Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2020, 08:21 AM

448 posts, read 282,255 times

Advertisements

My daughter who is a nursing student, getting a job at B&W - has multiple food allergies, and such.... very immune compromised.

She is on the list to get the vaccine first... It took a LONG time before we gave her the flu shot (which contained egg), until recently, when they had the egg-free version.

Dunno how I feel....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2020, 08:27 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post
My daughter who is a nursing student, getting a job at B&W - has multiple food allergies, and such.... very immune compromised.

She is on the list to get the vaccine first... It took a LONG time before we gave her the flu shot (which contained egg), until recently, when they had the egg-free version.

Dunno how I feel....

It sounds like she won't be allowed to get it.

Old 12-09-2020, 08:52 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
It sounds like she won't be allowed to get it.
It's specifically for people who go into anaphylactic shock due to an allergy and need to carry an epi pen.

I don't think it means people who break out in hives or get a headache or some other kind of reaction, the wording is "significant allergies" and then they go on to describe what they mean.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/pfizer-vac...100124251.html

Old 12-09-2020, 09:03 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Half the country is going to buy into the nutty anti-vax conspiracy. Community spread isn’t going away. We’ll still be killing grandpa a year from now.

Pfizer and Moderna didn’t do weekly testing as part of their trials. We have no idea how effective these vaccines are at stopping community spread. We just know vaccinated people don’t exhibit symptoms. Until we have months of testing data, it’s possible that lots of vaccinated people could be asymptomatic super spreaders. In my opinion, it’s unlikely but it’s certainly possible.

I figure the most likely outcome is that the vaccines are effective and there will be enough mandatory vaccination between K-12, colleges, and large employers that the anti-vax nut logs won’t be able to cripple the country.
Sort of reminds me of the shingles and chicken pox. I had family members years ago that had shingles. she was fine as everyone in the immediate family already had chicken pox. However younger kids could not be there because they hadn't had it yet.

Of course this brings up a question that is going to divide people by age. If the point of a vaccine is to save lives then those at the most risk will get it. But younger ones might not if it doesn't mean they can be more out and about.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:24 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Gov spelling out the vaccine distribution plan.

Phase 1 includes those in medical fields, police/fire and nursing homes, including staff.

Phase 2 sometime in Feb. Elderly and those with comorbidities

Vaccine for the general public is still months away, estimated for the Spring.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:02 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

Phase 1 includes those in medical fields, police/fire and nursing homes, including staff.

That's fine with me. Elderly, first responders, and frontline healthcare (and all healthcare) staff first. I'll stay at home until it's readily available for us. Progress. Finally.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:02 AM

448 posts, read 282,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's specifically for people who go into anaphylactic shock due to an allergy and need to carry an epi pen.

I don't think it means people who break out in hives or get a headache or some other kind of reaction, the wording is "significant allergies" and then they go on to describe what they mean.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/pfizer-vac...100124251.html
She carries an epi pen, and yeah, unfortunately, she goes into anaphlyaxis...

Old 12-09-2020, 12:10 PM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
This is what we are dealing with. We should be able to triage them to the back of the line - some natural selection would not go amiss.

Dr. Rebecca Karb, an emergency medicine physician and faculty member at The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University in Providence, said: "Last night, one of my (many) patients with COVID told me she had a large Thanksgiving dinner with family—22 people," "The day after, one family member tested positive. Since then (according to my patient) *ALL* 22 people have developed symptoms, some severe. We are so tired"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...cid=uxbndlbing

Old 12-09-2020, 12:20 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

Did the plan specify which comorbidities?

Old 12-09-2020, 12:24 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I'm really hopeful I'll be able to get into Phase 2 of the vaccine, even if later in Phase 2.

In the meantime, my doctor has me getting the pneumonia vaccine for the first time. Historically, my lung issues haven't put me in a high risk category for pneumonia (I'm not considered immunocompromised) but anything helps at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts