Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2024, 06:46 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,121,777 times

Advertisements

Couple more data points that tell me what the job market is like right now, at least anecdotally:

- An unemployed friend told me she was one of almost 2,000 applicants for a remote job (in healthcare) and was lucky enough to at least secure an interview through networking.
- (Financial services) We're looking to hire a couple of interns and easily have 5x more applicants than in years past and for the first time in at least five years are seeing applicants from ivy league schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 07:52 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
Couple more data points that tell me what the job market is like right now, at least anecdotally:

- An unemployed friend told me she was one of almost 2,000 applicants for a remote job (in healthcare) and was lucky enough to at least secure an interview through networking.
- (Financial services) We're looking to hire a couple of interns and easily have 5x more applicants than in years past and for the first time in at least five years are seeing applicants from ivy league schools.
Anecdotally, we have a few searches now and haven't lost any candidates due to lack of remote options. That wasn't the case a year ago.

Old 03-05-2024, 08:05 AM

12,822 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post

I had lunch the other day in Boston with my cousin who was in town for an interview. He's a software engineer and has been out of work since October. After months of unsuccessful interviews, he's giving up on focusing only on remote work. He just built a home almost on the Cape because he "wasn't going to need to commute."

At my company, we had trouble recruiting 1.5-2 years ago. We had several attractive (IMO) openings that we didn't received a single application meeting the minimum qualifications. Not so anymore. We're getting between 50-100 applications for most openings. Sometimes even more. Most of these require at least 3 days in the office per week.

Old 03-05-2024, 08:08 AM

16,300 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I had lunch the other day in Boston with my cousin who was in town for an interview. He's a software engineer and has been out of work since October. After months of unsuccessful interviews, he's giving up on focusing only on remote work. He just built a home almost on the Cape because he "wasn't going to need to commute."

At my company, we had trouble recruiting 1.5-2 years ago. We had several attractive (IMO) openings that we didn't received a single application meeting the minimum qualifications. Not so anymore. We're getting between 50-100 applications for most openings. Sometimes even more. Most of these require at least 3 days in the office per week.
Ugh that stinks about your cousin who built a house on the cape thinking he could always be remote. I'm not sure why younger people in particular would think they never had to return to an office. If I was in his situation I absolutely would not want to be commuting to Boston from cape. Hopefully he can find something closer.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:36 AM

3,584 posts, read 1,816,957 times
Apparently some companies are having trouble recruiting to cover the midwest. I had a call with a recruiter the other day and unbeknownst to me it was for a position that was to cover clients primarily in the midwest. I politely asked if she saw from my resume that I am based in the northeast and asked how much face time would it entail going to see clients in the midwest and she said 30-40%. I said no thank you, that is too much air travel for me...but feel free to reach back out when you have northeast openings!

Old 03-05-2024, 11:35 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
This is exactly the kind of thing I've been talking about.

If it's close to the Cape, there are options commuting Downtown. Not pretty ones... but there are busses that stop at the Sagamore and then goes straight to South Station. Or drive and take the commuter rail.

Old 03-05-2024, 11:39 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
This is exactly the kind of thing I've been talking about.

If it's close to the Cape, there are options commuting Downtown. Not pretty ones... but there are busses that stop at the Sagamore and then goes straight to South Station. Or drive and take the commuter rail.
There's also places to work on the south shore...not as many...but it doesn't sound like he's in the position to be too picky if he's out of work right now.

I just can't imagine BUILDING a house on the CAPE to live in full time unless i knew FOR SURE that I didnt have to return to the office. That was kind of dumb. I say this as someone who is a huge advocate of WFH but that was just risky. know people who did move further out away from the city...and at this time they only need to go in once a week.

I do know of a few people who moved out of state once their jobs turned remote...it seems that they are still in those remote positions for now. Many of these folks also have a working spouse to lean on.

I guess the other option is sell the new cape house.

Old 03-05-2024, 11:47 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I just can't imagine BUILDING a house on the CAPE to live in full time unless i knew FOR SURE that I didnt have to return to the office. That was kind of dumb.
The current employers policy doesn't mean much if you lose that job.

Old 03-05-2024, 11:51 AM

3,584 posts, read 1,816,957 times
Moral of the story...nothing is really stable these days when it comes to employers...always make sure you have a nice nest egg to fall back on. I don't think 6 months worth is enough even thought that's what most financial gurus recommend. I'd say more along the line of 1 year's worth.

Old 03-05-2024, 11:52 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
The current employers policy doesn't mean much if you lose that job.
not sure what you mean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts