Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2009, 06:37 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,423,457 times

Advertisements

A new ad campaign for Frito Lay features Darrel McCrum from the County.
He and his brother bought the farms here 5 years ago and plant Frito seed exclusively.
Lay's® Potato Chips - Ad Gallery (http://www.fritolay.com/lays/ad-gallery.html - broken link)

Old 05-31-2009, 06:48 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,518,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
A new ad campaign for Frito Lay features Darrel McCrum from the County.
He and his brother bought the farms here 5 years ago and plant Frito seed exclusively.
Lay's® Potato Chips - Ad Gallery (http://www.fritolay.com/lays/ad-gallery.html - broken link)
So forgive me for I am from away, but when you say from the county, is there a specific place you are referring to?

Old 05-31-2009, 06:48 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,090 times
Thanks for the link! I am in Florida, and Hastings is only about 30 miles from where I live. There is a community close to Hastings called Spuds...

Loved the county potato grower too!

Old 05-31-2009, 06:49 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,058,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Gdude, you are welcome!

Any word on the 2nd interview?

Nope if no call by tomorrow then I didnt get the job.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
Nope if no call by tomorrow then I didnt get the job.
Do you have any touristy places near you? For example, amusement parks are great places for a summer job.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:06 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,538,229 times
Quote:
So forgive me for I am from away, but when you say from the county, is there a specific place you are referring to?
The County is Aroostook.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
The County is Aroostook.
Thanks, MW. Of course, washington was the one that came to mind.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:39 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,058,275 times
Quote:
Do you have any touristy places near you? For example, amusement parks are great places for a summer job.
Touristy. Well their is the Interstate-Commercial district along I-70. Plainfield is a major stopping/resting point for cross country travelers. Their are atleast 10 hotels and 20 restaurants. I've applied to a few places their. Most of the places their require you to be atleast 18yrs old to work their.

The closest amusement park is about 100 miles North of here in Monticello.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:57 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude
Forest Beekeeper:

What got you started into bee keeping?
Well this is the 'off-topic' thread so here goes:

Something that I did once was I was looking at the usage of the phrase 'husband'; it is only used when describing men in particular circumstances:

1-a husband is the head of a wife,

2-a bee hive is kept by a husband-man,

3-a grape vinyard is maintained by a husband.

We studied all three topics through out the Bible, to see what further teaching they held for being a better husband.

But for me that was still not enough.

While in prayer about my desire to know more life skills and to be a better husband, my career moved us to a new area (in California) and in looking for a home, we found a home with a vineyard. So while we lived there; I made husbanding that vineyard, my hobby. I attended college as a horticulture major. I learned to graft, prune and train grapevines. Iearned that they need to be frequently watered, yet well drained [vines need to be watered regularly, the soil can not be allowed to dry out]. Any errant branches need to be trimmed early on (before so much growth goes into them, that it hurts the vine when they are cut-off). When a branch starts in a direction you like, you adjust it and train it onto supports, so the vine will put extra growth into that branch that gets the extra attention. The vines must be moved and twisted and trained to grow in the direction that provides them with the most sun light and to ease harvest. It is those vines which then grow the most, become strong and self supporting. Weeds must be removed quickly as the vines should not compete for nourishment. In this way, each vine will work it's hardest to produce the sweetest juiciest fruit. Only then will the vine produce heavy sweat fruit.

Later (we were in Connecticut), I got to reading about bees and eventually got a hive. I husbanded that hive for three years, as my hobby. I bought a beehive, and learned to keep bees (good tax write-off). They need a safe solid home, protected from wind and weather, with easy access for them, but limited access for anyone else. They need water close at hand. Their placement needs to be done with consideration of where they are expected to work, and how they can get to their work. They will defend their home and only allow a loving husband near them. Bees tend to sense your fears or if you hold evil intent, so you really need to be calm and cheerful when handling them. I learned that bees need to be located in a sheltered location, out of the wind, with nearby clean water. They need a clear path to their food. If placed within a grove of trees, they will never leave that grove. If placed in a location that is out of the wind where they can climb up high above the trees, then they will travel a radius of 20 miles to find food and bring it all home again. They will work hard and produce much honey and wax. If I focus my attention and am gentle with them, maybe using something to provide a little distraction, when I go inside their hive; they will spare their wrath and will willingly give me all of their sugary honey.

I think that I have learned that my wife needs to feel safe and protected; encouraged in her activities, and provided with any implements she needs to be able to work safely. Whatever she is good at, I need to point her in that direction and ensure she has full access to anything she needs. Anybody that distracts or bothers her needs to be addressed quickly. She should only be handled gently, and with my full attention.

My wife and I, saw from the 'Virtuous Woman' passage in the book of Proverbs that she can run her own businesses, own her own lands, her own employees, and harvest food for her family. She has took on more of those responsibilities, with her income. When I realized that from the Biblical example I am not really supposed to be the exclusive 'bread-winner' that our culture teaches men to be, we have shared things much more.

I have seen in our society, men heavily burden themselves with the weight of being the absolute "bread winner" and provider, the protector and "bringing home the bacon". Our men age faster than women, they have medical problems and they die younger.

My father on one hand, is furious at me. Because he thinks a man should never let his wife earn an income, let alone use her income for living expenses.

I think that over-all I have learned much and that I am a better 'husband' for having learned these things about husbands.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:58 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude
Pretty good.

Schools out!

I am officially a Junior in HS now.
Wow that is really cool dude!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine