Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:17 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times

Advertisements

A couple months back I heard or read that the Turnpike Authority of Maine had spent $100,000 for "Art Work" for the visitor's center at the Southern end of the Maine Turnpike. When some complained that it was a waste of money, their reply was "Well we used money from the tolls. Someone that is a bit creative could have checked out the Art Dept. at the University of Southern Maine to see what the students have that they would like seen. It is unacceptable to me to have the toll money spent in that way. We are the ones paying the tolls. I thought that was supposed to be for the upkeep of the road. I just don't "get it" with some of these people in charge. I wasn't planning to vote for Tabor but over the last month or so I have changed my mind. One ad on the radio has been telling us that The State of Maine Gov. pays out $85,000 a year just for bottled water. I could go on and on but you get the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 07:36 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,015,308 times
As I understand it the Turnpike Authority got a Federal Public Arts Grant to fund their purchase of a series of Wegman characteristic dog photos. The intention was high art with a mass appeal. The installation is in the kennebunk rest area faciality.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:27 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,007,656 times
There are costs associated with many activities that folks enjoy and value.....when it is for something that we appreciate.......it may seem like money well spent....when it is for an activity or interest that we don't share....it may seem like extravagence. $100,000 for public art....doesnt sound like a lot......in an area that serves the public.....and is associated with the tourist trade and resultant income.

I might question money spent to promote some interest that I dont share or participate in.....but that doesnt mean it is misspent. I dont know the costs associated with sport hunting or fishing or rescue services for wilderness enthusiasts....but if public monies are used.....my personal interests don't mean it is misspent.

I know that there is some real waste and hope that is addressed...but all in all.....I have a lot of confidence in our government......Democracy is still the best in the World. I won't knock it.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:55 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,151,481 times
Although I understand what you are saying elston, and generally agree...if toll money was used for that, rather than fixing the roads...I've got a problem.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:00 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Does anyone know for a fact how the money was raised? Tolls? Or a grant? Or both? Something else?

Old 11-02-2009, 09:14 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
$2B in wasteful state spending claimed - Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/122421.html - broken link)
Quote:
Likewise, money used for a new Maine Turnpike Authority building and more than $100,000 for artwork at a Kennebunk rest stop came from tolls, which are the MTA’s dedicated funding source.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:19 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
Although I understand what you are saying elston, and generally agree...if toll money was used for that, rather than fixing the roads...I've got a problem.

I agree. If someone donated the artwork or money for the artwork, then that would obviously be no issue; however, IMO, toll money raised ought to be used to fix the roads so tourists will be more likely to come up here.

Were I a tourist, I'd much prefer to ride over decent roads than to admire artwork at the rest stop (which chances are I wouldn't even stop at). It seems a flagrant waste of money in this economy, and I'd feel exactly the same way about funding anything I were interested in.

Wastes like this tend to "stir the pot" of discontent when it comes to spending money in this state. Oftentimes, IMHO, that's when complicated pieces of legislation and/or referendums are introduced and passed that can result in us biting our noses off in spite of our faces.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:37 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
Quote:
Likewise, money used for a new Maine Turnpike Authority building and more than $100,000 for artwork at a Kennebunk rest stop came from tolls, which are the MTA’s dedicated funding source.
And they whine about not having enough money for roads and want us to pay more in taxes. Try driving on artwork.

Sport hunting?

Old 11-02-2009, 10:39 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
Default memories....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
A couple months back I heard or read that the Turnpike Authority of Maine had spent $100,000 for "Art Work" for the visitor's center at the Southern end of the Maine Turnpike. When some complained that it was a waste of money, their reply was "Well we used money from the tolls. Someone that is a bit creative could have checked out the Art Dept. at the University of Southern Maine to see what the students have that they would like seen. It is unacceptable to me to have the toll money spent in that way. We are the ones paying the tolls. I thought that was supposed to be for the upkeep of the road. I just don't "get it" with some of these people in charge. I wasn't planning to vote for Tabor but over the last month or so I have changed my mind. One ad on the radio has been telling us that The State of Maine Gov. pays out $85,000 a year just for bottled water. I could go on and on but you get the idea.

Ahhh, this brings back memories! Iworked for a couple years in the administrative offices of the MTA................saw the inner workings lol...
I wish there were some way to describe to folks just how inefficient that organization is....like MOST publically-funded ones........
I hate to say this, because I worked with some great folks there! Really nice people. And I will always be appreciative of the time there, maybe because now when I read "Dilbert" I can roar with laughter, because I am able to definitely "GET IT"!
It was Kafkaesque, in a highly comical, laid-back kind of way. I think our motto should have been, "ooooops!"
Good times, good times....

Old 11-02-2009, 10:46 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
As I understand it the Turnpike Authority got a Federal Public Arts Grant to fund their purchase of a series of Wegman characteristic dog photos. The intention was high art with a mass appeal. The installation is in the kennebunk rest area faciality.

Seems to me I read the same thing. I think it was fromn the Bangor Daily. These political groups mcan skew facts around quite a bit especially the closer it gets to election day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine