Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 12:08 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,226,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussie View Post
We bought a home in Pembroke a ccouple years ago.The couple along with the R.E.A were supposed to have the title to the property in 30 days. They assured us they would. Well they didn't and we got out of the deal with the 14,000 we put down. It was horrible. We had the moving company deliver all our belongings to the house and we had to find another house in a week to buy. So we had to move 2 times in 30 days. It was a nightmare...I don't know why Maine doesn't require the title up front, like other states. They said that the house we bought would have clear title in like 40 years.. NO THANKS.. WE WOULD BOTH BE DEAD AND BURIED BY THEN!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is very interesting, I'm sorry you had to go through that. A good title company will alert the buyer's agent that there are red flags well before the closing to avoid this type situation. A poor title company does everything at the last minute which is most likely what happened here. Buyers have the right to choose their title company, and not just accept the lender's choice (which may be an affiliate of the lender, which is fine as long as it's disclosed properly). The buyer agent can steer you to mortgage and title companies that have proven themselves over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
I have also noticed while engaging in my hobby of internet real estate surfing, that there are quite a few agencies in Washington and Hancock county that do not elect to participate ( or pay for) the MLS listing service. Either way, potential customers will find them via a google search or local newspaper search.
That's a great disservice to the seller, as their home will not be available to folks outside the local market, unless they have the patience to surf all of those agency's web sites (if they can find them). The MLS' nationwide feed their listings to the well known national website, as well as the regional ones like my company's that have heavy traffic. Over 50% of the people who have registered on our website are outside the local market (much like the posters on City-Data.com).

Old 01-06-2008, 12:30 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
Lots of great post going on here. Very interesting stuff. Thanks to all contributors.

I would not only invite but encourage anybody with any info about listings not obtainable on normal MLS services to DM me with them. i.e. Agencies not participating in MLS, FSBO, etc.

Many Thanks
I have met a couple who collects land. They are not an agency and certainly not realtors, just foresters who buy and trade land.

The couple that I got my land from keep a three to four page listing of their own properties.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
That's a great disservice to the seller, ...
It is possible that the sellers do not see things the way that you do.

In which case it is not a dis-service at all.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:13 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,427,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
It is possible that the sellers do not see things the way that you do.

In which case it is not a dis-service at all.
All sellers want their property to be viewed by the masses. I believe WhoFan Me is pointing out that an agency not linked to the MLS, is not promoting the "sellers" home to as many customers as possible and therefore the "disservice" to the seller.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
All sellers want their property to be viewed by the masses. I believe WhoFan Me is pointing out that an agency not linked to the MLS, is not promoting the "sellers" home to as many customers as possible and therefore the "disservice" to the seller.
Thank you.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
If such were the case, then ALL sellers would be taking their properties to a realtor.

However here on planet earth such is not the case.

All sellers do not use realtors.

Some may, while some may not.

One of the things of why I line Maine is the huge portion of properties and homes here that are transacted without paying a realtor.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:35 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,721,129 times
Quote:
I got my real estate license a few years ago before the market started to slow. It was really just to support my investing but I did try and make a go of it, although a little half heartedly. Anyways...........and I mean no disrespect to any agents...........it's a tough business......but with out the MLS they would be screwed.

All the training, licensing, fee's, advertising ect, is nothing with out the MLS. I cannot believe there would be any agent...or agency in Maine that feels it does not need access to it. It is why there is much lobbying from the national association of realtors to keep the MLS closed to the public.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:38 PM

I do realise that realtors will tell you that from realtor statistics almost all properties are handled by realtors, and the few exceptions are dealings between family members.

But look around, and it simply is not true.

I did not purchase my land from a relative.

The folks that I bought from sell properties all the time, where does that statistic f9it into the realtor's stats? It does not, the realtor community feeds their own numbers into their own stats.

Feed in junk, and what do you expect to get out?

It is certainly not a true picture of all transactions.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:41 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,110,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
It is why there is much lobbying from the national association of realtors to keep the MLS closed to the public.
You've brought up a point that puzzles me - can someone please enlighten?
If the idea of MLS is to bring buyers to the seller's listing agent....why do almost all realtors hide their property addresses on Realtor.com and MLS so that buyers have to find and beg a local agent --- 99% of the time someone they've never met before and have no idea if they're dealing with a good, bad, or mediocre agent --- just to get email notifications with addresses?

Wouldn't it make more sense to make this information more easily available and searchable? Just wondering!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine