Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 03:39 PM

84 posts, read 89,794 times

Advertisements

Well, I think that's settled it. We could serve Scottish mineral water, German lager, English apples, pork pies, potato salad, roast dinners and tea, Greek olives, French wine, and, if there's any cod, dover sole, halibut or turbot to be had, some local fish and chips. I suppose I'd have cope with the hard work of interviewing all the girls who'd apply to be a waitress there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 04:18 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
You should talk to my expat husband who has been here now for almost five years. He's probably about ten years older than you so he has more experience!

He's loving the sub freezing winters and the 95F summers. Well, he SAYS he does. But he goes and plays golf when it's 95F and then wonders why he doesn't feel well.

We found a fish and chips place in southern New Hampshire, also one in Mass. but REALLY good fish and chips is hard to come by over here. Luckily we live right next to the sea here on the NH border.

He can't understand that you don't heat up the kitchen in summer by cooking a roast. He can't understand why his prize begonias got fried in the heat. He suffers without "real" bacon. He won't eat squash (forgot what he calls it.........)

He's adjusted really well except for the food and the climate. You can find real beer here now so that helps. I've never been as far north as Rangeley--I wonder how the mosquito problem is up there.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:56 PM

Perhaps we'll meet one day. I hope to reach America in the Autumn, unless the attempt to sell my properties here falls flat. And when settled as well as he seems to be, I hope never to lose my English accent. Is his intact?

Old 07-22-2013, 07:42 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoCosmo View Post
Perhaps we'll meet one day. I hope to reach America in the Autumn, unless the attempt to sell my properties here falls flat. And when settled as well as he seems to be, I hope never to lose my English accent. Is his intact?
fortunately, we dont have accents, so we'll be easy to understand

Old 07-22-2013, 10:48 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
His is a northern accent and to this day, few can understand him. He can finally use the telephone but I have to be nearby to take over. He's got the vocabulary down pretty well: stove=cooker, sidewalk=pavement, parking lot=car park. I think once you reach a certain age, no matter what your accent is, it's safe from corruption.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:01 AM

^^ You would say that; but wouldn't there be several intriguing accents, even within Maine?
And wouldn't a Mothman- or sasquatch-whisperer sound delightful?

^ I have a northern accent too
You'll see, when I'm plied with drinks

Old 07-23-2013, 07:36 AM

893 posts, read 1,207,406 times
It's hard to understand what you are looking for if you don't like doing "outdoors stuff" and you also think Portland is "too congested"...

Perhaps a place like southern Michigan might be more your style. Plenty of small towns or suburbs to live in (away from the congested big cities), but those big cities with lots of things to do are not that far away to visit. In fact, Southern Michigan has some of the shortest traveling distances between its big cities in the entire country. It's a big state, but Detroit, Grand Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor, Flint, and Kalamazoo are all easily accessible regardless of which one you actually live near.

It is also much (MUCH) cheaper than the Northeast too.

Last edited by JoulesMSU; 07-23-2013 at 07:47 AM..

Old 07-23-2013, 07:50 AM

But we do like outdoor activities. However, we recognise that we're getting old for them. Thus, one of our favourite pastimes is supermarket shopping. And it's a co-incidence that you mention Michigan. My wife favours Holland; and I, as a Liverpudlian that has observed the decline and resurrection there, fancy speculating on Detroit. I think it'll soon improve there. And so, perhaps we'll look at Michigan too. Thank you

Old 07-24-2013, 01:14 PM

16 posts, read 25,326 times
Quote:
But we do like outdoor activities. However, we recognise that we're getting old for them. Thus, one of our favourite pastimes is supermarket shopping. And it's a co-incidence that you mention Michigan. My wife favours Holland; and I, as a Liverpudlian that has observed the decline and resurrection there, fancy speculating on Detroit. I think it'll soon improve there. And so, perhaps we'll look at Michigan too. Thank you
What part of Liverpool you from mate? From toxteth myself and looking to move to maine one day but by the sounds of the job market there it may be better for me to stay in the uk teaching and save up some extra cash.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:29 PM

In a previous incarnation (for it could hardly be a forthcoming one), long ago, I lived on Burdett Street, which has that oxytonic charm for me How is Sefton Park now? What subject(s) do you teach? Good luck with your ambition! This is like the Beatles' invasion, isn't it?

Last edited by BoCosmo; 07-24-2013 at 02:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine