Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2020, 12:44 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I think he meant people going to work. I don’t think sports, museums and concerts are on anyone’s mind right now.

I actually think museums would be a big boost for many people. France and Spain have begun to open their museums with limited access through pre-purchased tickets. I am among the more isolated and cautious on this forum, but I would happily go to smaller museums like the Rose Art Museum or the Decordova, or even bigger museums like the MFA, Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, ICA, or the aquarium if access was more limited and everyone was required to socially distance and wear masks. It would be a big emotional boost for many people and a financial boost for our cultural sector.

I, for one, would be happy to pay more for an aquarium ticket if it means it won't be absolutely swamped.

Many, many friends of mine are arts professionals which has been a successful gig in the Boston area until now. Unfortunately, most museums and theaters are hemorrhaging funds and fundraising is down everywhere, so those jobs are disappearing. Unlike restaurants, there's really no stop-gap to keep museums and other cultural institutions treading water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 04:00 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,549,657 times
Yeah I guess museums could actually be a better experience with less people in them. For sure.

Old 05-25-2020, 04:05 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,402,036 times
Quote:
Yeah I guess museums could actually be a better experience with less people in them. For sure.
An artistic friend of mine (who is isolating and very careful) said that she could certainly go to a museum as she'd be able to distance from other people quite easily.

Old 05-25-2020, 04:40 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
Always read the terms of a lease or financing. Chrysler is known for huge balloon payments at the end.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:33 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,142,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
OK then mind telling me who these dealers are that are making all these amazing deals? Sure sales are way down, but likewise the factories have shut down and there is an inventory shortage going into the summer. I have been in contact with dealers throughout MA, ME and NH; and while they are all crying a river at the current situation they all seem hesitant to give much beyond the regular rebates which have always been available in some capacity. Even on the leftover 2019s where you would think they'd be very anxious to rid their lots of at this point...meh, maybe an extra $1500 off. One friend in the industry says it may be a few months before it really starts trickling down to the consumer, but who knows really. The factories are going to have a hard time catching up when things reopen, and dealers may be hesitant push their vehicles.
Depends on the model and make, obviously. You'll see more pressure end of summer/fall if (when) they're still sitting on inventory and staring down 2021 model releases.

Old 05-26-2020, 04:08 AM

12,451 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Quote:
The auto industry must be pretty volatile right now. Many people aren’t using their cars often right now so buying a new one is not on their agenda. However I think public transportation is going to suffer greatly. The people who will use it are likely people who have no other choice. I know people who says they will not take the train or bus again. So anyone who feels that way may be in the market for a new car.
I have always owned a car, but I live 38 miles outside OKS where the office is, and make decent money. I don't understand this sentiment of never taking public transportation again, if you're someone that it was working for before. And if you're someone who lives in Boston, Cambridge or an immediate suburb, and have been getting by without a car, it's a significant additional cost for vehicle ownership - purchase, insurance, fuel, maintenance and repairs, and the hassle and cost of parking a car in densely built areas.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:43 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I have always owned a car, but I live 38 miles outside OKS where the office is, and make decent money. I don't understand this sentiment of never taking public transportation again, if you're someone that it was working for before. And if you're someone who lives in Boston, Cambridge or an immediate suburb, and have been getting by without a car, it's a significant additional cost for vehicle ownership - purchase, insurance, fuel, maintenance and repairs, and the hassle and cost of parking a car in densely built areas.
Which is more likely to keep the work at home concept going.

Going back to the auto industry Nissan is planning huge cuts in production.
https://asiatimes.com/2020/05/double...n-reappraisal/

Old 05-26-2020, 07:04 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,549,657 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I think many people are never going to look at the train or bus the same again after this even if they were taking it every day. I know I’m not.

Old 05-26-2020, 07:12 AM

9,100 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
I think many people are never going to look at the train or bus the same again after this even if they were taking it every day. I know I’m not.
I am curious after COVID what modes of shared transportation cause the most concern for people?

subway train
commuter rail train
airplane
bus
cruise ship
ferry
Amtrak

Out of the above options I would feel the safest on Amtrak or a bus and I would have the most concern over airplanes, cruise ships and subway trains.

Last edited by AtkinsonDan; 05-26-2020 at 07:22 AM..

Old 05-26-2020, 07:26 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I am curious after COVID what modes of shared transportation cause the most concern for people?

subway train
commuter rail train
airplane
bus
cruise ship
ferry
Amtrak

I would feel the safest on Amtrak or a bus and I have the most concern over airplanes, cruise ships and subway trains.
Planes are the biggest concern for me right now. City buses and subways tend to crowd the most people in at rush hour when things are normal, but it'll be a while before we see a full return to pre-COVID-19 crowding on the subway. The T plans to run normal frequencies even with office capacities capped at 25%. So there should be room to spread out, and you do have the flexibility to get on/off at any stop, move cars, etc.

Planes don't offer some of that flexibility. Airlines need to fill planes up to nearly full in order to make money. We're even seeing packed flights right now. What's more, is once that cabin door closes, you're stuck until you get off at the destination. You often can't move your seat or opt to stand, so you're stuck. Plus, the air on planes is filthy. So they're my biggest concern. I honestly have always loathed cruises. Just really not my speed for vacations, and I've ended up congested/sick after each one I've been on. So they're a non-factor in my thought process, but if I was a cruiser, I'd be hesitant to get on one.

I wouldn't hesitate to get on a ferry today. Most of the ferries around here are fairly open air, and even the cabins are pretty wide open. It's the least claustrophobic option, and I could easily seat outside and away from others for the next few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts