Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 06:26 AM

16,430 posts, read 8,233,962 times

Advertisements

There's a lot of older nurses making a lot of money people want out as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2021, 06:35 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,931,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
It also seems pretty crappy to refer to anyone making 70k as a C player but I wouldn't expect anything less than geoffd. I guess anyone who is a teacher, social worker or anyone making that amount is just a worthless average person.
I wouldn't say "C" performers at the individual level but more at the industry level. Low-margin industries (not low-quality people) are leaving and are replaced by high-margin ones.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:18 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,344,596 times
The vast majority of people that actually perform research in all of the Boston universities (grad students, post-docs, instructors, lab technicians) make less than 70k/year.
Considering that universities are the thing that makes the Boston area special nationwide (and worldwide) it could be a big problem to squeeze the roots of your entire tree in the medium term.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:20 AM

23,619 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
The vast majority of people that actually perform research in all of the Boston universities (grad students, post-docs, instructors, lab technicians) make less than 70k/year.
Considering that universities are the thing that makes the Boston area special nationwide (and worldwide) it could be a big problem to squeeze the roots of your entire tree in the medium term.
Right.

Old 06-24-2021, 11:32 AM

16,430 posts, read 8,233,962 times
Universities don't pay that well unless you're a Professor or a Dean.

Old 06-24-2021, 12:58 PM

604 posts, read 562,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
If you’re in the $700-$800K range now, you’re still in a pretty good spot. If you’re in that range and have patience you can still have a good selection of houses in Waltham. Although you could probably pick up a more attractive house in Newton or Watertown for the same price if you hunt and again have patience.
Redfin shows exactly two SFH's in Newton for under 800K. Chances are they would go over ask anyway.

Newton is not stealing any house sales from Waltham, believe me.

Old 06-24-2021, 01:15 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,032,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
Redfin shows exactly two SFH's in Newton for under 800K. Chances are they would go over ask anyway.

two way different groups of people look in Newton and Waltham.

Old 06-24-2021, 01:50 PM

133 posts, read 261,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Inflation causes all kinds of strange things. The Fed has been denying inflation for the last 20 years... its now very obvious it was all a lie
I'm not an economist but I think what has happened would not be considered inflation. There is an asset bubble caused by 20 years of the Fed maintaining very low interest rates and lots of liquidity. Thus money enters the economy and moves into asset classes other than debt. Non-debt assets which includes stocks, real estate, startups, etc. The net effect has a bubble in a variety of asset classes. So prices of real estate have gone up not because costs have gone up but because there is additional demand for the assets. However, that demand comes partly from artificial stimulation supplied by the Fed.

Old 06-24-2021, 02:00 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,219,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post

Like I said you have to hunt. They’re just not going to jump out at you in the middle of a random day. You could be sitting 6 months to a year.

Old 06-24-2021, 05:43 PM

23 posts, read 28,938 times
I live in Waltham with two children and my wife and we just like it here more than the neighboring towns. There's a lot to do here and a lot of good food. We could have afforded a condo/town house in Newton or Arlington, but honestly the schools were the only "down side" and we like the idea of sending our kids to a school with less pressure, more diversity. Our kids are not school aged yet but we've heard nothing but good things from other parents in the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts