Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2008, 04:54 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times

Advertisements

I been watching the real estate market on the Cape for awhile and noticed that homes prices in Barnstable are pretty low compared to the a lot of the cape and south shore. I honestly would love to pick up a cheap family vacation or a (someday) retirement home on the cape in the next couple of years. And maybe Barnstable would fit the bill for me. But I must say that I don't know that much about the town. So for my research purposes I love to hear from you guys what your opinion/observations of Barnstable is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 08:24 AM

32 posts, read 121,473 times
Depends on what village you wish to live in...

Hyannis, is what we Nantucketers call "The City" It has everything you can think of, but beware of some streets in Hyannis. I have been told that certain parts of HYA are really dumpy. The airport is in HYA. Cape Cod Potato Chips are also made in Hyannis.

Barnstable, is on the north shore of the cape. The harbor is a great Kayaking destination. I have been there many times.

Cummaquid, is next to Barnstable, but a little south. Nice homes there.

W. Barnstable, is out on the Sandwich Line where Routes 6A and 149 diverge.

Marstons Mills, a really nice area, this is along route 149, and 28.

Osterville, out at the very end of Barnstable, on an island accessible only through Barnstable town lands itself.

Centerville, On Nantucket Sound. Warmest waters in the sound are found here in the summer. Very good ice cream is to be had at the Four Seas.

Cotuit, a somewhat upscale locale. Has no real harbor, save for the Cotuit Anchorage.

Wianno, This is the Creme De Le Creme of the town. Really expen$ive homes are found here. the feeling is like Greenwich, Connecticut.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:10 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,998,091 times
I would steer clear of Hyannis just because it's so congested. W. Barnstable, Osterville, Centerville, Cotuit as all good choices.
It really depends on how much traffic you want to deal with in-season.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:46 AM

119 posts, read 176,270 times
Barnstable is the largest town on Cape Cod and it has several villages like Peter states. I would say Osterville is the creme de la creme of Barnstable. I actually think Wianno is a section of Osterville but Oyster Harbors is far superior to Wianno. Hyannis is the dump of Cape Cod. Very commercial with the exception of Hyannis Port. Marstons Mills and Cotuit are very nice villages as is West Barnstable. I would say the only area to steer clear from is Hyannis unless you like being closer to the hustle and bustle. Plus, the Real Estate is cheapest in Hyannis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts