Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 11:01 AM

29 posts, read 188,282 times

Advertisements

I live in Wrentham and work in Framingham and I am expecting a baby.
What would be the best hospital to have a baby?
What makes sense -- have the hospital close to my work place or close to home?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 11:14 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,653,607 times
I would think you'd be more likely to go into labor at home, rather than at work.

You could also choose a hospital that's a reasonable drive from both locations, like Newton-Wellesley.

I had 2 children at Norwood Hospital, and I would recommend Norwood without hesitation, but it wouldn't be all that convenient to Framingham if that is your concern.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:18 AM

Thanks. Newton-Wellesley is far from home.

How is Southboro Medical Group: OB-Gyn? Is it any good?

Should I consider Women and Infants Hospital in Providence,RI?

Old 09-13-2010, 11:34 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,653,607 times
I don't know about Southboro, but I do know some people who have had babies and Women and Infants and they've been happy. But Women and Infants is the same distance as Newton-Wellesley from Wrentham. Just depends on whether you're going North or South on 95.

I guess you're not considering Sturdy, lol.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:42 AM

925 posts, read 2,742,013 times
They don't do deliveries at Southboro Medical. They're affiliated with Metrowest Medical (which would not be my first choice).

Old 09-13-2010, 11:54 AM

165 posts, read 329,085 times
Two friends have had all of their children at Women and Infants and were happy there. I had both of my children at Sturdy and it was fine. The Sturdy maternity ward has a good reputation. Personally I prefered Sturdy because it's smaller, has huge rooms, and each room has it's own private bathroom, whereas at W & I, the rooms are very small and two adjacent rooms share a bathroom. If you are having any complications or anything other than a "normal" pregnancy I would go with W & I (there is a NICU there), otherwise Sturdy is ok.
I'd say go with the hospital where your OB has privileges and/or recommends.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:55 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
How many months along in your pregnancy are you? Are you having any complications? What hospital does your doctor recommend? Why wouldn't you trust their suggestions? I'd thjnk that you'd pick a hospital based on your OB/Gyn's affiliations and recommendations, not complete strangers on a message board.

And if you don't trust or like your doctor, then find another one ASAP.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:42 PM

I don't have a OB/Gyn doctor..I would generally just consult a local nurse for any issues that I might have.

I am 6 weeks into. Wouldn't know about any complications until my first prenatal appointment which is end of September. I wanted to know which hospital I should go to so that I can choose a good ob/gyn from that hospital.

Looks like Metro West is out...So my only options would be Sturdy or W&I.

Any other experiences with these 2 hospitals?

Old 09-13-2010, 12:49 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Well best wishes to you. I'm into the childfree lifestyle, and I don't have any friends that are planning to have kids soon. And I don't recall there having been any baby announcement threads in this forum since I've joined... so I don't think that they'll be a huge amount of response to your question.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:15 PM

853 posts, read 4,036,120 times
When I had my two kids lived in Franklin and worked in Boston. I had my first child at Tufts New England Medical Center because it was very close to my work. This was great for doctor appointments (which you will have a lot of!), but not at all easy at delivery time as I went into labor from home. I also did not like that it was a teaching hospital as I had way too many interns, residents, etc. in my room during labor! I had my second child at Norwood Hospital, which was less easy for doctor appointments, but worked well at delivery time. My biggest complaint about Norwood was that my room was so small that it was cramped to have visitors.

If I remember correctly, I think that most of the time you would go to the doctor's office, and you'd go to the hospital just once in awhile (ultra sounds and things like that). If this is correct, then my suggestion would be to try to find a conveniently located obgyn's office that's affiliated with a hospital you are comfortable with. I'd also ask your regular doctor, and people you know that have had kids that live/work in the area.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts