Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2020, 07:20 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,549,657 times

Advertisements

The auto industry must be pretty volatile right now. Many people aren’t using their cars often right now so buying a new one is not on their agenda. However I think public transportation is going to suffer greatly. The people who will use it are likely people who have no other choice. I know people who says they will not take the train or bus again. So anyone who feels that way may be in the market for a new car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 09:12 AM

880 posts, read 820,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
The auto industry must be pretty volatile right now. Many people aren’t using their cars often right now so buying a new one is not on their agenda. However I think public transportation is going to suffer greatly. The people who will use it are likely people who have no other choice. I know people who says they will not take the train or bus again. So anyone who feels that way may be in the market for a new car.
I wonder if downtown boston even has enough parking spots to handle a surge new drivers?

The mbta experience even before covid was not pleasant, i can see why folks would use any excuse to avoid it. Mbta finances/management before this was a mess.. its going to need bailout(which of course will be squandered)

Old 05-25-2020, 09:20 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
Surge? To what exactly. People in the suburbs bs aren't going to go back to boston anytime soon. Museums, Cades, restaurants, concerts, sports etc

If anything laz parking and parking authorities might go out of business

Old 05-25-2020, 09:25 AM

I’ve wondered that as well how traffic and the parking situation will be moving forward. A lot of places are having their employees work from home still so that should help for a while. However if the people who do go back into the office avoid the mbta and take cars it will still be messy.

I don’t know how the mbta will survive this. They always seem to be in financial trouble even when ridership had increased now they’ve lost like 90% of their ‘customers’. I can’t say I feel bad for them. They never cared one bit about their customers. I can’t tell you how many rude mbta employees I encountered. They did not ever want to help l, so unfriendly and some downright nasty. They made it obvious they didn’t want to answer questions from anyone. How could you not expect to occasionally be asked for questions or how long a delay would be. They should just go out of business and have someone else start from scratch lol. I’m sure that’s not possible but it’s how I feel.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:26 AM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Surge? To what exactly. People in the suburbs bs aren't going to go back to boston anytime soon. Museums, Cades, restaurants, concerts, sports etc

If anything laz parking and parking authorities might go out of business
I think he meant people going to work. I don’t think sports, museums and concerts are on anyone’s mind right now.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:45 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,809,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
OK then mind telling me who these dealers are that are making all these amazing deals? Sure sales are way down, but likewise the factories have shut down and there is an inventory shortage going into the summer.
0% for up to 84mo in some cases, big dealer discounts on aged inventory, payment deferral as high as 180 days and some even offering to make several months payments if you lose your job. GM, Volvo and BMW at least have some massive lease loyalty incentives. I've been watching a particular Suburban go down almost $5k at a dealer since March, and thats just what it is listed for. Plenty of deals to be had on the used side.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:30 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
0% for up to 84mo in some cases, big dealer discounts on aged inventory, payment deferral as high as 180 days and some even offering to make several months payments if you lose your job. GM, Volvo and BMW at least have some massive lease loyalty incentives. I've been watching a particular Suburban go down almost $5k at a dealer since March, and thats just what it is listed for. Plenty of deals to be had on the used side.
LOL. Yeah about that 0%/deferred payment scam, that is only in lieu of rebates so you would be paying close to the much overinflated MSRP/sticker price and whatever you can talk the dealer down from outside of that. Was the Suburban a 19 or 20? I got kind of baffled at how little they were willing to budge on the 2019 leftovers, and never seen anything drop so much during that period (and I had been casually looking around for trucks since last summer). The most I could find was maybe an additional $1500 rebate or so. I figured just go with a 2020, much better piece of mind there than something that's been sitting on a lot for over 6 months.

You might be right about used cars, and especially with Hertz's bankruptcy that could translate into a glut in late model former rentals. And as much as that's asking for trouble, it would most likely carry over to the rest of the used market as well.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:42 AM

The 0% is almost always instead of "customer cash" type rebates but there are several brands offering 0% AND higher than average loyalty, conquest or other rebates. If I wanted another electric GM was adding an additional $1500 rebate for loyalty electric owners. Can lease a bolt for like $100/mo effectively.

It is maddening, but unlike 1500s the Tahoe and Suburban rarely get any help in the rebate department. The suburban is a 19 but just past 36k so out of warranty. But that is probably helping the price.

Check your kbb trade in value today (just as a barometer) if you had done it in the past few months, pretty wild.

Last edited by wolfgang239; 05-25-2020 at 10:54 AM..

Old 05-25-2020, 10:54 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
The 0% is almost always instead of "customer cash" type rebates but there are several brands offering 0% AND higher than average loyalty, conquest or other rebates.
Yeah nothing seemed "higher" than average at least in relation to the regular stuff I've seen over the last 12 months, but maybe I was just looking at the wrong brands IDK. And in either case, you always give up something with the 0% gimmicks. I can get 2.25% with my credit union, the extra cash will beat that difference any day of the week.
Quote:
The suburban is a 19 but just past 36k so out of warranty. But that is probably helping the price.
OK, I only looked at new stuff. That would makes sense, if it was just out of warranty.

Quote:
It is maddening, but unlike 1500s the Tahoe and Suburban rarely get any help in the rebate department.
Because pickups have long had an overinflated MSRP, where the ongoing rebates are built into the pricing (yippee I got $9,000 off the sticker price!). Just a gimmick. It might be different with SUVs.

Last edited by massnative71; 05-25-2020 at 11:03 AM..

Old 05-25-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post

Because pickups have long had an overinflated MSRP, where the ongoing rebates are built into the pricing (yippee I got $9,000 off the sticker price!). Just a gimmick. It might be different with SUVs.
0% plus investing the difference for 3-7 years (as long as you actually do that)? No way lol. But the rest entirely depends on the exact situation and combination of rebates and creditworthiness.

Every month is truck month, unlike full size/body on frame SUVs. Wranglers, tahoes/suburbans, 4runners, sequoias, rarely see any discount. But yeah, to a certain degree it is all a game they use with trucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts