Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 04:24 AM

87 posts, read 213,389 times

Advertisements

I saw this on Yelp http://www.yelp.com/biz/buyers-brokers-only-boston-3 and I think they are the most logical place to go for the agent. They are truly your agent and are not connected to the seller or the listing office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 07:30 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
I think at this point Beth has committed herself to an agent. So, we don't need to keep throwing out suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irena.M View Post
I saw this on Yelp Buyers Brokers Only - South End - Boston, MA and I think they are the most logical place to go for the agent. They are truly your agent and are not connected to the seller or the listing office.
I fail to see why a certain percentage of the public is so paranoid about dual agency that they would handcuff themselves by hiring one of these agents. There are so many reasons not to hire one of these agents. Here are a few:
  • Limited availability - there aren't too many of these types of brokerages in the Boston area. Do you really want to hire someone who's office is in Boston to help you in Wayland? They're probably lucky if they can even point out Wayland on the map let alone offer you useful information about the town.
  • Puts you at a disadvantage - in an unbelievably competitive market like we had this spring/summer (and to a lesser degree even in less competitive markets) working with an agent who does not take listings puts you at a disadvantage. My clients know about my listings before they hit MLS. My listing clients often need time to clean up, stage, get pictures taken, etc and during this time period my buyer clients are informed of the new listing and often have the opportunity to view the property or even place an offer prior to the property making it to the public on MLS.
Dual agency (when one agent or agency represents both buyer & seller in the same transaction) represents such a tiny percentage of transactions. Additionally, many occurrences of dual agency are purposely caused by the buyer. Some buyers think they can negotiate a deal with the agent if they allow the agent to represent them as well. If you take out these occurrences, then the percentage of transactions which are dual agency is microscopic. So why would you put yourself in the hands of one of these "buyers only" agencies and therefore suffer the limitations of such a business model. These agencies while they put on the face of a "kinder, gentler agent" are using fear mongering to scare up business in my opinion.

Lastly I just want to say for anyone out there looking to buy a home, find yourself a hard working and trustworthy agent to represent you as a buyer. If you have representation right off the bat, you'll have little to worry about in terms of dual agency. Also, if you can't trust your agent to represent you as a dual agent then you also can't trust them to represent you as a buyer. So, don't hire them.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:22 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,649,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth66 View Post
I realize everyone may be out having fun on the 4th, but we are still looking. Trying to decide between a couple of commutes. How bad does Route 20 get from Sudbury to 128 - it would help the deciding process?
Route 20 is congested in the morning. In Sudbury, this is due to hundreds of drivers from all directions commuting into Raytheon. Closer to 128, Wayland and Weston, drivers are trying to get onto 128 and the Pike. Wayland, around town center, is one of the places in the surrounding area that floods the worst during bad rainstorms.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:32 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,649,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
Your Hubby will work in Lexington? That would seem an obvious choice then. Depending on how much house you expect for $1 mil., but I'm pretty sure you can still get a very nice house for that amount there.

Wayland, Sudbury, Lincoln, Concord, & Carlisle--it's beautiful out there. Acton is fine, but the furthest from Lexington; if I had a mil. to spend, I'd pick one of the other towns on your list.

I live in Acton and drive to Lexington quite often including peak. The good thing about that commute is that there are many different ways to get here from there and back again through back roads. You will learn them. It takes me typically 30 minutes or less for this drive. On the way back from Lexington, during peak, Bedford does have more traffic.

Carlisle, Concord or Lincoln are the best commutes of this list, depending upon what part of Lexington your husband works in, followed by Acton, then Wayland, then Sudbury.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:15 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
I was unaware that people are allowed to solicit clients on this forum. If that is not a no-no, and seems it is not, I am giving some of my friends (small business owners) links so they can participate too.
Mike did not nor has ever solicited business here.

I think his reply that he knows some towns better then others showed how professional/candid he is. He has always shown such on here . This is from me, that does not hold the average realtor in very high respect.

Knowing Lexington St in Waltham is not the same as knowing Waltham St in Lexington when they are the same street.

Funny story. Years back when moving back to MA my wife had a few interview trips to MA. On one of the trips she went to look at a house in Lexington. She liked it. Told me about it. Being a native M*******r, I said the way you describe it, it sounds like it is below Rte 2 on the Waltham side? She asked does this matter.

Like yes I live in Natick, but on the Needham side....Mike gets that one.

No such place as The Andover's. There is Andover and there is North Andover. Anyone that says they are from the Andover's, is from North Andover.

Long Island and Long Island City are not the same.......LOL

If a complete stranger in an area, my suggestion is to rent for a year and learn the lay of the land before buying. If working in Lexington I suggest renting within 10 miles of Lexington. Draw a 10 mile circle around the work location. Plenty of options to choose from.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:19 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Like yes I live in Natick, but on the Needham side....Mike gets that one.
I completely get what you're saying.

Real estate values are a funny thing. Sometimes a major factor that determines the value of a house can be seemingly microscopic at times. One corner of town can be far more valuable than another. Even streets that back up to each other can often have remarkably different value ranges. Some agent from Springfield is not going to know these kinds of nuances in a town like Bedford for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts