Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2020, 09:43 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,826,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I worked in the South Boston Waterfront for a number of years when buildings were going up. I think I said it already in another post a while back but that district was very poorly planned from the start. Inadequate public transit, lots of traffic, few ways to get in and out, out of the ways, no supermarket, no schools, little affordable housing, until recently little retail as well, and you have little to no sense of community. It was an economic experiment at most, a mini Shenzhen inside Boston. The whole district is going to have to go through a new re-imagining to nurse its economic health back to where it was.
Completely agree w this. Every couple months I'd see a new office building- meaning another couple hundred workers going to commute in BUT... I don't see much in terms of new bus lines or subway infrastructure. since thesebuildings sit on former parking lots, there arent many affordableparking left. It seems they are relying on people using Uber and Lyft. Majority of retail are restaurants ... again people expected to rely on food / grocery delivery. Definitely not designed for community building but adequate for the younger crowd who gets a job there for a few yrs and then move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 11:36 AM

5,955 posts, read 2,880,867 times
If Biden wins ,watch how fast Baker eases lockdowns.He will be leading the freedom with bolt cutters himself

Old 05-17-2020, 03:42 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,818,729 times
Academia must make cuts. Just look at Duke

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...pivyx0alr6fqII

So 300 people at Duke make 285,000 or more. That's 85 million each year. I'm not doubting a few are worth a high amount but that's well beyond most professors. Million dollar salaries for coaches are a thing of the past

Old 05-17-2020, 09:26 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,142,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
If Biden wins ,watch how fast Baker eases lockdowns.He will be leading the freedom with bolt cutters himself
Lay off the Limbaugh

Old 05-17-2020, 10:38 PM

880 posts, read 820,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Academia must make cuts. Just look at Duke

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...pivyx0alr6fqII

So 300 people at Duke make 285,000 or more. That's 85 million each year. I'm not doubting a few are worth a high amount but that's well beyond most professors. Million dollar salaries for coaches are a thing of the past
I assume most are tenured professors.. therefore can never be laid off?

Old 05-18-2020, 05:34 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
I assume most are tenured professors.. therefore can never be laid off?
Faculty making that much at a place like Duke will be in endowed chairs, and if they are gone it won't help the budget at all as the money just sits there; or they'll be researchers supplementing their base salary with grant research funding that they generated, again, no savings to the budget if gone...

Technically tenured faculty can be let go... its rare though. Happened at a smaller OH college a friend is at a couple of years ago, the program was eliminated.

Old 05-18-2020, 06:49 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
certainly not the time to invest in commercial real estate.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:11 AM

880 posts, read 820,223 times
One positive outcome for Boston i could see happening is if the vaccine is developed byva Boston biotech company (eg moderna, biogen)..

I could imagine it triggering a gigantic boom in biotech investment to focus on other diseases. Ie we move from investment in consumer tech to medical tech

Old 05-18-2020, 07:41 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,142,393 times
Quote:
One positive outcome for Boston i could see happening is if the vaccine is developed byva Boston biotech company (eg moderna, biogen)..

I could imagine it triggering a gigantic boom in biotech investment to focus on other diseases. Ie we move from investment in consumer tech to medical tech
As someone in Boston's R&D scene, it already is med/pharma heavy. For every Toast, there are a handful of med device sites and the vendors which support them.

Edit: at least on the hardware side.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 05-18-2020 at 08:01 AM..

Old 05-18-2020, 08:46 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,343,377 times
Quote:

Why would a vaccine cause a gigantic boom in biotech investment?
In general vaccines are not a great way to make money, biotech makes money on cancer and (in the future hopefully) neurodegenerative diseases.

Right now there is a lot of talk about coronavirus etc but the second vaccination start all the buzz is going to disappear quickly.
I am old enough to remember that this is more or less what happened with prions (eg mad cow). There was a lot of money poured when people thought this was going to spread badly, as soon as it was clearly that mad cow was going to affect very few people, the money dried up very quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts