Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 07:20 PM

277 posts, read 891,734 times

Advertisements

I grew up around Unity, worked in Unity at one of the most famous stores around -- The Beverage Mill -- until it closed a couple years ago. People used to come from all the towns around as we had the largest assortment of alcohol around. Unity is a somewhat weird place in my opinion....It is a town where 2 very different types of people clash. Not to be stereotypical but there are the "hippies" and the "rednecks". The "redneck" crowd hates the Common Ground Fair and the "damned hippies" that it brings to town. The "hippies" are the folk that have ties to Unity College and the Common Ground Fair. Around the time of the CGF things can get down right rough, I've seen people get pretty nasty toward each other.

Unity as a town doesn't have a whole lot going on, as NMLM said it is the town that time forgot. They have a nice House of Pizza, which serves of the absolute BEST pizza and subs around.

I'm not sure how the elementary school is there, but the Junior High and High School age kids goto Mt. View. I graduated from Mt. View and hated it. The school itself is falling apart, they are however building a new school which should be ready next year or the year there after. The teachers that I had were all nice, there are always the bad ones that you don't look forward to but I feel like my education from the school is equal to that of others. It's all in how much the students apply themselves...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 08:20 AM

607 posts, read 2,368,880 times
NMLM, what do you hear about family life in this town? Know anything about the schools (young kids) here? I've spent vacations in this area due to extended family, but also have friends further south. We are trying to do homework for a possible relocation down the road and am considering many possibilities. I know we can get more land and home for the money up here, but like the idea of being further south for employment opportunities. Our friend down south are in Belgrade Lakes Area and Winthrop area. Any insights would help.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:49 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
Once the fair is over it's pretty calm. If the Maine State Police would just bring in all the drug sniffing dogs from throughout New England during the fair the dogs would get some really good training and the drug problem in Maine would be reduced for the next year or so.

If you live in Unity the fair week is a good time to take vacation and go to a state park in Maine. Most Mainers have a low tolerance for drug abuse. That's why the "rednecks" and "hippies" clash annually in Unity.

Now out in Strong, Maine there is an annual Hempfest where there are no clashes at all. The town of Strong seems to have a strong majority of hemp enthusiasts and they welcome their contemporaries with open arms.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:22 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Once the fair is over it's pretty calm. If the Maine State Police would just bring in all the drug sniffing dogs from throughout New England during the fair the dogs would get some really good training and the drug problem in Maine would be reduced for the next year or so.

If you live in Unity the fair week is a good time to take vacation and go to a state park in Maine. Most Mainers have a low tolerance for drug abuse. That's why the "rednecks" and "hippies" clash annually in Unity.

Now out in Strong, Maine there is an annual Hempfest where there are no clashes at all. The town of Strong seems to have a strong majority of hemp enthusiasts and they welcome their contemporaries with open arms.

i thought it was the town of "starks"?? (not, strong) that had the hempfest

maybe with all that weed, the towns all sound the same,,lol

Old 09-01-2008, 01:17 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
Starks, Strong, Madrid (pronounced Mad rid), Phillips and Industry are all within shouting distance and they grow the finest sensimilla anywhere; or so I'm told.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringselpup View Post
I live fairly close. I know that the IGA sold out to become an Edwards Shop N Save, which has some sort of arrangement with Hannafords. The scenic railroad thing filed for bankruptcy and is not operating which is an awful shame.
Hannaford has yet to help the community. Everything is overpriced, especially produce. Meat is pretty well priced, although to get to anything, you have to work your way around various "As-Seen-On-TV" items. The pharmacy has gone from being seperate from the grocery store, to a main part of it. And the train station, wow. Its just really plummeted. They put new siding up, and they still have all the old trains laying out, getting broken by young kids of teh community. Depot store is still intact, serving greasy food to greasy people. The beverage mill has recently given way to a dance studio and a pizza joint, the third in Unity. Zaharias replaced the Homestead, a shame really. I've been once and I probably won't go back. Unity's just falling away to time.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:26 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,518,710 times
I live near Unity and used to farm what is now the Common Ground Fair. (MOFGA). I would definately say Unity has changed, but this is what I have always said about Unity...despite having everything to its advantage (Big Lake, College, Nice Town Setting, the people's attitudes their are downright arrogant.

I do not see it as being a town where the rednecks take on the hippies...I see it as a town where the people just cannot work together. They try and try, but after a good idea crops up, the town fights itself so much that it soon falls apart.

I have often looked at Brooks Maine as being the exact opposite. Its a town in a nice setting, but lacks a lake and anything to really draw people there, and yet the town's people work so well together. They have Block Parties and in times of need, can really pull together and get things done for the needy in town and whatnot. They have heart. If Unity ever finds that, they will be a great town, but until that occurs its a facade...

(PS: I do not live in either town so my opinion is pretty objective)

Old 05-08-2011, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,682 times
looking to rent small apartment or other living arrangement for student who attends Unity College.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:19 PM

468 posts, read 758,756 times
Interesting comments all.

One thing, doesn't Unity have a growing Amish community and if so, how do they factor in to the picture, or are they too small a segment to matter much at all?

'Just wondering.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:45 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1451010bel View Post
looking to rent small apartment or other living arrangement for student who attends Unity College.
My daughter will be a freshman there in August. I'll ask her what people she knows are doing to find apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine