Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2020, 08:42 AM

12,453 posts, read 9,540,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
There's no way that online school is going to become the norm. Maybe some families are finding that it works for their students (whether K-12 or college), but school is about much more than pure education. Parents of younger kids would have to figure out how to balance work (either out of the home or remotely) while enriching their child's social and experiential opportunities that would otherwise happen at school.
Countless families need both parents working to pay the bills (or are single-parent), and the adults don't have the luxury of telecommuting to watch primary and middle-school school-age children who are at home. I can see the argument being made for high schools to be virtual, but I don't think primary and middle-schools should be, for safety reasons alone.

Then there is the whole question of the effectiveness of online learning versus classroom learning. Even for college classrooms, I think physical classrooms are more effective, but that emphasis only goes up as the kids get younger. Teachers can monitor the kids in the physical classroom to see at a glance:
- who is physically present?
- who looks like they are paying attention?
- who looks confused?
...and can immediately adjust their dialogue to address issues when things go off track. These are not "nice-to-haves", this is critical basic situational awareness that is greatly compromised in an online class. I've taught college kids and even at that level, I think it's much better to have them in the classroom with you, forget about 10-yo kids sitting at home...

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 05-24-2020 at 09:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 08:50 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I don’t foresee cities becoming unpopular again either. Boston has certain had explosive growth over the past 20 years though and was hit hard by corona. So was NYC though. I don’t think that will stop people from wanting to live in either place however maybe it’s other US cities turns to experience the huge growth. I think it would be fine for Boston to slow down a bit.
Long term, I don’t think cities will cities will be unpopular either, but I think we will see a minor correction over the next 2 years or so. Between COVID fears making people nervous about crowded transit, unemployment being high (which will reduce the number of people commuting), and an uptick of remote workers, I do think people will probably be a little more car dependent. Again, at least for the next few years. Eventually, traffic will become unbearable again, the pandemic won’t be so fresh, and all of the things that make cities both desirable to many and a necessity for many more will overshadow the fears/reactions.

On a related note, my current car is a former Hertz rental. They make for great deals on lightly used cars. I’d imagine that between tens of thousands of fleet cars becoming available and the general downturn in the economy, the car industry will get hammered. But buyers may do well.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
:
:
On a related note, my current car is a former Hertz rental. They make for great deals on lightly used cars. I’d imagine that between tens of thousands of fleet cars becoming available and the general downturn in the economy, the car industry will get hammered. But buyers may do well.
On balance, the pandemic is clearly a big negative for the American economy. But in any kind of big, complex, heterogenous shift, there will always be those who find opportunities too. I agree that those who buy surplus cars from Hertz's fleet, as well as those who buy used cars whose prices may be depressed by the increased supply, will make out on those transactions.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:17 PM

604 posts, read 562,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
On balance, the pandemic is clearly a big negative for the American economy. But in any kind of big, complex, heterogenous shift, there will always be those who find opportunities too. I agree that those who buy surplus cars from Hertz's fleet, as well as those who buy used cars whose prices may be depressed by the increased supply, will make out on those transactions.
Do you really want a Nissan Sentra that's been beat to crap and probably had its maintenance deferred? Especially when car dealers are beanding over backwards, leaving stack upon stack of cash on the hood to make deals work on new cars right now?

Old 05-24-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
Do you really want a Nissan Sentra that's been beat to crap and probably had its maintenance deferred? Especially when car dealers are beanding over backwards, leaving stack upon stack of cash on the hood to make deals work on new cars right now?
I just bought a new vehicle 14 mos ago, so I won't be buying one, I don't need another vehicle. But if you're looking to save money on a used car, this is a good time to buy, as prices will be lowered, not only for Hertz vehicles but others as well - it'll be a big surge of supply in the used-car market.

Old 05-24-2020, 01:15 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
Especially when car dealers are beanding over backwards, leaving stack upon stack of cash on the hood to make deals work on new cars right now?
Not really.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:10 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,143,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Not really.
Yes really. Sales are absolute s___ right now and the service departments, which for many dealerships is their primary profit maker, have been struggling as well as mileage is down and people are avoiding unnecessary contact.

April sales were down 53% YoY. Friends in the industry confirm the numbers are very real.

Old 05-24-2020, 11:01 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,809,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
April sales were down 53% YoY. Friends in the industry confirm the numbers are very real.
Yep, got friends in the business as well and they're taking a beatin. Was considering buying out my lease next year because residual values were remaining close enough to be worth it but the impact on used values has already made that a dumb idea. I wish I was in the market for a vehicle right now.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:13 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Yes really. Sales are absolute s___ right now and the service departments, which for many dealerships is their primary profit maker, have been struggling as well as mileage is down and people are avoiding unnecessary contact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Yep, got friends in the business as well and they're taking a beatin. Was considering buying out my lease next year because residual values were remaining close enough to be worth it but the impact on used values has already made that a dumb idea. I wish I was in the market for a vehicle right now.
OK then mind telling me who these dealers are that are making all these amazing deals? Sure sales are way down, but likewise the factories have shut down and there is an inventory shortage going into the summer. I have been in contact with dealers throughout MA, ME and NH; and while they are all crying a river at the current situation they all seem hesitant to give much beyond the regular rebates which have always been available in some capacity. Even on the leftover 2019s where you would think they'd be very anxious to rid their lots of at this point...meh, maybe an extra $1500 off. One friend in the industry says it may be a few months before it really starts trickling down to the consumer, but who knows really. The factories are going to have a hard time catching up when things reopen, and dealers may be hesitant push their vehicles.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:00 AM

875 posts, read 664,957 times
The auto industry was already skating on thin ice right before any of this happened - huge amount of subprime loans, serious delinquencies and outstanding balances at all time highs.

Will be interesting to see how this shakes out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts