Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 05:59 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,574 times

Advertisements

Actually, I'm just funnin'...............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 06:13 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
Actually, I'm just funnin'...............

I consider sarcasm "funnin'" That tends to get me into trouble sometimes 'tho...

Nonetheless, back on topic...Bucky snuck across my backyard this morning...I think he only crosses when he hears the DH's car leave for work.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:33 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
I'm so excited! I'm getting my first deer license in more than thirty years in Maine. Yesterday, I got my old 30-30 Winchester...the one my great grandfather used to hunt squirrels and 'possum for the stock pot around the old logging camp...and polish her up. I took a while to get 'er all cleaned up and shining. I jacked open the breech and looked down the muzzel, and think there is still enough room for the bullet to go through past the rust when I see that deer! I am sooo excited!

The reason I'm so excited is because of the new area that fish and wildlife has set aside for new hunters way up in the north western corner of Maine. You can hunt up there without fear that you will **** off the tree huggers or the deer lovers.

My wife showed me the newspaper article all about the place. It doesn't cost anything more than $10 for the license and you can hunt there all you want during the season.

The hunting ground is called "Fair Game Preserve", and fish and wildlife have been developing it for about five years. It's absolutely LOADED with dear, and you are guaranteed that you will see and hear more deer there than anywhere else in Maine.

The article said that every deer is certified and carries at least an M-16. I would just love to get me one of them...those big M16 antlers would look real good over my fireplace.
I can think of at least one squirrel your grandfather missed.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:16 AM

740 posts, read 1,882,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
I'm not a hunter, but as a farmer the deer and I seem to co-mingle on many things. I have had a few deer knock down some fencing, but for the most part there do not seem to be as many of them as in years past. Since I am out everyday in the fields and the woods, my sightings of deer should be higher then what they are. I know they are here, but I think the numbers are way down. I can't attribute it to the coyotes though, we pulled 71 coyotes off this farm last year, 40 by trapping and 31 by hunting. That should have put a deep dent in the coyote population here.

As I said, I am not a hunter but certainly am not opposed to it either...good luck to everyone.
We have been seeing the same thing around camp in Aroostook County this year. We have had two harsh winters in a row plus there are a lot more coyotes around since they changed the trapping laws to protect the Lynx.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:44 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Nothing this morning though I did jump one early. I couldn't see it to shoot. Did a lot of sitting. Had a nice breakfast with a buddy at North Pownal General Store. Off to vote then on stand until dark behind the barn.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:20 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxtrader View Post
We have been seeing the same thing around camp in Aroostook County this year. We have had two harsh winters in a row plus there are a lot more coyotes around since they changed the trapping laws to protect the Lynx.
The lynx thing up there is stupid, it was a bunch of anti-hunting and anti-trapping groups that got that done. Lynx have never been abundant anyways in the lower 48 states. Over here in Vermont (particularly Northern VT), we haven't had any lynx taken even though they're here, more than many realize, despite the fact I can set any foothold trap made (can't trap bears but oddly enough, there's nothing stopping one from setting a trap that big out as bad an idea as that would be). Non-target animals are generally released unharmed and no good trapper wants to catch something endangered in the firest place. Give an inch to those antis and they'll take a mile...I bet they're all happy the yotes are over populated up there now hurting hunters and others. Maybe some coyote hunting contests will make a slight dent.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:51 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,518,710 times
I hear you. As I said I am not a hunter, but when they started the "no fur in clothing" campaign, I think they did way more harm to animals then they did good. Instead of trapping them humanely, they become overpopulated in an area and die slowly of starvation. Its like filling a 5 gallon pail of water. Its all good until the pail becomes over-full and the water pours out. That is when you have a mess. In this case there are places with wildlife pouring out and causing issues with towns and neighborhoods, not to mention flooded roads from beaver dams and whatnot.

I wish we had more trappers. The ones here have done so much good for me, never have caused a problem, and are damn effective. Now if only their furs could have a market, more trappers would return to a great way of life. If only the anti fur people would stop wearing their nylon, polypropylene, and lycra...I mean it is obviously better to pump oil from the ground rather then wear something that is replenishable, and needs to be managed. (lots of sarcasm there obviously).

I know one thing, as a sheep owner they aren't wearing wool! Wool sales are the lowest they have ever been.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:57 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,015,308 times
Corporate probably wants you to go GMO with your sheep so they can grow polypropylene wicking wool.

By the way my outdoorsy MA and NH friends always laugh , saying they can tell the Mainers(me and DH) by all the woolens they wear in the winter, as opposed to Gore-tex.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:59 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
I wear lots of wool! And a fur hat in the winter.

One of the biggest problems with fur prices is ranched mink has basically taken over the fur market. The biggest fur auction house, NAFA, was created when ranchers bought out the Hudson's Bay Co.'s auction business in the 1980's (the date also coincides with the fur market crash). They claim to still be marketing wild fur, but they do little of it in actuality. In fact, the biggest buyers of wild fur are Russia and China, and their marketing is promoting ranched mink more than anything else there. Now ranched mink isn't bad but, there's so much more available too (beaver, muskrat, marten, fisher, bobcat, red and grey foxes, otters...) that many don't even know about, and often more affordably too other than the expensive bobcat, fisher and marten.

And then add in the antis pushing for restrictions, etc., and it makes for a bad situation.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:07 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,518,710 times
I was not aware of that...thanks for the info and sorry for the turn of events. As I said, I am not a trapper, but have let many, many trappers trap here and have never had ONE SINGLE ISSUE! They have done a lot of good, but surprise surprise, good things happen on a farm when you manage your wildlife and not just your livestock. Kind of keeps the LIVE part in the LIVEstock title! (LOL)

As a side note, one of the most beautiful furs I ever saw was a coyote hide tanned from a bullet hitting it in mid-January. Being in full fur, it was a beautiful tan, black and white fur. Of course for this sheep farmer, any coyote pelt looks good because it means there is one less coyote running around.

:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine