Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 04:25 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times

Advertisements

One article about a rocket scientist and we'll even out!

Old 11-10-2009, 05:45 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
Linda Bean is in the lobster business. If the yuppies buy up all the waterfront property in the harbors we won't be able to fish. This is one of the stated goals of the environazis. They want to make the whole Gulf of Maine a "non-extractive marine reserve". That means no fishing, no lobsters, no clams and you couldn't even dig sea worms or harvest kelp. Linda wants Mainers to be able to fish. She is buying up piers, wharves and nearby land so we can continue to fish. Kudos to Linda. She is trying to preserve a way of life.

As to Carolyn Schute; She depicted a small segment of society that exists everywhere, whether it's in a backwater town in Maine or a teeming government project in New York. The Time writer is just one more cog in the propaganda wheel trying to make Maine sound unattractive as a place to live.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:11 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
One article about a rocket scientist and we'll even out!

True - and I'm sure there is at least one hiding up here somewhere!

Old 11-11-2009, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Linda Bean is in the lobster business. If the yuppies buy up all the waterfront property in the harbors we won't be able to fish. This is one of the stated goals of the environazis. They want to make the whole Gulf of Maine a "non-extractive marine reserve". That means no fishing, no lobsters, no clams and you couldn't even dig sea worms or harvest kelp. Linda wants Mainers to be able to fish. She is buying up piers, wharves and nearby land so we can continue to fish. Kudos to Linda. She is trying to preserve a way of life.

As to Carolyn Schute; She depicted a small segment of society that exists everywhere, whether it's in a backwater town in Maine or a teeming government project in New York. The Time writer is just one more cog in the propaganda wheel trying to make Maine sound unattractive as a place to live.

Well said.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:57 PM

143 posts, read 252,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Every state has its characters. Back in the '80s someone in FL asked me if we had electricity in Maine yet. (Does Florida have gators? )
Good One, MW!

Old 11-11-2009, 05:00 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
I carefully explained feeding acorns to the gray squirrels to keep them running on the treadmill to generate our electricity.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:18 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Oh dear...anyone want to place bets on how "backwater" this is going to make Mainer's look now?

How the Beans of Egypt, Maine, Sprouted a Militia - TIME

I must admit 'tho, I find this quote quite charming:

"We ain't right wing, we ain't left wing. We're trying to get the folks to see the problem ain't left vs. right; it's up vs. down. A Republican is a standard screw," said Chute. "A Democrat is a Phillips screw. So whichever way you vote, you get the screw."
I think she hit the nail on the head about politics and how the government does not represent the people. The article was posted on the Second Vermont Republic website as well. She reminds me of the old timers in Northern VT too. Libertarian in mindset, independent, able to live without any modern conveniences or outside help, willing to stand up to the government when necessary, not interested in others' distaste for one's lifestyle. A real Northern New Englander. Who cares if a bunch of people in NYC or Boston think of others as rednecks or whatever. We had something like her militia in the NEK where I grew up, we just didn't call it a militia. It was neighbors who are armed and willing to help defend each other, who enjoy shooting and visiting from time to time.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:09 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,660 times
ok this is my take on the whole thing.WARNING IM NOT GOING TO BE NICE>SO IF YOU GET OFFENDED EASY DONT READ.
these idiots give the old time real militia a bad name.
just a buncha kook's in the woods with gun's.and then you get the moron who yells out F...America.
he's just lucky i wasnt there.for i am an American.
sure there maybe were some good people there but from the article it makes the state of Maine look like some back woods sister datin toothless gun totin droolin morons.
hay time magazine next time you do an article on Maine stay away from the dude in the tinfoil hat carrying a gun.
as if we dont get enough people coming in here and asking us stupid questions wait till they read this.
do you guys really have out houses?you dont have running water?ya we run down to the brook and fetch us a bucket.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
ok this is my take on the whole thing.WARNING IM NOT GOING TO BE NICE>SO IF YOU GET OFFENDED EASY DONT READ.
these idiots give the old time real militia a bad name.
just a buncha kook's in the woods with gun's.and then you get the moron who yells out F...America.
he's just lucky i wasnt there.for i am an American.
sure there maybe were some good people there but from the article it makes the state of Maine look like some back woods sister datin toothless gun totin droolin morons.
hay time magazine next time you do an article on Maine stay away from the dude in the tinfoil hat carrying a gun.
as if we dont get enough people coming in here and asking us stupid questions wait till they read this.
do you guys really have out houses?you dont have running water?ya we run down to the brook and fetch us a bucket.
Ranger - I salute your ability to say what's on your mind. I am completely serious about that. Thank you.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:52 AM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Ranger - I salute your ability to say what's on your mind. I am completely serious about that. Thank you.
thanks but im just saying whats on my mind. well not every thing because i hds to be a little nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine