Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 01:10 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Hey did anyone else see this?

Study prompts provinces to rethink flu plan - The Globe and Mail (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/science/study-prompts-provinces-to-rethink-flu-p%3E%20lan/article1303330/ - broken link)

The Candaian CDC says that their latest " ...study confounded infectious-disease experts in suggesting that people vaccinated against seasonal flu are twice as likely to catch swine flu."

So every province except New Brunswick has decided to hold off on administering the vaccine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 01:36 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
We already got our flu shots, Thursday we are supposed to get our pnuemonia shots. I'll ask about the H1N1 shots then.
On a brighter note,....... the foliage is absolutely breathtaking right now.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:11 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,341,190 times
I heard on the news that they had already started giving out the first shipments of the vaccine to doctors and nurses.
As for the leaves, it was a beautiful drive to Machias this afternoon. It was downright breathtaking up toward Fredricton on Saturday when we went to King's Landing. Figure our leaves will be at their best by the weekend, and I get to drive the Airline to Bangor one day this week, so I'll get to see 'em again!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:58 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

Study prompts provinces to rethink flu plan - The Globe and Mail (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/science/study-prompts-provinces-to-rethink-flu-p%3E%20lan/article1303330/ - broken link)

The Candaian CDC says that their latest " ...study confounded infectious-disease experts in suggesting that people vaccinated against seasonal flu are twice as likely to catch swine flu."

So every province except New Brunswick has decided to hold off on administering the vaccine.
Very interesting. Thank you for posting that link. I have been debating whether I should get the regular flu shot (no intentions of getting the H1N1) so this article helped me decide. I usually get it every year with the only problem being of that of a sore arm for a day. I am definitely holding off.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:49 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:

That's government run, single payer, health plan talk. They don't want to buy the H1N1 vaccine for Canada so they made up the seasonal vaccine study. How could they possibly know people are twice as likely to catch H1N1 if they have a seasonal shot when the seasonal shot only became available last week??? Sounds like BS to me.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:53 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
That's government run, single payer, health plan talk. They don't want to buy the H1N1 vaccine for Canada so they made up the seasonal vaccine study. How could they possibly know people are twice as likely to catch H1N1 if they have a seasonal shot when the seasonal shot only became available last week??? Sounds like BS to me.
The CDC has been testing variants of the 'new' vaccine for weeks.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:19 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
The CDC has been testing variants of the 'new' vaccine for weeks.
It has not been around long enough to draw any conclusion. It still sounds like a lot of hooey to me. Could it be the people getting the early flu shots are more susceptible to the flu in general as they are the ones in the higher risk groups?? I would not follow the word of the Canadian CDC over the suggestions of the US CDC. My brother got the seasonal flu shot and THAT made him sick so how does that fit in the equation. No matter what you do you are taking a chance. If you get the seasonal shot you might still get the H1N1 before that vaccine is widely available. The vaccine itself may make you sick. They reported on the news tonight the nasal version of the H1N1 vaccine is a health risk to people with bad livers, kidneys, lungs and pregnant women and they should wait for the shots to come out! Who knows! It's really nice to have ten different sources give people ten different answers.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:16 AM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
We went to the Portland Soc. Security Office this past week to file for benefits....I want to put in a good word for a government run program....they were so very efficient and helpful even with follow up phone calls to assure their information included every eligible job held. Every time I have had contact with Social Security I have been impressed with the service and amazed at their ability to keep track of every quarter of an individuals work history....pre...computers. Medicare and Social Security are examples of government run programs and "bureaucrats" who do excellent work.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:30 AM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,341,190 times
Trust me, elston. The bureaucrats are not the little worker drones who do the actual work. Bureaucrats are the people who are shooting their mouths off so that we don't know what to believe about what's going on in our government. What gets done in any government run agency depends upon the same factor as any private business--who is calling the shots and doing the work. If you have good management and good workers, the job gets done. If you're are running into unreasonable obstacles, it's either bad management or lazy workers.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:38 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper1212 View Post
Trust me, elston. The bureaucrats are not the little worker drones who do the actual work. Bureaucrats are the people who are shooting their mouths off so that we don't know what to believe about what's going on in our government. What gets done in any government run agency depends upon the same factor as any private business--who is calling the shots and doing the work. If you have good management and good workers, the job gets done. If you're are running into unreasonable obstacles, it's either bad management or lazy workers.

And unfortunately that is the "norm" in the larger cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine