Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 05:14 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,198,331 times

Advertisements

HELLO MEnME!

Thank you for your message, and posting this!

I really enjoyed reading it, I appreciate it!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE OUT THERE!!

CHEERS!

PEACE!

Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEnME View Post
Attachment 11695

During the coming
Christmas season
May you be blessed
With the spirit of the season,
which is peace,
THe gladness of the season,
which is hope,
And the heart of the season,
which is love.
'Nollaig shona duit!' Happy Christmas!

Old 12-15-2007, 05:49 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
chestnuts roasting on an open fire,,,,,,,

merry christmas all, and to all a good night

by the way ...has anyone actually ever roasted a chestnut?
we had a few huge horse-chestnut trees, in the neighborhood we grew up in,,
it was a rough neighborhood, like apples (in season) we'd have horse-chestnut fights,,they would sting if ya got hit in the head somewhere

maybe we should change the lyrics,,fiddle-heads roasting on an open-fireeeeee

Old 12-15-2007, 05:56 PM

837 posts, read 1,710,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

it was a rough neighborhood, like apples (in season) we'd have horse-chestnut fights,,they would sting if ya got hit in the head somewhere

maybe we should change the lyrics,,fiddle-heads roasting on an open-fireeeeee
Maybe chestnut roasting is a New York City thing--at least I've read that they have vendors on the street who sell them. (Never saw them on the west coast.) I did buy some here (Philadelphia) one year and roast them. I didn't think they were particularly worth eating--maybe I just didn't know what I was doing with them .

Old 12-15-2007, 07:22 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:

Yep, we roast 'em. I either wrap them in foil and stick them in the firebox of the kitchen range, or take off the left rear lid and use an antique roasing gizmo- it's like a closed pan about 3/4 of an inch thick with holes in the top and bottom for the heat to pass thru without burning the nuts...well, I'm not completely sure that that's what it was originally intended for, but it works very well for roasting them.

There's an older feller of Italian blood, who I talk to on the free-band radio, that was always talking about roasting them in his toaster oven and my other half decided that it might be fun to try it. She brought some home one year and we lost track of them. Same thing the next year. Finally, the third year, we actually managed to get them roasted. Turned out pretty good. Now we do it every year.

I wanted to do some tonight but she just had a root canal yesterday and isn't really up for it.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:35 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
ok....you've really got me wanting to try this! Zymer, how long do I roast them, approx temp (I'm guessing about 350?) and can I do it in an electric oven? any hints would be good....I saw them in the barrel at S&S and thought about picking some up, but I've never tried it. Also, what do they taste like? similar to?

sorry for the strung on rambling! I'm tired!

Old 12-15-2007, 07:40 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
ok....you've really got me wanting to try this! Zymer, how long do I roast them, approx temp (I'm guessing about 350?) and can I do it in an electric oven? any hints would be good....I saw them in the barrel at S&S and thought about picking some up, but I've never tried it. Also, what do they taste like? similar to?

sorry for the strung on rambling! I'm tired!
I think 350 would work, about 20 minutes. You cut a little "X" in the top of each one to let steam escape, and when the edges where you cut start to curl up, they're about ready. Let them cool a little before you peel them.

I can't really say what they taste "like", I've never had anything quite like them before. Kind of nutty and buttery is probably the best way I can think to describe them, mild flavor, not overpowering.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:44 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
Thank you! I'm definitely trying them! I like most nuts--there's one, but I can't remember what it's called....I don't like it at all. But, mild, nutty and buttery works!! I wonder if I can get out before the storm starts tomorrow to pick some up....hmmm....would be a nice little something different after shoveling

Old 12-15-2007, 09:16 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,404 times
Quote:
Roasted chestnuts are delicious!! Best to buy them on a street corner, tightly wrapped in a paper holder and then hold the warmed nuts in your hand. Instant warmth rushed throughout your body. Delicous- tasty and rich and buttery!! You can find them for sale in Vienna and Pairs on street corners in winter. Of course you can roast them at home- though be careful- they get super hot inside and you do not want to burn them.

Yes, I remember throwing chestnuts at my older brother. They are dangerous and spiny green orbs when you pluck them off a tree and use them to hurl at the neighborhood boys. Make sure they do not hit you in the eyes!!

Old 12-15-2007, 09:58 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
Default From Our House To Yours

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i316/Cornerguy1/Christmas07004.jpg (broken link)

Wishes for a Merry Christmas and hopes of a joyous and safe Holiday Season to all.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:51 AM

837 posts, read 1,710,968 times
Thanks CG--beautiful tree! (I like the frog too.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine