Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2020, 03:40 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
People need to keep their mouths shut about others having their parents and close family members in their home.

Do public health officials need to do so when it is their job to give recommendations based on the data they have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 03:41 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Did you get dumped or rejected by a hockey player? You continuously bring up hockey and basically refer to it as being a disgusting act that no one should be a part of right now. But you can justify plenty of other things and why people are doing them.

And OMG at having parents and Godmother over for Thanksgiving. I'm simply going to hell for that one. But getting on a plane with hundreds of others after going through an airport? No biggie.

For whatever reason you really like to dish it out to me.

It is an example of something that you are doing with no means of justifying its need, at the same time as you post that you think that airports should be shut down.

But glad that your best argument is a feeble attempt at a personal attack.

You and your family are choosing to put yourselves at risk. And that would be fine - whatever, your bad decision - if not for the risk that it then spreads to your brother-in-law (and people he comes in contact with), your aunt's coworkers, and other people at hockey or the risk of taking away a bed at a hospital for someone who didn't take such risks.

I have no problem with people taking precautions to see family. As I've said, I still see my grandmother and make sure to get tested and quarantine for 10 days each time and keep my mask on in the house. If your family member isn't important enough for you to take reasonable precautions, I don't know what to say.

Old 12-10-2020, 04:56 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,182,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Well it sounds like you all are going to get your wish. Supposedly Charlie Baker is going to eliminate all indoor dining come January. Also, non-essential retail will have to close.
Source?

Old 12-10-2020, 05:02 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Also, non-essential retail will have to close.
Assuming this pans out, how does one define non-essential retail? We all remember the grey area loopholes businesses used to remain open back in the spring.

Old 12-10-2020, 05:27 PM

9,089 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Assuming this pans out, how does one define non-essential retail? We all remember the grey area loopholes businesses used to remain open back in the spring.
Sporting goods stores? People need to exercise to stay healthy during the pandemic and if gyms are closed purchasing exercise equipment only becomes more important.

Liquor stores? Many people will become more anxious and stressed out without their alcohol fix. Suicides and domestic violence could occur.

Clothing stores? What if someone needs to replace a pair of shoes in the middle of a lockdown.

Hardware stores, auto parts stores? Wear and tear on homes and vehicles doesn't stop just because politicians declare a lockdown.

My policy would be to leave retail open. People don't congregate and chat in stores. They are running errands and getting in and out as quickly as possible, at least that is what I do.

Old 12-10-2020, 05:36 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Quote:
People need to keep their mouths shut about others having their parents and close family members in their home.

People need to "keep their mouths shut" on an internet forum? Okay then.

Yeah, inter-household transmission is still a thing*. Sorry if you don't like to hear that.

(*Except when one member of the other household is a godparent. I read that in a Trump University study).

Old 12-10-2020, 05:42 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
I work in the restaurant industry. So does my partner. So do many of our friends, as it's a fairly close-knit community here. The simple fact is many, many people in the industry would prefer to not have indoor dining--it's a health risk to staff, for one thing. But it's winter. For all the industry thought heat lamps might save it, it didn't, and it's won't. The cost of COVID-compliance to a space is not small, the financial impact of restrictions is enormous and often, not worth being open for service on any given night. But for some it might be, so they try to hang on however they can.

Unless the state or federal government providing more relief, indoor dining--which many places are not doing, by the way--is a last-ditch effort to hold on to a business/livelihood. Anyone who doesn't understand that has a great privilege not to.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:16 PM

10,015 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
Source?
I heard this twice today. Once from a club manager and also from a local elected official who talked to someone on the Governor's Council.

Apparently, the Governor of Pennsylvania did something similar today.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:27 PM

10,015 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Sporting goods stores? People need to exercise to stay healthy during the pandemic and if gyms are closed purchasing exercise equipment only becomes more important.

Liquor stores? Many people will become more anxious and stressed out without their alcohol fix. Suicides and domestic violence could occur.

Clothing stores? What if someone needs to replace a pair of shoes in the middle of a lockdown.

Hardware stores, auto parts stores? Wear and tear on homes and vehicles doesn't stop just because politicians declare a lockdown.

My policy would be to leave retail open. People don't congregate and chat in stores. They are running errands and getting in and out as quickly as possible, at least that is what I do.
That's what it was last spring. Small businesses couldn't stay open but Target and Walmart could because they sell food and have pharmacies.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:48 PM

2,350 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Home Depot and Lowes were pretty busy during the first shutdown.

Quote:
I heard this twice today. Once from a club manager and also from a local elected official who talked to someone on the Governor's Council.
Damn, I hope you are wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts