Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 04:16 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daltrooney View Post
I have been researching Maine off and on for a few years, and have been doing a lot over the last week. Reading through all the comments on here, I can't help but be amazed when people say the cost of living is low
I have found the solution or answer to your amazement.

Maine is a state in a severe dichotomy, a contrast between two opposing economies.

There is one area, for the sake of discussion lets call it a 'congressional district'. This first area lets call it #1 basically encompasses Portland and a 40-mile radius around Portland. This is such a high-density population area that it has fully 50% of the entire state population living within district #1.

Then there is district #2, the other remaining 98% of this rural state.

As a high-density metro area district #1 subsidizes a passenger train to Boston, even though it's fare revenue has never broke even. The tax payers of district #1 want easy access to the thriving metro economy that Boston represents. It is in fact a bedroom community of Boston. High paying jobs, high taxes, high home prices and overall high COL resides in district #1.

Maine's economy is roughly divided into; tourism, forestry, fishing, and a dozen small fragments.

Tourism branches out from Portland. One arm follows the coast line, through dozens of small coastal towns that flood with tourists every summer. Another arm follows the NH border for folks who really don't want to drive far from their Mass homes. Lastly there is a region of heavy tourism around Moosehead lake. If you look at homes in any of these tourist regions, do not be surprised by how tourism dictates things.

There are places in Maine where homes start at $300k [district #1], there are also places in Maine where homes start at $30k [district #2]. Maine has a dichotomy of two opposing districts / economies.

Quote:
... I just can't wrap my head around the money.
Understandable.

Quote:
... I have been looking around Portland area mainly due to higher population
I have friends who live in Portland. I could never afford to live in Portland. They pay more in taxes in one month than I will pay in 5 years, I own a much larger home on 100x the amount of land, plus I have river frontage.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 05:31 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
The housing demand is extremely high around Portland

My son went to college in Portland so did hundreds of other
Students

Don't be judging Portland for all of Maine

Look at real estate pricing up in aroostook county
It is some of the cheapest amongst the east coast states

Portland is known as north Boston. For a reason

Old 08-23-2016, 06:21 PM

10 posts, read 13,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Maine is a state in a severe dichotomy, a contrast between two opposing economies.

There is one area, for the sake of discussion lets call it a 'congressional district'. This first area lets call it #1 basically encompasses Portland and a 40-mile radius around Portland. This is such a high-density population area that it has fully 50% of the entire state population living within district #1.

As a high-density metro area district #1 subsidizes a passenger train to Boston, even though it's fare revenue has never broke even. The tax payers of district #1 want easy access to the thriving metro economy that Boston represents. It is in fact a bedroom community of Boston. High paying jobs, high taxes, high home prices and overall high COL resides in district #1.

Maine's economy is roughly divided into; tourism, forestry, fishing, and a dozen small fragments.

Tourism branches out from Portland. One arm follows the coast line, through dozens of small coastal towns that flood with tourists every summer. Another arm follows the NH border for folks who really don't want to drive far from their Mass homes. Lastly there is a region of heavy tourism around Moosehead lake. If you look at homes in any of these tourist regions, do not be surprised by how tourism dictates things.

There are places in Maine where homes start at $300k [district #1], there are also places in Maine where homes start at $30k [district #2]. Maine has a dichotomy of two opposing districts / economies.

Understandable.

I have friends who live in Portland. I could never afford to live in Portland. They pay more in taxes in one month than I will pay in 5 years, I own a much larger home on 100x the amount of land, plus I have river frontage.

You, my friend, win response of the day. It makes sense though, especially after browsing Bostons prices. I personally would rather live in the other 98%, but I just assume (d) all the jobs were in and around the Portland area. After previous comments I did start looking at the rest of the state, and it is much more reasonable.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
You, my friend, win response of the day. It makes sense though, especially after browsing Bostons prices. I personally would rather live in the other 98%, but I just assume (d) all the jobs were in and around the Portland area. After previous comments I did start looking at the rest of the state, and it is much more reasonable.
I know that my observations at times sound brisk or offensive. It is not my intent. I am just trying to be honest.

You said that your background is car dealers. There are some scattered around.

Your wife and her psychology degree, will she be going on to further degrees? Does she need to spend time in internships? You might find a home somewhere other than Portland.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I know that my observations at times sound brisk or offensive. It is not my intent. I am just trying to be honest.

You said that your background is car dealers. There are some scattered around.

Your wife and her psychology degree, will she be going on to further degrees? Does she need to spend time in internships? You might find a home somewhere other than Portland.
Not at all! I was serious when I meant that was the best response . I obviously come across differently than I mean to as well!

She is working on her Bachelors Degree right now, but is planning to do her Masters at a minimum. Honestly, we will probably try to get her all finished up before we make a move.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Not at all! I was serious when I meant that was the best response . I obviously come across differently than I mean to as well!

She is working on her Bachelors Degree right now, but is planning to do her Masters at a minimum. Honestly, we will probably try to get her all finished up before we make a move.
After she finishes her B.A. is a good time to move. There must be a gazillion options for her Masters. Consider UM-Orono.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:56 PM

91 posts, read 103,318 times
That explanation was perfection. Your post should be the headline to the Maine (Portland and Bangor) forums!

My husband lived in Hancock County (Southwest Harbor, then Ellsworth) for 3 years. When we got married he insisted we have our honeymoon near Acadia...we did and it was incredible. I loved it so much I suggested we move to Maine. During our trip we had a rental car and spent a majority of our time in Bar Harbor and Portland, though we traveled all over the state and even spent some time in Portsmouth (since he also lived there for 3 years). My husband assumed I would want to live in Portland but I had no interest in living there at all, ever. He was shocked when I suggested the Bangor area or Ellsworth. But, after months and months of research and reading through these forums, it seems like Penobscot County and Hancock County would be the best fit for us and what we want. They have affordable houses with land, yet they have hospitals, shopping, entertainment, plus a short drive to the coast and mountains (we love hiking, biking, and kayaking). I absolutely agree that there are two districts in Maine and my vote is for "district 2"

Quote:

Understandable.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoLo4444 View Post
That explanation was perfection. Your post should be the headline to the Maine (Portland and Bangor) forums!

My husband lived in Hancock County (Southwest Harbor, then Ellsworth) for 3 years. When we got married he insisted we have our honeymoon near Acadia...we did and it was incredible. I loved it so much I suggested we move to Maine. During our trip we had a rental car and spent a majority of our time in Bar Harbor and Portland, though we traveled all over the state and even spent some time in Portsmouth (since he also lived there for 3 years). My husband assumed I would want to live in Portland but I had no interest in living there at all, ever. He was shocked when I suggested the Bangor area or Ellsworth. But, after months and months of research and reading through these forums, it seems like Penobscot County and Hancock County would be the best fit for us and what we want. They have affordable houses with land, yet they have hospitals, shopping, entertainment, plus a short drive to the coast and mountains (we love hiking, biking, and kayaking). I absolutely agree that there are two districts in Maine and my vote is for "district 2"
We will be looking more around Bangor or Ellsworth as well, after doing some research. I think we are going to plan a trip next summer to check the area out and vacation at the same time.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:39 PM

2,036 posts, read 3,353,840 times
I've been on and off the Forum for years.

It's been my "dream" to move to Maine since i was about 17 - the 4th or 5th yr i traveled there i guess. Have been there tens and tens more times since then.

Now at 57 and retired, AND finally convinced my S/O who's originally from NYC (hopefully - we're going up to Washington County coast in Dec. so he can see what he's getting into he's never been up that far ) - we are making the move within 18 months. And it cannot happen soon enough.

My parents were in love with the state, but we had a small cottage on the NJ shore, where i grew up spending every Summer. That cottage was sold when they passed, and nothing even NEAR the Jersey shore is affordable nowadays. I hope to live along the salt water, marsh, cove, bay, or some type of inlet - tidal at least! Love that area, especially.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,136 times
I was born and raised in Maine and married a boy from Boston. He fell in love with Maine, so when we married, we chose Gorham to settle down & start a family. We lived in Gorham for 20 years raising our 2 children and decided a year ago to make Moosehead Lake area our permanent home. He is a custom home builder and I am a real estate broker. We love our lifestyle and wouldn't trade anything or live anywhere else for the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine