Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2020, 09:05 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,460,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Why would a vaccine cause a gigantic boom in biotech investment?
In general vaccines are not a great way to make money, biotech makes money on cancer and (in the future hopefully) neurodegenerative diseases.

Right now there is a lot of talk about coronavirus etc but the second vaccination start all the buzz is going to disappear quickly.
I am old enough to remember that this is more or less what happened with prions (eg mad cow). There was a lot of money poured when people thought this was going to spread badly, as soon as it was clearly that mad cow was going to affect very few people, the money dried up very quickly.
I kinda doubt at this point that people actually care about a vaccine. The panic stage is starting to wear off most places. We know exactly the profile of people at risk, and it's not the general population by any means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 09:30 AM

23,580 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I kinda doubt at this point that people actually care about a vaccine. The panic stage is starting to wear off most places. We know exactly the profile of people at risk, and it's not the general population by any means.
I don't know about that. Those "at risk", are a quite large portion of our economy. That's basically all or most baby boomers. If most of them are still scared to travel, eat out, etc., that loss of spending power is enormous. Herd immunity (could) eventually be achieved by other means, or vastly improved treatment/therapies could be developed...but outside of those I don't see another means of a complete recovery.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:34 AM

604 posts, read 562,562 times
Here's a good breakdown of the vaccine research. https://thereformedbroker.com/2020/0...cine-playlist/

WSJ has an article today stating Moderna is seeing good results so far (it's very early)

Old 05-18-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I don't know about that. Those "at risk", are a quite large portion of our economy. That's basically all or most baby boomers. If most of them are still scared to travel, eat out, etc., that loss of spending power is enormous. Herd immunity (could) eventually be achieved by other means, or vastly improved treatment/therapies could be developed...but outside of those I don't see another means of a complete recovery.
Not really the Baby Boomers though, we are talking Silent Generation.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:38 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,784,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Not really the Baby Boomers though, we are talking Silent Generation.
Yeah, average age of death in MA is 82.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:40 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
So be honest with you I think that there's a fair amount of employers that I have no clue what to do with this. When we talk about social distances that's fine in a box store but if you're talking about more of an inner-city atmosphere where a store can be the size of a one-bedroom apartment I think that's going to dramatically limit the cash flow of their business. I'm not against small businesses but I think it is a fair amount that simply cannot afford the covid-19 regulations.

I read a bit about the regulations that baker has submitted and to be frank with you I still don't think that we're going to go back to being in offices anytime soon. The limitation of the capacity of people to 25% is going to create an odd situation for landlords of commercial property. How exactly is a property owner supposed to determine about what lion good to have more capacity than the other without adjusting the rents?

so what that means is that if you're a small to moderate business in downtown Boston and you want to expand your going to have to negotiate that with the landlord and with other tenants and hope that they're not bringing back more people as well.

This is going to create serious equity issues for small businesses in Boston. Is the 25% proportional to all tenants or in total?

Old 05-18-2020, 10:53 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post

WSJ has an article today stating Moderna is seeing good results so far (it's very early)

Yeah. Nobody they injected it with died yet. There are dozens of other candidate vaccines out there in the world that can say the same thing.

Personally, I'll become a Gwyneth Paltrow if they shortcut the testing cycle in the name of political expediency.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:56 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,143,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Yeah, average age of death in MA is 82.
Stop quoting deaths as though there haven't been hundred in the 40's-60's which haven't been hospitalized and intubated. That s__t ain't fun, never mind the hospital bills.

If I were in my late 50's+ I wouldn't step foot in a large office or public transit. Essentially a 1 in 10 chance of ending up in MGH's ICU.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Stop quoting deaths as though there haven't been hundred in the 40's-60's which haven't been hospitalized and intubated. That s__t ain't fun, never mind the hospital bills.

If I were in my late 50's+ I wouldn't step foot in a large office or public transit. Essentially a 1 in 10 chance of ending up in MGH's ICU.
Not really, no.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:17 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,784,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Not in MA, deaths in 40s is 51, 50s is 207. Compared to 3630 for 80+. If you listened to the media, you would think this thing was ebola.

You have to draw the line somewhere because you will be shutting down too long/often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts