Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2009, 09:21 AM

3 posts, read 15,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
Because of people like you that call us "Masssholes" and use run on sentences. You need to use a period after the word area. It would make your post easier to read.
Agreed. I know, growing up in Boston, I've come into bad contact with people from out of state. Some of the people come off as though they are better than us. I am by no means saying all out of state people are like that. Many people, in my opinion, have left a lasting impression on Mass residents. Myself included. Not to positive.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:02 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Remembering my driving experiences in Naples, Italy. You can be in the left lane on the Autostrada going close to 80 mph when you see headlights flashing and a vehicle descending rapidly upon you going close to 100. Then you switch back in the right lane and can get stuck behind someone who is going much slower than you. Ah, but that's only one of many interesting experiences when driving over there. Maybe all that has changed since the 80's ?
No. My uncle spent 35 years living various parts of Europe. He's retired in Oregon right now and his major gripe is people who go slow in the left lane and don't get out of the way when a faster car comes up behind them. He says in Europe it's a major violation to pass on the right, but you never have to since slowpokes in the left lane will GET OUT OF THE WAY when someone else wants to go faster.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:54 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,440,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-In-Mass View Post
WOW, well this MASS-hole thing is going on for a while, and rightfully so!

It is true, rude and if not RUDE then at least TOTALLY impersonable. Like, "if you don't know me don't talk to me" that is their attitude. And, even if you do know them, maybe had met but weren't best friends, well it's the same. Small talk ONLY. like, "nice weather huh?" (meaning, how do you like this wind-driven ice pelting rain storm?) or, "hey what's up" & expect only "not much" & the person to run the other way.
GEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZ PEOPLE... what the heck? I don't know what is wrong with these people.
I've tried to talk to people, say I went to a neighborhood bar, made small talk like i'd do anywhere in the country. I get looked at like "do i know you, are you talking to ME? what do you want??" Honestly it's so weird. They always think that there is some weird motive to why you may say "how ya doin" or whatever. Is the whole place paranoid, all schizo?
Plus always Pee'd off, or acting like it. Until they see someone they know, then it's all hunky-dory. Too weird.
They all know each other from pilgrim times I guess. If you have been elsewhere you're contaminated with knowing what the other towns outside their border looks like.
It is BORING being there & not knowing anyone. If an un-lucky soul does talk to you, well then they are ostrasized from the joint as well. you'll both get stared at til you leave.
It's nuts, all the way around...driving, everything..I hate the state of m*******, it should come with "warning, hazardous to your health" on the "entering the state of ...." signs!!!!
BARF!!!!!!!!!
We're about to move to MA (not by choice, by Recession).
You're giving us quite the scare. I am praying you exaggerated a bit.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:16 PM

15 posts, read 48,084 times
Don't come to the Cape. Everyone thinks they are on vacation so everyone should be. They leave their brain and manners home. We have one highway down the center and when people decide to drive 35mph on the highways, you should see the lines form. One 13 mile long section is single lane, image that when the front car is driving 35-40 on a 50mph road. I have also driven in Europe and have found that if you are driving to slow and don't get out of the way you will be driven out of the way. We need some of that here. Last time I checked we have a law about left lane for passing, not for sightseeing at 35. I believe that driving on the Cape is about as bad as it gets, and impossible on a rainy summer day.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:18 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
he isnt

Old 09-16-2009, 09:23 PM

38 posts, read 121,505 times
Default No one ruder than me... yet

You know I just moved here myself from the west coast. I have lived all over the US, Los Angeles, Seattle, Austin, Phoenix, St Louis and so on... I was told before moving here that MA had a reputation of having rude people. Mass**les I believe they were referred to. You know, I have to say, to date I have yet to meet someone ruder than I am. Now no one has knocked on my door with a pineapple upside down cake to welcome me - so if that is rude then there you have it. I love it here, people say hi in passing and do not pry!

Old 09-16-2009, 09:58 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,440,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restoguy View Post
You know, I have to say, to date I have yet to meet someone ruder than I am.!

Old 09-17-2009, 09:32 AM

379 posts, read 1,418,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Exaggerating?...Ya think?! Don't be scared...

Something to note about Mass...the different communities & areas have completely different personalities and "vibes". Living in Western Ma. vs. the Boston area...Revere & Marblehead are about 6 miles apart and you might as well be on another planet.

In general your stereotypical "ma-hole" may come off brash, a bit too honest, sarcastic... maybe with a dark sense of humor but you will always know where they stand, are very generous & are real, not phony.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:26 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restoguy View Post
I was told before moving here that MA had a reputation of having rude people. Mass**les I believe they were referred to. You know, I have to say, to date I have yet to meet someone ruder than I am.
There is more than one way to interpret this.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:12 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
Overall I found people from Mass to be somewhere down the middle, maybe a bit more reserved than other New Englanders, but not terribly rude. Drivers suck in this state, but I've encountered bad drivers everywhere, especially from Florida. I'm from NYC, so I can't really complain too much about drivers here, it's worse in NY. I found folks from all over New Hampshire to be very friendly overall. I do see a difference when I go to NH as opposed to Mass or R.I. I think it has to do with the proximity to the city (Boston and Providence). I think the further you get from Boston, the friendlier the people are, same with any large city. Even then, living in the big city causes you to move at a faster pace which can be interpreted by some as rude. Doesn't necessarily make it so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts