Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 01:30 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times

Advertisements

Without getting too detailed and long-winded, i see it from more of a general slowdown. Consumers aren't buying, so demand isn't there. When demand isn't there, hard to justify investments into new ventures.

I could probably hire two engineers and keep them busy with what I want to work on. But i can't for now.

But it's strange because the annual bonus paid out so folks timed it and are giving notice to head off to other ventures. Have a few colleagues leaving in early Feb. I just did a market adjustment for one of my top employees because I cannot afford for them to leave. If you are talented you can probably move around right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2024, 02:36 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,040 times
In the tech space, particularly SaaS companies, I think it's a double whammy of lower demand and higher return expectations from venture capital firms. When interest rates were rock bottom, there was more of a willingness to invest in average performing projects. When the cost of capital goes up, they have to be choosier about who to invest with which means these companies need to run much more efficiently.

Old 01-17-2024, 03:30 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I'm hearing of more layoffs happening...someone I know personally has been laid off. finance industry...he was going in every day to the office

A few people I know at an ed tech place have been laid off as well.
Just goes to show that showing face in the office doesn't mean you're less likely to get laid off than a WFH person.....for all those anti-WFH'ers out there on our city data forum! lol

Old 01-18-2024, 06:04 AM

17,726 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
I'm hearing of more layoffs happening...someone I know personally has been laid off. finance industry...he was going in every day to the office

A few people I know at an ed tech place have been laid off as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Just goes to show that showing face in the office doesn't mean you're less likely to get laid off than a WFH person.....for all those anti-WFH'ers out there on our city data forum! lol
Leap of logic. Unsupported conclusion.

Old 01-18-2024, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Leap of logic. Unsupported conclusion.
It's not exactly far fetched. There are people out there who honestly believe putting in an extra effort to show face and be in office more is going to secure their roles and give them a leg up....not always the case. I heard on CBS Boston last night MA is ranked one of the worst states for driving...no surprise...but it did mention that folks here lose 50 hours a year on average of their life sitting in traffic in this state...thought that was interesting! Maybe folks would wake up and smell the coffee if they look at it that way. Why give corporate America that much of your life...it's not like they really give a hoot about their employees that much!!

Old 01-18-2024, 10:34 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default re

Quote:
It's not exactly far fetched. There are people out there who honestly believe putting in an extra effort to show face and be in office more is going to secure their roles and give them a leg up....not always the case. I heard on CBS Boston last night MA is ranked one of the worst states for driving...no surprise...but it did mention that folks here lose 50 hours a year on average of their life sitting in traffic in this state...thought that was interesting! Maybe folks would wake up and smell the coffee if they look at it that way. Why give corporate America that much of your life...it's not like they really give a hoot about their employees that much!!
it wasn't the case with the finance person I know. He was there every damn day. He wasn't particularly high up on the totem poll though. It's sad...the people at the top don't have a thing to worry about for the most part.

Old 01-18-2024, 10:43 AM

Quote:
it wasn't the case with the finance person I know. He was there every damn day. He wasn't particularly high up on the totem poll though. It's sad...the people at the top don't have a thing to worry about for the most part.
I hate to say this but in my experience it seems like the higher up someone is, the less they work they do but the more they get paid. They're usually good at being like a politician, drinking the company kool -aid and telling others what to do even if what they're saying needs to be done doesn't make much sense. I wanna make $300-400K a year to be a circus director too! lol

Old 01-18-2024, 10:45 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default re

Quote:
I hate to say this but in my experience it seems like the higher up someone is, the less they work they do but the more they get paid. They're usually good at being like a politician, drinking the company kool -aid and telling others what to do even if what they're saying needs to be done doesn't make much sense. I wanna make $300-400K a year to be a circus director too! lol
I know someone who is an HR VP, she makes around 400k a year but she always ends up having issues with people, lol. So she has been at quite a few different companies and currently has been out of work for almost 2 years...but when she does get jobs she gets paid well.

Old 01-18-2024, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I know someone who is an HR VP, she makes around 400k a year but she always ends up having issues with people, lol. So she has been at quite a few different companies and currently has been out of work for almost 2 years...but when she does get jobs she gets paid well.
That's quite ironic to be in a VP level of HR and have issues with people! Well, at 400K a year...you should certainly be able to carry yourself thru a couple years of unemployment in between gigs as long as you're not a spendthrift and keep your housing overhead in check!

Old 01-18-2024, 11:54 AM

17,726 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
I heard on CBS Boston last night MA is ranked one of the worst states for driving...no surprise...but it did mention that folks here lose 50 hours a year on average of their life sitting in traffic in this state...thought that was interesting! Maybe folks would wake up and smell the coffee if they look at it that way. Why give corporate America that much of your life...it's not like they really give a hoot about their employees that much!!
I would think more than 50 hours a year sitting in traffic. That's only an hour a week. 12 minutes a day. 6 minutes each way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts