Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 05:46 PM

36 posts, read 117,435 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, new to maine, a few months now. I love the town were in for all it has to offer, especially the schools for my kids. The only problem we have is that all the people here are not like us. Sure there nice.. proper... polite..etc.. but they are all..um..how can I describe it.?? Everyone just seems like old farts..(no offense to the old farts out there) but even the younger people our age,(30ish) seem to be very tight... proper... Id like to meet some poeple who are loose, laid back, wanna party a bit.. responsibly of course. We moved to a town that most residents are wealthy I think...maybe that has something to do with it. We are not, but we want a good life for our kids. Not sure if life on the "Cape" is all we hoped it would be.. socially that is..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 05:58 PM

12 posts, read 36,714 times
I have seen that as one of the beauties of the people of Maine when i have visited. They are very polite and friendly, but i suspect you have to pay your dues a bit longer than a few months. History with people says alot and Mainers seem to be quite patient in developing history. Give it time and remember you moved there so try and adapt to their ways.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:00 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
La-Di .... Da-di

Ladi Dadi who wants to party?

It may take a bit of time to find like minded people, so many people are working hard just to stay ahead of bills in this economy. You may want to join a group of some sort where you can meet people with similar interests. Host a BBQ or bonfire party for neighbors, church or civic members.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:08 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doozer View Post
Hello everyone, new to maine, a few months now. I love the town were in for all it has to offer, especially the schools for my kids. The only problem we have is that all the people here are not like us. Sure there nice.. proper... polite..etc.. but they are all..um..how can I describe it.?? Everyone just seems like old farts..(no offense to the old farts out there) but even the younger people our age,(30ish) seem to be very tight... proper... Id like to meet some poeple who are loose, laid back, wanna party a bit.. responsibly of course. We moved to a town that most residents are wealthy I think...maybe that has something to do with it. We are not, but we want a good life for our kids. Not sure if life on the "Cape" is all we hoped it would be.. socially that is..
Well, now. Where ARE all the real people, indeed. Normally these "lifestyle" threads aren't of interest to me, but I think I will take a shot at this one.

First of all, if you have lived in Maine for only a couple of months, you haven't been there long enough to even really meet people.

Secondly, it is very true that most of the younger folks...thirtyish....may well be concentrating on making a living and just tending to their own families. You are from away. They have probably seen "people from away" come and go. Until they know that you will show up after the first heavy snow, why should they bother?

Finally, since you are "from away", it may be that the perception is that you have brought with you the superficiality of wherever you came from. It may be that the people who are there ARE the real people, and their perception of you is that you are just not worth bothering with.

I would suggest that you spend more time just listening and watching, and perhaps talk a little less about how the locals all seem like "old farts".

Old 04-01-2008, 06:20 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,827 times
After 22 years, some of my regular customers declared me an official Mainer, something about spending my winters here.

LOL!

Join some organizations, but do not run for any office for the first few years. MSINA is right. People up here tend to work a lot to make ends meet and don't have a lot of energy left, at least this time of year.

Having kids in school is a HUGE plus on meeting people!

Old 04-01-2008, 06:29 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
When I was new in town I went into the town office with a question and the selectman was literally shaking his finger at a citizen and telling him he should not have anything to say because he was a newcomer in town. The man had lived here for 20 years and was born 11 miles away in the next town. I have been here 25 years now and I can sit on the corner stool at the coffee shop some days.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:11 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
Hello everyone, new to maine, a few months now. I love the town were in for all it has to offer, especially the schools for my kids. The only problem we have is that all the people here are not like us.
It's not that Mainers aren't like you it's that you aren't like Mainers. Relax, get out and meet more people and keep an open mind. Welcome to Maine.

I had lunch in Smyrna yesterday. I commented about the impressive snow banks. Someone said, "You must be from away." He was right. I'm from so far away I'm from another county.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:36 PM

77 posts, read 197,477 times
I'm sorry to hear about your experience...

It may (I stress, *may*) help to know where you're currently living. You mentioned 'life on the "Cape" '. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that. Do you live in Cape Elizabeth, Cape Porpoise, Cape Arundel, or are you referring to Maine in general?

What are your interests? Have you checked your town's website, local web news-sites, or weekly circulars for common interests you may have with the community? Are you employed in the town you reside in, or have co-workers residing in or are close to the town you reside in? That's a great ice-breaker.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:45 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Find out where the sandpits are. Then get yourself a six pack or two of Nastygansetts or Old Millinocketts and show up there on a Saturday night. Be sure you bring an extra case of beer to give away to all the minors hanging out at the pit and you'll soon have all the "real partiers" you can handle. Having a loud stereo in your truck is a bonus too! Good luck.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:45 PM

513 posts, read 897,153 times
Quote:
Doozer, even though I am a life long Mainer I can imagine being in your shoes. It is hard to come into a new state, trying to find some common ground with others where you have chosen to live can be an adjustment.

There are people like you but it may take a little chatting with other parents and getting involved in the community to find them. How long have you been here? If you just moved here during the winter, people tend to become hermits in the winter. When the warmer weather gets here, getting outside can help. You mentioned you want to meet some laid back people who like to get together and party, believe me you are not alone with that one so give it some time and get out there and meet people and it will happen. Common interests like golfing, boating, 4 wheeling, snowmobiling, etc are great ways to meet people too. Good Luck and welcome to Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine