Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 06:35 AM

636 posts, read 705,781 times

Advertisements

Feb 3, 2017
Police believe the shooting inside the Macy's store at South Shore Plaza is gang-related.

By Fred HansonThe Patriot Ledger
BRAINTREE - Police believe a chance meeting between two members of rival Boston gangs led to a shooting at South Shore Plaza on Friday night.

Cops tie shooting at Braintree mall to gang activity - News - The Enterprise, Brockton, MA - Brockton, MA

South Shore Plaza in its hey day
Attached Thumbnails
GANG SHOPPING PLAZA..formerly known as South Shore Plaza-capture_2017_02_04_08_30_52_148.png  

Old 02-04-2017, 07:06 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
I'm trying to think of the last time I was in a Mall. I think the last time was the summer of 2014. I'm Amazon.com and specialty stores with the occasional Walmart/Target run for bathroom/kitchen/cleaning stuff. I can't be the only one with that kind of retail shopping pattern.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:15 AM

513 posts, read 646,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'm trying to think of the last time I was in a Mall. I think the last time was the summer of 2014. I'm Amazon.com and specialty stores with the occasional Walmart/Target run for bathroom/kitchen/cleaning stuff. I can't be the only one with that kind of retail shopping pattern.
You are not. I try to avoid malls. Parking lots are a mess and too difficult to get in and out of. I tend to shop locally and online.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:59 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This is partially tied to department stores -- they used to be the big draws to the mall. When I was a kid, we got almost everything from department stores -- almost all of the clothes for everyone in the family, most housewares, linens, cosmetics, Christmas decorations, often shoes, boots, gloves, swimwear. Sometimes even books and toys and candy. Today, I buy almost none of that from a department store.

We used to go to the mall all the time. And when I was a teen, I worked at the mall, so often I was there literally every day. Today, I still go to the mall occasionally, but it's almost always me running in by myself. My kids are at the mall maybe a couple times a year.

But, the traditional malls have largely been replaced by those outdoor town-center types of shopping centers. And the malls that do remain and those newer shopping centers are always pretty crowded when I've been there.

People will always need some kind of mall/shopping center. They'll always want to gather together and shop/eat, etc. But without as much need for a department store, it may be based more on outdoor types of malls with specialty shops.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:27 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
People will always need some kind of mall/shopping center. They'll always want to gather together and shop/eat, etc. But without as much need for a department store, it may be based more on outdoor types of malls with specialty shops.
Sure. In a lot of towns, that's the revitalized Main Street. In a perfect universe, you live close enough that you can walk to it. They're providing things that you can't get on Amazon, at Walmart/Target, or at the big box grocery store where you don't mind paying a premium.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:42 AM

The Braintree South Shore Plaza started fallIing out of grace long before Internet shopping. About 1996?, The Rapper who wrote the rap song " One in the Chamber'[a notorious rap song about killing police officers] was arrested for some crimes at Jordan Marsh at the South Shore Plaza. Incidentally, What community was the Rapper from? O yes. Not Brockton.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:40 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,067 times
Default Re

Yeah the south shore plaza suddently saw a steep increase in African Americans shopping there at some point in the early 2000s. I went to high school in braintree in the 90s, went to that mall a lot and at some point in the mid 2000s i was shocked by the change. It seems like making it nicer by adding nicer stores and restaurants attracted an interesting crowd. The natick malls and chesnut hill malls arent like this so i guess it's the close proximity to brockton, randolph or even dorchester and mattapan. They come in droves. I guess winter is worse because people want to be indoors.

There was also a shooting there in april of 2016.

They dont call it a ghetto mall for nothing i guess. Glad no one was hurt.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:49 AM

The Rapper that wrote the rap song " One in the Chamber' and arrested at the South Shore Plaza , which town was he from? Anyone?

Old 02-04-2017, 12:00 PM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Yeah the south shore plaza suddently saw a steep increase in African Americans shopping there at some point in the early 2000s. I went to high school in braintree in the 90s, went to that mall a lot and at some point in the mid 2000s i was shocked by the change. It seems like making it nicer by adding nicer stores and restaurants attracted an interesting crowd. The natick malls and chesnut hill malls arent like this so i guess it's the close proximity to brockton, randolph or even dorchester and mattapan. They come in droves. I guess winter is worse because people want to be indoors.

There was also a shooting there in april of 2016.

They dont call it a ghetto mall for nothing i guess. Glad no one was hurt.
I always thought it was when they added bus service from Dorchester (maybe Mattapan, too). A few years ago, I saw a guy go after his wife or girlfriend with a knife. Fortunately for the woman, he was on crutches so she could run away.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:18 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,067 times
Default Re

Oh yeah i didnt think of the bus service also. Im sure people take the redline to braintree also then take the bus from there.

Im not sure what brings them to braintree over a place like copley mall. I guess there's more space at the braintee mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts