Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 08:24 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times

Advertisements

Eh... CT also has their vocational schools under the state. The issue with vocational schools is the cliff effect. Unlike charters that will give some tuition back vocational do not. I just toured Bay Path in Charlton the other day. Very impressive. Electrical, plumbing, carpentry, dentistry just started.

When I went to school in the 1990's our vocational dept was pretty bad. The lighting was horrible and frankly It looked like mostly manual labor. Bay Path is different.

Vocational schools can be expensive. Minutemen in Lexington is nearly 140 million! That's quite a bit but if it prevents unemployment rates from getting high then so be it.

I can tell you there are openings in the trades. Yes it might not be immediate huge dollars but vs what some might pay you out of a regular high school it is significantly higher.

"(I think BPS "boasted" an 80% rate of college bound students) has screwed a very large segment of the population (and economy)"

BPS only graduates 70% of students so how can 80% of them get into higher ed?

Long story short gateway cities all specialized in one thing. Pittsfield was GE, Holyoke was paper, Springfield was the armory, New Bedford and Fall River whale oil and then fishing, Lowell/Lawrence/Lynn was textiles, Brockton shoes, Taunton Silver etc. When that one industry declined jobs went down, property values went down and that attracted immigrants. Now I'm not saying that it is wrong to take advantage of cheaper housing. My apartment in springfield would easily cost 3x the price in Boston. But a small and let me emphasize the word small came over and went on the system. What do some of the poorest of poor do to pass the time? It's the same all over the world. They have kids and lots of them. An overseas example can be in Lebanon with the shia in the 70's. Anyways those kids didn't go to school and dropped out and ended up on the system and today we're dealing with generation 3. College? Try high school first.

With all the development in the area people are gradually realizing that drugs, a criminal background and debt aren't good things for a job market. If you aren't working when times are good you'll have a much harder time working when times are bad. Earlier this week HAP Housing sold off their buildings to Balise car dealerships in the south end. They are getting it leased back but still.

To be honest I don't think that cities are this point are for poorer people. The old argument that services are more easily provided certainly is true but many of these non profits have no incentives to get people off the system. If you run or work for a non profit are you really going to bite the hand that feeds you? Probably not. Can there be changes? Sure I think the war on drugs has to end and has to be more realistic. Why drug test a minimum wage cashier if it is just marijuana?

We're going to see a huge shift, it is just starting away from people on poverty.

Less use of cash. Start with coins. Pay phones are gone, arcades are gone, laundry mats fewer. Credit will be put on a card. Laundry card, EBT etc.

Automated cars are going to reduce the need for cars. Fewer garages, parking authorities, auto parts stores, auto dealerships etc

More shopping online. Pilot programs are starting now of EBT use online.

The concept that pretty much everything is recorded at all times, regardless of legalities. Take a photo of an applicant run it though a facial search. Now you have the id, cross reference ID and now you have news and potential criminal background beyond what they said. Online searches are valid for procurement and public housing. yes there is "Innocent until proven guilty" but with 24/7 monitoring and DNA guilt is more likely to occur vs the past.

Mass culture has changed. There was a time when people watched the same movies, listened to the same music and much of this was live and had a fixed physical location. Now that's over. that annoying garage band down the street actually has a following in Europe and they are going on tour. How's that possible? The internet.

Coming from ^^ That house you drive by that you think is poor isn't. The guy sells ebooks and his wife scheduled travel arrangements online. Not everything has a physical location anymore.

In short this is all amount compounding. those that invested in health, education and the ability to travel (mostly for work) survive.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:17 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,324,502 times
EBT should just go away. It's bull****. Pay your own way. Yes, bottom line. I dont care if times are tough for you and you had 3 kids. You should have thought of these things. I HATE EBT, it makes me angry. People abuse it more than they need it. **** why can't i get free groceries too. I cant even FATHOM the free phone thing.

And the only reasons cities arent for poorer people is because how expensive it is to live in them. If they werent so expensive then poor people would happily live there. I can recall a time when it WAS the poor people who lived in the city. The richer people lived in the 'burbs. That sure has changed now.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:55 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,111,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
No, I've been to clubs in Quincy (Quincy ShipYard) that have black nights at the clubs for reggae, hip hop, rnb etc. Also My cousin has been living there for 5 years and my black coworker lives here. Quincy is just barely over 5% black. I didn't put it on the list because all the other towns i listed have black populations over 10% but thees still about 4,000 black people living in Quincy and they made up a larger percentage of Quincy's public schools.

Ill take your word for it. We've lived in the Wollaston section of Quincy for years now and I can go for days, even weeks without seeing one Black or African African individual in Quincy. I see them and work with them at my work, but not in Quincy. Maybe they live in certain sections of the city.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:26 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post
I distinctly recall reading a Boston Globe article in 1998, Massachusetts was the 3rd whitest state in the country. Maine 1st, New Hampshire 2nd,Massachusetts 3rd, Vermont 4th. I believe Massachusetts is now at 20th.
Recently in a Boston Globe article on real estate, the Globe quoted stats, the majority of New Residents moving into Massachusetts is from immigration not migration from other states.
Its definitely never been 3rd whitest ever. Its always been less white than WY, VT ME NH, IA NE MT OR MN WI etc.....It's 24th. Its literally of median whiteness, just whiter than Tennessee and more white than CT and WA.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Ill take your word for it. We've lived in the Wollaston section of Quincy for years now and I can go for days, even weeks without seeing one Black or African African individual in Quincy. I see them and work with them at my work, but not in Quincy. Maybe they live in certain sections of the city.
I got no reason to lie- I've never lived there I did used to work there with several other black people for O'Sullivan flooring. My ex-girlfriend also used to work there in Target. Head to the Walmart in Quincy by the Dollar Tree and other cheap stores i dont know exactly what part. This is a picture of the typical i Shipyard advertisements I have seen. They broadcast parties for it on Boston's illegal Hip Hop station B87.7FM.

According to ACS 2011-2015 y 5 year system estimates over that period of time Quincy averaged exactly 4.99% African Americans or a numerical average of 4,646 African Americans. 7 "Census Block Groups" (these are literally just a few blocks, smaller than a census tract) came in over 15% African American with the highest being a block group of 815 people, 251 of whom were African American for a percentage of 30.80%.

Its just the social hypersegregation of Massachusetts that plugs African-Americans into this stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
GANG SHOPPING PLAZA..formerly known as South Shore Plaza-qship.jpg  

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 02-08-2017 at 08:47 AM..

Old 02-08-2017, 08:55 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,041,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
EBT should just go away. It's bull****. Pay your own way. Yes, bottom line. I dont care if times are tough for you and you had 3 kids. You should have thought of these things. .

You don't care if children go hungry?

Old 02-08-2017, 09:02 AM

^yea....Whatsnext sometimes says rally cold things i know she cant actually mean, that is why I didn't mention it...

Old 02-08-2017, 09:06 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
In 2017, I don't see how much of anything within 20 minutes walk of the red line isn't on the fast track to being gentrified.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:25 PM

636 posts, read 706,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Its definitely never been 3rd whitest ever. Its always been less white than WY, VT ME NH, IA NE MT OR MN WI etc.....It's 24th. Its literally of median whiteness, just whiter than Tennessee and more white than CT and WA.
As i posted, i distinctly recall a Boston Globe article about 1997-98 reporting Massachusetts was the 3rd Whitest State in the country. At some point I do expect to post a passage and a Link to the original Boston Globe article in this thread.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:15 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,324,502 times
Default Re

I cant see how MA could be the 3rd whitest state when compared to places in the midwest nevermind Vermont. Seems like white people have less children than any other race these days...which is also why they have more money.

And no I don't want children to go hungry...but perhaps poor people should consider keeping their legs closed. Apparently poor people really enjoy sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts