Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 05:30 PM

399 posts, read 581,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
im not particulary smart , i assure you , im just morbidly introspective ,i dont actually value deep lntelectualism as a person ,when i was younger i was pretty much a guy who liked to roughhouse with my fratboy friends , i sort of became intelectural through depression , im not a naturally intelectual type and i sort of resent it
I feel like you're growing so I hope you don't cut that short. I see a lot of myself in you. Or should it be the other way around since you're older? Idk what you're like offline (prolly a softy), but I hope you let God transform your life...even if you don't believe in Him.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:24 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinieRN View Post
I feel like you're growing so I hope you don't cut that short. I see a lot of myself in you. Or should it be the other way around since you're older? Idk what you're like offline (prolly a softy), but I hope you let God transform your life...even if you don't believe in Him.
I'm 34 but atheism is the only logical position for me now , no going back , I remember praying to god the morning I went overseas , he didn't answer , the opposite in fact

Old 05-03-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
I'm 34 but atheism is the only logical position for me now , no going back , I remember praying to god the morning I went overseas , he didn't answer , the opposite in fact
You're still really young but you're still older than me. I got some years...

I know you're an atheist and it can feel like God doesn't answer. I won't impose on you, as you know. Listen to your inner self, that voice in your heart. That voice is always there guiding us, but as someone once said to me, "We often ignore it".

Old 05-03-2012, 06:49 PM

7 posts, read 7,365 times
i have also been known to throw amazing pity parties, where i am the guest of honor, dishonor, party crasher, life of the party, and of course debbie downer..

i actually have come to realize that i am such a loser that had i not been blessed with the benefit of good genetics and an infinitly solid upper middle class upbringing, i would probably be a squatter in india...living directly on the dump in case i need to build an addition or something...

seriously, i marvel at how spectacular my failure has been. how i ended up where i am having started where i started...

Old 05-03-2012, 10:33 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
I received this in an e-mail today and it reminded me of this thread so I thought I would share it with you:

A CARROT, AN EGG, AND A CUP OF COFFEE...

You will never look at a cup of coffee the same way again.

A young woman went to her mother and told her about her life and how things were so hard for her. She did not know how she was going to make it and wanted to give up. She was tired of fighting and struggling. It seemed as one problem was solved, a new one arose.

Her mother took her to the kitchen. She filled three pots with water and placed each on a high fire. Soon the pots came to boil. In the first she placed carrots, in the second she placed eggs, and in the last she placed ground coffee beans. She let them sit and boil; without saying A word.

In about twenty minutes she turned off the burners. She fished the carrots out and placed them in a bowl. She pulled the eggs out and placed them in a bowl.

Then she ladled the coffee out and placed it in a bowl. Turning to her daughter, she asked, "Tell me what you see." "Carrots, eggs, and coffee," she replied.

Her mother brought her closer and asked her to feel the carrots. She did and noted that they were soft. The mother then asked the daughter to take an egg and break it. After pulling off the shell, she observed the hard-boiled egg.

Finally, the mother asked the daughter to sip the coffee. The daughter smiled, as she tasted its rich aroma the daughter then asked, "What does it mean, mother?"

Her mother explained that each of these objects had faced the same adversity: boiling water. Each reacted differently. The carrot went in strong, hard, and unrelenting. However, after being subjected to the boiling water, it softened and became weak. The egg had been fragile. Its thin outer shell had protected its liquid interior, but after sitting through the boiling water, its insides became hardened. The ground coffee beans were unique, however. After they were in the boiling water, they had changed the water.

"Which are you?" she asked her daughter. "When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?

Think of this: Which am I? Am I the carrot that seems strong, but with pain and adversity do I wilt and become soft and lose my strength?

Am I the egg that starts with a malleable heart, but changes with the heat? Did I have a fluid spirit, but after a death, a breakup, a financial hardship or some other trial, have I become hardened and stiff? Does my shell look the same, but on the inside am I bitter and tough with a stiff spirit and hardened heart?

Or am I like the coffee bean? The bean actually changes the hot water, the very circumstance that brings the pain. When the water gets hot, it releases the fragrance and flavor. If you are like the bean, when things are at their worst, you get better and change the situation around you.

When the hour is the darkest and trials are their greatest, do you elevate yourself to another level? How do you handle adversity? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?

May you have enough happiness to make you sweet, enough trials to make you strong, enough sorrow to keep you human and enough hope to make you happy.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the most of everything that comes along their way. The brightest future will always be based on a forgotten past; you can't go forward in life until you let go of your past failures and heartaches.

When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling.

Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying.

May we all be COFFEE!

We can endure anything if we depend on God for everything.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:51 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I received this in an e-mail today and it reminded me of this thread so I thought I would share it with you:

A CARROT, AN EGG, AND A CUP OF COFFEE...

You will never look at a cup of coffee the same way again.

A young woman went to her mother and told her about her life and how things were so hard for her. She did not know how she was going to make it and wanted to give up. She was tired of fighting and struggling. It seemed as one problem was solved, a new one arose.

Her mother took her to the kitchen. She filled three pots with water and placed each on a high fire. Soon the pots came to boil. In the first she placed carrots, in the second she placed eggs, and in the last she placed ground coffee beans. She let them sit and boil; without saying A word.

In about twenty minutes she turned off the burners. She fished the carrots out and placed them in a bowl. She pulled the eggs out and placed them in a bowl.

Then she ladled the coffee out and placed it in a bowl. Turning to her daughter, she asked, "Tell me what you see." "Carrots, eggs, and coffee," she replied.

Her mother brought her closer and asked her to feel the carrots. She did and noted that they were soft. The mother then asked the daughter to take an egg and break it. After pulling off the shell, she observed the hard-boiled egg.

Finally, the mother asked the daughter to sip the coffee. The daughter smiled, as she tasted its rich aroma the daughter then asked, "What does it mean, mother?"

Her mother explained that each of these objects had faced the same adversity: boiling water. Each reacted differently. The carrot went in strong, hard, and unrelenting. However, after being subjected to the boiling water, it softened and became weak. The egg had been fragile. Its thin outer shell had protected its liquid interior, but after sitting through the boiling water, its insides became hardened. The ground coffee beans were unique, however. After they were in the boiling water, they had changed the water.

"Which are you?" she asked her daughter. "When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?

Think of this: Which am I? Am I the carrot that seems strong, but with pain and adversity do I wilt and become soft and lose my strength?

Am I the egg that starts with a malleable heart, but changes with the heat? Did I have a fluid spirit, but after a death, a breakup, a financial hardship or some other trial, have I become hardened and stiff? Does my shell look the same, but on the inside am I bitter and tough with a stiff spirit and hardened heart?

Or am I like the coffee bean? The bean actually changes the hot water, the very circumstance that brings the pain. When the water gets hot, it releases the fragrance and flavor. If you are like the bean, when things are at their worst, you get better and change the situation around you.

When the hour is the darkest and trials are their greatest, do you elevate yourself to another level? How do you handle adversity? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?

May you have enough happiness to make you sweet, enough trials to make you strong, enough sorrow to keep you human and enough hope to make you happy.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the most of everything that comes along their way. The brightest future will always be based on a forgotten past; you can't go forward in life until you let go of your past failures and heartaches.

When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling.

Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying.

May we all be COFFEE!

We can endure anything if we depend on God for everything.

if you depend on god for everything , you better be good at enduring because you will have not a pot to **** in or a window to throw it out

Old 05-04-2012, 06:38 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My Holocaust survivor great aunt (by marriage) would show you what a crappy hand is (with her own, tattooed, 90 year old arm!) is you dared say something so foolish for her.

People tell me that I'm lucky all the time for beating cancer. I tell them that there's absolutely nothing lucky about getting cancer at 23, beating it, and then living the rest of your crippled with fear and unable to do some of the things that were the most important to you (have children, join the Peace Corps, change jobs). Surviving with a lifetime of survivor's guilt and tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills is not lucky.
I guess that's the different between pessimistic and optimistic people. Yes, getting cancer at a young age sucks. But you beat it - I call that pretty lucky.

The sad part is that you've now made the choice to live your life in fear, and choosing not to do things that would have made you happy and fulfilled. How many years have you wasted? And why do you have survivor's guilt?

Old 05-04-2012, 06:40 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Can you show me one survivor who feels they were lucky? I mean one that you know?

I think you are very wrong when you say most unhappy people absolve themselves of all responsibility for their lives. That is a sweeping generalization. There are plenty of people out there who would say...if I had it to do over, hence they KNOW they could have done things differently. Of course, hindsight is 20/20.

It's unfair to say they blame everyone else and spend their lives wallowing in self pity - yet another sweeping generalization. I do blame the person who sexually assaulted me for doing so. That is against the law and a violation. Does this mean I blame everyone else for my life? Some people deserve to be blamed for what they have done. Child abusers, killers, and just creepy people in general. It is not as simple as you make it seem.
The person that abused you is to blame, certainly. But they are NOT to blame for the years that you've held on to that.

I also know you blame your real estate agent for YOU not doing your due diligence with regards to your current home. Am I not right?

Old 05-04-2012, 08:03 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I guess that's the different between pessimistic and optimistic people. Yes, getting cancer at a young age sucks. But you beat it - I call that pretty lucky.

The sad part is that you've now made the choice to live your life in fear, and choosing not to do things that would have made you happy and fulfilled. How many years have you wasted? And why do you have survivor's guilt?
For god's sake, the girl is 23 years old and just finished chemo, has been handed the information that she will not be able to have children and doesn't know when the disease might return. Enough with the haughty lecture. You are one unkind human being.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:36 AM

Giving ring the benefit of a doubt, he was trying to inspire. What happened from there, lord knows. But he had good intentions, just maybe poor word choice...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health