Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 06:07 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
MA has become a strange place lately. Seems like there's a high percentage of people doing incredibly well job wise with big salaries then there are lots of these gang banging, ms13, drug dealing types living on the cape and shooting up shopping malls.
New Jerseyfication/Connecticutization of MA

I think the state just has so many people running it who grew up in the 70s and 80s when there really was the most minimal of diversity in Massachusetts, our relatively large boom in minority populations has made it difficult for elected leaders to integrate these groups into the civic and economic mainstream. Most of the elected officials and mayors in heavily minority communities in this state are lily white. They are not understanding the immense scope of the demographic change in MAs urban areas Until these groups establish themselves in the next 15-25 years expect more of the same in terms of the woeful economic and social status of minority groups in MA.

It is one of the most unequal states in terms of wealth, income, and economic opportunity in this country. T Here is a very large immigrant and native born minority class that works in the service sector. They generally work at stores and for functions that the high level MA salary people work. They drive the ubers, serve the coffee, clean the homes, work in the hotels, work the retail, work the social services, etc.

for Example

Massachusetts public schools"

1993/1994 79.3% White

*a decline of slightly less than .5% for 11 years*

2004/2005 74.2% White
2005/2006 72.4% White

*a steady white student steady decline of 1% every year, every year since 2005/06*

2016/2017 61.3% White

Massachusetts' Total population
Massachusetts 1970 94% white

Massachusetts 1990 89.5%

Massachusetts 2015 72.5% white
-4.5% white population in 20 years, -17% in the second 25 years

Notice the dramatic change in racial composition after 2005

Part of this is Massachusetts began to really rapidly diversify in the early-mid 2000s. Exactly why the happened?? I'm not sure. I think for many immigrants and some native born minorities the schools-especially the urban schools- had improved so much since 1993 (last year before MCAS) more families saw Massachusetts as worth staying around in. In addition to this rising real estate prices drove many of the lower class hit population out of the state as they were more interested in buying a home than renting. Immigrants were more comfortable renting. As those whites moved out many minorities saw open space for their friends and family members to come join them in satellite cities.

In the 2000s having a black democrat governor probably accelerated the diversification process, the rejuvenation of Boston pushing many long time minorities (mainly African Americans and Puerto Ricans) to the suburbs and encouraging immigrants (Haitians, Cape Verdeans, Dominicans) to replace them in Boston proper. We also began to receive a huge number of immigrants from CENTRAL AMERICA beginning in the mid-2000s. The Hondurans, Salvadorians, and Guatemalans begin to come in earnest then as well as a good deal of Colombians.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 02-07-2017 at 07:25 AM..

Old 02-07-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
I think we're just talking about black people. Last time i checked there were no black people living in quincy.
No, I've been to clubs in Quincy (Quincy ShipYard) that have black nights at the clubs for reggae, hip hop, rnb etc. Also My cousin has been living there for 5 years and my black coworker lives here. Quincy is just barely over 5% black. I didn't put it on the list because all the other towns i listed have black populations over 10% but thees still about 4,000 black people living in Quincy and they made up a larger percentage of Quincy's public schools.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:27 AM

880 posts, read 820,556 times
Quote:
MA has become a strange place lately. Seems like there's a high percentage of people doing incredibly well job wise with big salaries then there are lots of these gang banging, ms13, drug dealing types living on the cape and shooting up shopping malls.
It's just a reflection of the economic policies from the last 15 years

The economy has been driven by low interest rates which forces companies and people to invest their money and increase risk. They invest in tech, biotech, financials

All well paid jobs while investment in other job sectors for lower income folk are disappearing ( hence the trump affect). This also pushed the price of real estate in good areas forcing poor people out or to cluster in poorer neighborhoods

Old 02-07-2017, 09:43 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,325,212 times
Default Re

Yeah that's more along the lines of what i was thinking bugelrux. I dont know why anyone would want to live here if they were poor. The schools are good but you have to be well off to live where the good ones are.

I dont know what will happen as time goes on. We cant possibly become a state that only offers 'high end jobs' if you will because clearly not eveyone is capable of doing them. I guess this is why trump won folks. most of the hillary voters were educated and have good jobs and just have no idea of what it's like to be a normal person with little to no college education in this state. They were the ones who seemed to reek of spoiled privilege to me. Oh let me just hold my black lives matter sign up then walk on in to my 180k a year biopharmacetical job.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:01 AM

880 posts, read 820,556 times
Quote:
Yeah that's more along the lines of what i was thinking bugelrux. I dont know why anyone would want to live here if they were poor. The schools are good but you have to be well off to live where the good ones are.

I dont know what will happen as time goes on. We cant possibly become a state that only offers 'high end jobs' if you will because clearly not eveyone is capable of doing them. I guess this is why trump won folks. most of the hillary voters were educated and have good jobs and just have no idea of what it's like to be a normal person with little to no college education in this state. They were the ones who seemed to reek of spoiled privilege to me. Oh let me just hold my black lives matter sign up then walk on in to my 180k a year biopharmacetical job.
I think it all comes down to our broken education system of the last several decades. For example, if college was completely free would we still have the income gap?

I would suspect yes simply because not everyone can be good at STEM and investment, these are generally v hard jobs and requires certain personalities and natural talents. I.e. If you are not naturally smart then you have to be naturally Very hardworking and persistent to keep up.

Maybe it comes down to USA having shipped all the low end jobs overseas, since not everyone can get a high paid job they can only get low end servicing jobs or jobs which force u paycheck to paycheck

Old 02-07-2017, 10:38 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
I think it all comes down to our broken education system of the last several decades. For example, if college was completely free would we still have the income gap?

I would suspect yes simply because not everyone can be good at STEM and investment, these are generally v hard jobs and requires certain personalities and natural talents. I.e. If you are not naturally smart then you have to be naturally Very hardworking and persistent to keep up.

Maybe it comes down to USA having shipped all the low end jobs overseas, since not everyone can get a high paid job they can only get low end servicing jobs or jobs which force u paycheck to paycheck
A greater investment in vocational education is needed at both the HS and post-secondary level, and the stigmatization of it needs to end. I think people are already getting it, how much the one-size-fits-all shoving college prep down everyone's throat (I think BPS "boasted" an 80% rate of college bound students) has screwed a very large segment of the population (and economy). Look to Germany.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:27 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
A greater investment in vocational education is needed at both the HS and post-secondary level, and the stigmatization of it needs to end. I think people are already getting it, how much the one-size-fits-all shoving college prep down everyone's throat (I think BPS "boasted" an 80% rate of college bound students) has screwed a very large segment of the population (and economy). Look to Germany.
Massachusetts has a state-run regional vocational-technical high school system. It's one of the few places in the country that has anything like it.

I just looked at the census.gov data. 4% population growth since 2010. "White alone" dropped from 82.1% to 80.4%. Black went from 6.6% to 8.4%. Hispanic went from 9.6% to 11.2%.

I'm concerned that what is happening is that Massachusetts has become a dumping ground in red state to blue state migration to access social services. 25% of the state budget goes to health care. If you do the Paul Ryan slash of Medicaid and just give the states block grants, Massachusetts chokes paying for Medicaid and CHIP kid Medicaid. If Paul Ryan does the same thing with Dept of Agriculture EBT/food stamps and HUD Section 8 housing, the whole thing collapses. With a state constitution that mandates a flat tax, there will be enormous resistance to raise taxes. The state will have no choice but to slash the safety net to the bone. The alternative is a 10% state income tax and a 10% state sales tax. That's politically impossible.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:34 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Massachusetts has a state-run regional vocational-technical high school system. It's one of the few places in the country that has anything like it.
But it's nothing what it should be.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

I just looked at the census.gov data. 4% population growth since 2010. "White alone" dropped from 82.1% to 80.4%. Black went from 6.6% to 8.4%. Hispanic went from 9.6% to 11.2%.

I'm concerned that what is happening is that Massachusetts has become a dumping ground in red state to blue state migration to access social services. 25% of the state budget goes to health care. If you do the Paul Ryan slash of Medicaid and just give the states block grants, Massachusetts chokes paying for Medicaid and CHIP kid Medicaid. If Paul Ryan does the same thing with Dept of Agriculture EBT/food stamps and HUD Section 8 housing, the whole thing collapses. With a state constitution that mandates a flat tax, there will be enormous resistance to raise taxes. The state will have no choice but to slash the safety net to the bone. The alternative is a 10% state income tax and a 10% state sales tax. That's politically impossible.
Those White alone and Black alone numbers include white hispanics and black hispanics. hHat is why the numbers dont add up- those are US Quick facts you're citing. the American Community Survey is a lot more accurate.

Mass is not 8.4% Black, its more like 7.0%

Mass is not 80.4% White non-Hispanic, its 72.5%.

Hispanic is about 11.5-12%

Old 02-07-2017, 11:52 AM

636 posts, read 706,596 times
I distinctly recall reading a Boston Globe article in 1998, Massachusetts was the 3rd whitest state in the country. Maine 1st, New Hampshire 2nd,Massachusetts 3rd, Vermont 4th. I believe Massachusetts is now at 20th.
Recently in a Boston Globe article on real estate, the Globe quoted stats, the majority of New Residents moving into Massachusetts is from immigration not migration from other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts