Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 03:52 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,467,464 times

Advertisements

Being the stand up kind of person I am.... I'll warm em'!

My son and his Dad headed up to Caribou for their first snowmobiling weekend of the season. This is the second winter in a row they were riding up there before Christmas, which is a dream come true for them.

Yesterday they managed to ride only 175 miles, short day for them. Plenty of snow around, but none of the trails had been marked yet with signs. They got turned around a couple times at a few intersections. No matter how many times you ride those trails, in the middle of the woods without any other tracks out there it's easy to not recognize where you are.
They eventually made their way to Madawaska, where they had groomed on Friday night. They had a stellar time on the first ride of the season. Lot's of snow, nice trails a few of which they had to break out. They found plenty of downed trees in some areas.

My son is one happy guy tonight!

Last year they rode snowmobiles every weekend in Caribou from Nov - April. That's winter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 03:59 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,428,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post
Shoot, wrong link keeps coming up.

This might help?
City of Caribou Maine

Old 12-14-2008, 04:05 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,467,464 times
Oh there you are! I was just talking about you! Yes! Thanks, you're the best!

Old 12-14-2008, 04:14 PM

973 posts, read 2,383,295 times
AcadianLion is correct. Caribou IS a city. One of 22 cities in Maine. Local government is what determines whether a municipality is a town or city. (and might be unorganized township which has no local Gov't so Augusta runs the show) A Town may have open town meeting, representative town meeting, or counsel/manager. A city will have counsel/mayor. If you want to win a bet, bet someone that Ellsworth is the largest city in the State. After the person you bet with tells you it's Portland, whip out the Gazetteer and show them that Ellworth is 79 square miles. (Portland is 21 square miles) Presque Isle is second largest city...75 sq mi. Didn't say to bet which was the most populous city!!

Old 12-14-2008, 04:30 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times
OK This sounds like my kind of thread.

Lived in the Caribou area for close to 20 years and just left in June of this year. Not a whole lot there really. Of all the towns in that area Caribou is the LAST one I would live in anymore. Fort Fairfield would be first choice, Easton would be number two, Presque Isle #3, Washburn #4, Mapleton #5, Then every place else is just about the same. In all honesty the hospital in Caribou is actually a pretty good one and has some excellent ER Dr's. It is tiny and has limited services for unusual circumstances, but they do a decent job. My wife has worked for TAMC in Presque Isle, Cary in Caribou, and several other hospitals around. Couple in Mass and New Hampshire, as well as two here in Michigan. She still swears the local ER Dr's at Cary are the best she has worked with anyplace (the temps they get in are hit and miss usually).

Culture in Caribou area is usually found under the sink or around a toilet bowl. Sorry, but there isn't a lot of it to be had up there. Don't get me wrong, I have some VERY close friends there who I miss a lot, but there isn't much in the way of culture and diverse things to do.

It is a long drive to anything that resembles a city and God help me, after a little while, the 35,000 in Bangor starts to look like a bigger city. The 70,000 in the Portland area starts to look packed. Nothing wrong with that if that is what you are looking for. Just be warned, it does take some getting used to, and there are a LOT of people I have seen in those 20 years up there that come to "get away" from the city. Only to discover they didn't want to get quite that far away. Some settle in nicely, others it is a long hard road they eventually get tired of trying to make work for them.

Fishing is so-so. A lot of fun and the wildlife is great up there. If you are into canoes, it is a wonderful place. Nothing like gliding along silently and coming on a great big bull Moose munching the bottom grass in a lake or river. Being so quiet you can hear them chew it, then the soft splash as they dip that great big head back under the water to get another bite, and the waterfall off their rack when they bring their head back out of the water. Just remember, they are wild animals and amazingly fast for such a large creature. Too close and they very well may stomp you into a memory. Hunting is also so-so. There are some truly huge deer up there, but there isn't enough hunting pressure to move them around. So after hearing that first shot during deer season, they just go into the thickets and lay low.

Before buying, I would recommend a visit or three first. February would be a good time, Late May or early June would be a good time as well. Then sometime in mid August. That way you get to see the area in it's three toughest times. February when everybody is tired of snow and cold, and it is usually at it's peak. June is when the Black flies come out to feast on anything that is around. Some years they are enough to drive you crazy, and there is very little that will deter the little Bastards. Then in mid August is the heat. Don't let the Northern lattitude fool you, it can get darn hot and dry up there.

I really am not trying to scare you away, because I have some very fond memories and dear friends up there, as well as family. I still like the area, and would live back there if I had to, but it is a tough place to live and people need to go into that area with their eyes open and not clouded by low housing prices and dreams. For the most part the people are very friendly, but you will never be a local, know that in advance and it is easier to take when you hear the "Yeah, but you are not from here." Even after 20 years it was comical to me. Especially when it is somebody who wasn't born when you moved into the area. (Yes several times that has happened to me. Once with somebody I have a photo of me holding when they were just 2 days old ) If that doesn't bother you, then that area can be a good place to be. The people still watch out for one another, and if there is a fire it is NORMAL for there to be so much help given and household items donated that a huge yard sale has to be held with the proceeds going to rebuilding, because there is just too much that is donated. People know what it is like to do without, and will give anything they can to help someone else who may need it more than they do at the moment. That you don't find many places anymore, but it is in abundance in the PI/Caribou area.

Sorry this is so long winded, but there is a lot to say about the area, and after living there for so long ....

Old 12-14-2008, 04:41 PM

67 posts, read 238,293 times
Default Visit first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenretrieverlover View Post
We are considering buying a 2 family house in Caribou to get away from the hustle and bustle of life where we are now. How is life in Caribou?
I'm sorry--I lived in Aroostook as a kid and still have lots of family there, but when I read this I laughed out loud. No offense to anyone in Caribou, which I've been to many times, or you, GRL, but--wow. Moving from Florida to Caribou...that's extreme.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:43 PM

87 posts, read 252,020 times
Caribou has a nice motel that will take dogs for no extra charge, for just $50 a night. Clean. Wonderful. Hallowell, Maine is also a city. It once had a mayor and has remained a city with a mayor. But Hallowell, Maine only has 3000 people. Framingham, Massachusetts is a town with five selectmen and a town manager. That town has 70,000 people in it, but it is a town.
Don't be fooled by the printed word. There are only one million people IN THE ENTIRE STATE OF MAINE. Please come visit us for the seasons that you want to be here - i.e. if you want to live here, visit for the life of a year. At this time of year the daylight lasts less than nine hours. Where did you say you are from?

Old 12-31-2008, 12:50 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,974,083 times
Actually to be precise and more accurate:

Population of Maine in 2005 was 1,321,505
Population of Hallowell in 2007 was 2,453

Courtesy of City-Data data

Old 12-31-2008, 01:14 PM

87 posts, read 252,020 times
There are nine months winters up there, folks ! And blistering hot summers unless there is no summer at all.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:23 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
Nine months of winter in Caribou?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine