Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 10:06 PM

4 posts, read 9,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Ironman, I do have one question.....is how do people there feel about the development in all those counties, including the suburban sprawl in Hagerstown (perhaps Prime Outlets taking business away from downtown Hagerstown which I haven't been to yet) or about all the hotels and chains and fast food going around the lake. I've always idealized the small-town life. I listen to country music all the time and watch CMT and GAC as an escape from my reality in Montgomery County. I've always been fascinated by small-town Middle America and considered it sad when chain stores and restaurants and subdivions replace Main Street, the drive in movie theater and the old diners. I long for that NOrman Rockwell America before I was born.

I've met a lot of people from Hagerstown and Frederick who hate the changes and really enjoy the small town life. (I've heard Walkersville described as the perfect place to live). But I've also met others from small towns over the state who like the new development because it gives them more options in terms of food, shopping, nightlife, etc. There are those who don't miss the old independence businesses and say they were actually inferior to the franchises. So from your perspective, do most western Marylanders look back on the good ol' days or do ya'll think development is a good thing?

Also, from your part of the state, do you consider Maryland a northern or a southern state? I personally like to think of Maryland as southern because at least IMHO southern is cooler and more pleasant things come to mind when I think South vs. North, esp. Northeast.
Hmmmm.... Personally, I think it has its good points and bad. Its good points are that it does keep the prices lower on main street america. Their are things in oakland that I purchase in the speciality shops like certian clothes and medicine, even books. However; going to Walmart to go also has its good points because it carries alot of items the smaller stores would not carry. Development and expanding is [SIZE=3]inevitable[/SIZE]. The problem as I see it is that Hagerstown and the rest down that way have been overdeveloped and local goverment is largely to blame. They are the ones that aproved all the building permits for all the buildings to be built. Up here we have a reverse problem. The commishiners will not aprove anything that they feel does not belong here. The main reason we have crappy paying jobs up here is because of them. There has been several business try to develop in Garrett County that where going to pay between 10.00 and 15.00 a hour (This is considered really good pay up here) but the commisioners told them no unless they dropped their pay. Most of them scrap their plans and build eleswhere. My mother owns a business in oakland and is a member of GOBA and usally tells me of the stupid crap the goes on at meetings.

I got off topic sorry

Anways, for entertainment we usally go to motown anyways.

And as for north vs. south, my wife considers it middle eastern, as for myself, my relatives where Union, so I tend to lean that way. lol

Last edited by Ironman311; 02-13-2008 at 10:49 PM.. Reason: misspelled word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I guess you just mean Garrett County cause I have quite a few friends from Cumberland. For their hometown the most common college is Frostburg, followed closely by College Park and UMBC. I understand Western Maryland may be culturally and economically more similar to West Virginia and Pennsylvania, but I think school wise, its a lot easier for someone from Oakland or McHenry or Accident to get acceptable as a Terp than as a Mountaineer because WV is still out of state status One of our basketball players, WIll Bowers I believe, came from Hancock, whether that's legimitately western MD I'm not sure.

About the driving, myself and my cousin and my mom have all been guilty of that and its not limited to going to Garrett County or the Lake. I remember driving on one of the roads around there (I believe it was Germany Road or something like that) and I was like how the hell can the speed limit be 50 mph because in Montgomery County or Baltimore County a narrow-winding road like that is always like 40 mph. I honestly felt nervous driving past 40 mph on some of those turns, especially since the road went through some rather high hills and bends. Ya'll must be very skilled drivers to do 55 mph on a winding two-lane road without crashing. And actually I coudln't really enjoy the scenery because the road winded so much I was afraid if I took my eyes off I would crash.

There was time once when I had the impression that small town folks all drove the speed limit because that's the way I saw it many years ago in Idaho and Utah. But western Maryland drivers can be quite aggressive too.
Egad, cumberland folks that rute for Frostburg?!? Thats unheard of. LOL My wife graduated from Fort Hill and she said that most people that go to FSU from cumberland usally went to AC first.

Come up here on Gameday saturday and count the shirts, 9 out of 10 you will count a WVU shirt. Plus Garrett County has instate tution at WVU And Preston County WV has instate tution at Garrett College. I am not saying their are not Maryland fans, but you will be hardpressed to find them. Pluss, I am looking online, but I know The Cumberland Times did a poll a few years ago about which college you cheered for and 85% was WVU fans. Its just that when you think of the Terps, you relate them to the eastern part of the state.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:39 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Wow I didn't know Garrett County had in-state tuition in West Virginia. Well guess thats another example of how western Maryland is different from the rest of the state. I'm from Montgomery and some folks from Baltimore and Annapolis don't consider us the "real Maryland" either.

Of course I'm a Terp myself and around here everybody is one. Maybe if WVU played in the ACC there would be a rivalry. Now we hate on Duke when Duke doesn't care about us....by the way I'm still feeling down over tonight's game down in Durham. I thought we would have a better season this year.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Wow I didn't know Garrett County had in-state tuition in West Virginia. Well guess thats another example of how western Maryland is different from the rest of the state. I'm from Montgomery and some folks from Baltimore and Annapolis don't consider us the "real Maryland" either.

Of course I'm a Terp myself and around here everybody is one. Maybe if WVU played in the ACC there would be a rivalry. Now we hate on Duke when Duke doesn't care about us....by the way I'm still feeling down over tonight's game down in Durham. I thought we would have a better season this year.
You must be more a basketball fan then football. WVU and Maryland are rivals in football. Altho, Maryland backed out to play California, but I think they play each other again in like three or four years.

yeah I listened to that game on the radio.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:55 AM

7,009 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Maryland basketball has more fans in Western Maryland than WVU does. WVU definitely has more football fans though. I guess it depends on what sport you like better. As for myself, I root for both, but I am a Terp fan first and foremost.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:47 AM

20 posts, read 120,469 times
I don't think anyone mentioned one of my favorite spots--the North Central Rail Trail (NCR Trail) which runs from the middle of the city of York, PA down through northern Baltimore county, ending in Hunt Valley. Great for dog walking, bike riding, jogging/running, bird watching (I saw an indigo bunting last year which was stunning); I live five minutes from two access points and use the trail all the time.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:59 PM

29 posts, read 339,713 times

One great thing about Maryland is the sunsets in Frederick. They are beautiful. Watching the blood red sun gracefully sink under the mountain range, its wonderful, and breath-taking. Also Maryland has that great southern hospitality.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:02 PM

183 posts, read 286,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAbear View Post

One great thing about Maryland is the sunsets in Frederick. They are beautiful. Watching the blood red sun gracefully sink under the mountain range, its wonderful, and breath-taking. Also Maryland has that great southern hospitality.
Southern hospitality???? Fredneck does not represent most of Maryland

Old 02-16-2008, 07:05 PM

183 posts, read 286,691 times
Quote:

This season isn't going too bad Terp. The team has come a long way since losing to Ohio and American at home. Duke is a Top 5 team this year and haven't lost yet in the ACC. Also with beating Florida State today we're one step closer to making the tourney. I think the boys can do some damage this year

Old 02-16-2008, 07:24 PM

240 posts, read 1,065,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAbear View Post

I don't see that and I live in Frederick. All I see while the sunsets is the mcmansion roofs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland