don't sound like a troll, just a disgusted westerner! I'm a disgusted southerner. I know the feeling! And I've already decided if the population of Maine does explode in the future and make breathing freely and running nekkid in the woods more difficult, there's always Canada!

Wonder how far north you can go and still get DSL and cell phone sevice.......

Old 10-15-2007, 04:07 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,382,450 times
I have been checking out cell phones but I don't know of any that get reliable service here. Hopefully MBM or someone will know

Old 10-15-2007, 04:08 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,022,184 times
Yes I agree again with you treeluvr

the great migration to the Sunbelt will end; Increasingly unbearable heat (which we have seen) Drought and lack of water, stronger hurricanes. After 2010 the heat will really begin to build, in parts of California, AZ, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, the Midwest, and the south including the Gulf coast, Florida and Carolina's (with tropical cyclones and sea rise causing nightmares in Florida)

And 'reverse migration' to the Pacific NW, upper great lakes, New England and the Canadian Maritimes. Only a fool would not believe something is terribly wrong now. Whats even worse, before they admit it, it will be too late.

New England population will see gains from people exiting these hotter regions. IT is happening now; and if the weather become hotter, the increase will grow. How much? Who knows- Go to all the New England states, from Vermont to Rhode Island, the interest is fascinating. And mostly for the reasons I have alluded to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine